TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
So how does it work in Ontario do Ottawa listen to the same tsn radio as Toronto?

Ottawa has TSN 1200, as @garce said it's a mix of local programming, ESPN and FOX radio filling in but they cover all the local sports teams (Senators, RedBlacks, 67s, etc).

I listen via TuneIn. I know people like to complain about some of the personalities on the Toronto TSN radio, but holy smokes the professionalism difference between the two stations is laughable at times.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Speaking of awful segments: Gerry's Percentages is way past its due date. The 'Gerry' recordings can be funny every once in a while but they spend like 12-15 minutes on the segment every time. It's way too long for a gimmicky bit. Give me good conversation instead, please.

I roll my eyes a bit whenever Gerry's voice starts. I simply wait for him to stop. The topic they cover and conversation itself is pretty good.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ottawa has TSN 1200, as @garce said it's a mix of local programming, ESPN and FOX radio filling in but they cover all the local sports teams (Senators, RedBlacks, 67s, etc).

I listen via TuneIn. I know people like to complain about some of the personalities on the Toronto TSN radio, but holy smokes the professionalism difference between the two stations is laughable at times.

Theyre all like that, from Montreal to Vancouver. None of them compare to the production quality of Toronto.

The worst hockey show in Canada by a long shot is Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer. Listening to him you'd swear the Oilers were in the middle of a dynasty. I can distinctly remember him saying a few years ago "There is no chance the Oilers trade Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Nail Yakupov".

Lol

Reactions: The Rat King

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Theyre all like that, from Montreal to Vancouver. None of them compare to the production quality of Toronto.

The worst hockey show in Canada by a long shot is Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer. Listening to him you'd swear the Oilers were in the middle of a dynasty. I can distinctly remember him saying a few years ago "There is no chance the Oilers trade Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Nail Yakupov".

Lol
Well he was right on 1 of the 4. Damn I wanna listen to other teams crappy radio now

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
So how does it work in Ontario do Ottawa listen to the same tsn radio as Toronto?

I'm a dyed in the wool Sens fan but I've been listening to Hayes, Noodles and O-Dog since their Leafs Lunch days. I fell in love with their chemistry and I've never looked back.

TSN1200 in Ottawa is unlistenable since it basically has a 1:1 commercial to content ratio. Their 2-6pm drive home show hosted by Ian Mendes is actually pretty good but other than that they're struggling.

Last edited:

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I am originally from Toronto, but live in California and so I dont get a lot of hockey talk so I listen to 3 different hockey podcasts: Overdrive, Steve Dangle Podcast, and 31 Thoughts.

I try to watch NHL Network, but they never go indepth about interesting topics. It is a network of grown men who are former professional hockey players, but it seems like their programs are directed toward 10-15 year old kids or toward casual fans, but it usually is not casual fans that watch networks like that. Plus, I am not a fan of the cheerleader type of stuff they do. Like if a player scores short side, sometimes it is a nice shot, but usually a goal like that is a bad goal. NHL Network will say it was a great play, these other shows will say that the goalie was out of position.

So that is what I like about those podcasts. They talk about stuff that the casual fan would not know and are not *always* trying to promote their biases. They definitely talk about the on the surface kind of stuff, but can and do go a bit further with it.

On Overdrive I truly enjoy Ray Ferraro's insight. If I cant listen to the full show in a day I will at least listen to Hour 2 just to hear what Ferraro had to say about whatever topic they decide to talk about.

On the SDP they are definitely Leafs-centric but that is fine and while they usually do talk about great things about the Leafs they do mention stuff the Leafs are bad at and are willing to say not everything is rosy.

31 Thoughts is just fantastic for lesser known behind the scenes type of stories. They also have guests from areas of the sport that people would not normally talk about.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I am originally from Toronto, but live in California and so I dont get a lot of hockey talk so I listen to 3 different hockey podcasts: Overdrive, Steve Dangle Podcast, and 31 Thoughts.

I try to watch NHL Network, but they never go indepth about interesting topics. It is a network of grown men who are former professional hockey players, but it seems like their programs are directed toward 10-15 year old kids or toward casual fans, but it usually is not casual fans that watch networks like that. Plus, I am not a fan of the cheerleader type of stuff they do. Like if a player scores short side, sometimes it is a nice shot, but usually a goal like that is a bad goal. NHL Network will say it was a great play, these other shows will say that the goalie was out of position.

So that is what I like about those podcasts. They talk about stuff that the casual fan would not know and are not *always* trying to promote their biases. They definitely talk about the on the surface kind of stuff, but can and do go a bit further with it.

On Overdrive I truly enjoy Ray Ferraro's insight. If I cant listen to the full show in a day I will at least listen to Hour 2 just to hear what Ferraro had to say about whatever topic they decide to talk about.

On the SDP they are definitely Leafs-centric but that is fine and while they usually do talk about great things about the Leafs they do mention stuff the Leafs are bad at and are willing to say not everything is rosy.

31 Thoughts is just fantastic for lesser known behind the scenes type of stories. They also have guests from areas of the sport that people would not normally talk about.

Ray Ferraro also has his own podcast, it’s an hour of basically his overdrive segment. Obviously the overdrive guys aren’t on it too so it’s not as good but it can be quite good. It’s called ‘pulp hockey podcast’ he does it over the phone with a guy who lives in Vegas but is a leaf fan. But it’s not only leafs realated they cover everything. It’s not overdrive but it’s another hour of hockey talk.

And of course bob McKenzie has on too

Reactions: Pucker77

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Ray Ferraro also has his own podcast, it’s an hour of basically his overdrive segment. Obviously the overdrive guys aren’t on it too so it’s not as good but it can be quite good. It’s called ‘pulp hockey podcast’ he does it over the phone with a guy who lives in Vegas but is a leaf fan. But it’s not only leafs realated they cover everything. It’s not overdrive but it’s another hour of hockey talk.

And of course bob McKenzie has on too
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve heard of the Pulp Hockey Talk, but have never listened. I’ll give it a shot.

As for Bob McKenzie, I have listened to the Bobcast, but I am not a big fan of it.

I think I need more interaction that Bob talking for an hour. I need people with differing views to debate topics and see if I agree or not by the end.

That’s why I like all the other podcasts like SDP, 31 Thoughts, and especially Overdrive.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Anyone catch ODog on the fantasy draft show last night? Picked all Jets and Bruins, the traitor. Even went with Chara as his last pick, Hedman was still on the board. I really hope Hayes gives him the gears today about it.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
This show has gone way down hill

nothing on Sports radio today is good. But Overdrive is well worth the listen. It ok to laugh sometimes and they provide lots laughs. they talk sports with the most credible people. its the only show you need to listen too in Toronto.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That whole segment and the bit at the end about Odog wearing the big cone around his neck was the hardest I've laughed in a long long time.

yeah, it was so good. And that's what makes overdrive a great show. Hayes interviewing someone outside of hockey is fine but it gets very boring when noodles or odog ask the same stupid questions everytime. hockey talk and humour is great for all 3 of them. Other sports leave it to hayes please

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I'm having an issue with tsn1050 online streaming. The official site as well as two other streaming sites get this same problem... It plays normally for 60 seconds then the stream shuts off. Its not my internet connection. Could it be the bad smart tv browser I'm using? I can't get it to stream properly anyone else have this issue??

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Who did noodle pick to win?

He was reluctant to say, but predicted game seven and overtime with either Donato or Brown scoring. When the boys kept pressing he sort of said Boston would win but threw in a 'but the Leafs can still get it done' probably to keep the fanbase off his back. Hayes is the only one flat out picking the Leafs.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
He was reluctant to say, but predicted game seven and overtime with either Donato or Brown scoring. When the boys kept pressing he sort of said Boston would win but threw in a 'but the Leafs can still get it done' probably to keep the fanbase off his back. Hayes is the only one flat out picking the Leafs.
ODog is all on Bruins.

Don’t understand why he got shit for that. He wants Leafs but he thinks Bruins will win.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Theyre ripping into Babcock right now and rightfully so...

Babcock got taken to school last night.

100% justified.

I wanted to puke, listening to his explanation of the 4th line vs 1st line matchup last night.

Love the guy, but he got absolutely worked.

We talk about game 1 being a wake up call for the fans and the players. It's a huge wake up call for the coach as well.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
100% justified.

I wanted to puke, listening to his explanation of the 4th line vs 1st line matchup last night.

Love the guy, but he got absolutely worked.

We talk about game 1 being a wake up call for the fans and the players. It's a huge wake up call for the coach as well.

To think that someone who is a 'dyed in the wool' winner is oblivious to all of the problems last night, is naive in its own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad