TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I think we can agree to disagree on the dress code/ character building issue. That’s fine.
I called it an ‘elite program’ because that’s the term people are using in this thread. But maybe we’re mistaken. My kid plays for the AAA program in our hockey region. We’re not part of any private travelling team or anything of that sort, although we were approached by some. I opted against it because I didn’t see the benefit or value compared to playing AAA in the sanctioned league. The way we ended up here is, my kid played house league, then was approached to tryout for A, AA, then was taken by the local AAA team due to his skill level. I’m not sure why that process offends you so much. I am not a lawyer, investor or doctor. My son is good at hockey. It’s ridiculous how grown men/women become so irritated by kids playing at high levels. It’s comical how you’ve never met me, yet you clearly know that I’m an elitist who’s kid is not really good enough to play elite hockey, but does so because of money. Some kids play on teams that are built like country clubs, agreed. My son’s team crushes those teams in exhibition tournaments because we are actual elite players chosen from the best of the region.
I’ve been around the rinks my whole life just like you, and what I’ve found is, the worst thing about hockey is not the kids or the executive drama.

It’s the toxic attitude among parents that if a child is exceptional at the sport, it must mean he’s bad, or his parents are cheaters or the world is not fair.
Thought I'd share for those who have not seen this before:

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Thought I'd share for those who have not seen this before:

Good video. Thanks for sharing.
Definitely not the norm, but families with these routines do exist and it takes a certain type of kid to be successful under that type of regimen. Ethan is a special kid who seems to thrive under all the training he receives, and truly loves the game. He constantly improves and and has a passion for it. I think it’s great that his parents prioritize that. They have the means, and he has the dedication.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Good video. Thanks for sharing.
Definitely not the norm, but families with these routines do exist and it takes a certain type of kid to be successful under that type of regimen. Ethan is a special kid who seems to thrive under all the training he receives, and truly loves the game. He constantly improves and and has a passion for it. I think it’s great that his parents prioritize that. They have the means, and he has the dedication.

You seem allergic to getting the point here.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Dreger is like one half of a divorce couple that hates his ex but still has to work with them. He's so bitter against the Leafs.

Dude is annoying but what's wrong with speaking his mind? He's not pro any team and he provides insight that goes against leaf nation. Don't worry Andi Petrillo / Brian Hayes are the palm palm waivers that will say all things wonderful about the leafs.

Bobby M, Kelly Rhudy, Pierre LeBrun, and Ray F are by far the most knowledgable and unbiased NHL analysts/broadcasters in the business.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Landsberg is incredibly dense which allows him to fit in nicely with the rest of them on 1050.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Enlighten me. What’s the point then?
What you see in the video represents a small % of the kids and families (on the $$$ spend side only) but there are families who do much more ie Hyman. There were other NHLers before Stuey doing this but point is there is a growing trend of GTHL owners/GMs who think an NHL player can be manufactured. I am on the fence on whether it is worth the investment. I still think it is the exception to the rule. Most of the truly elite kids were elite from second they stepped on the ice on day 1 when they were 4. Yes they got skill assistance coaching, extra shooting instruction and nutrition advice but that is basically almost everyone who plays AAA hockey in GTHL today. The only issue is how much more are they investing? I did not want to rent the ice for an hour a day after school at North Toronto and bring in the Bellarussian to do separate skating instruction. But I have no issues if someone wants to invest the 30K per year to do it either over on top of team costs.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
What you see in the video represents a small % of the kids and families (on the $$$ spend side only) but there are families who do much more ie Hyman. There were other NHLers before Stuey doing this but point is there is a growing trend of GTHL owners/GMs who think an NHL player can be manufactured. I am on the fence on whether it is worth the investment. I still think it is the exception to the rule. Most of the truly elite kids were elite from second they stepped on the ice on day 1 when they were 4. Yes they got skill assistance coaching, extra shooting instruction and nutrition advice but that is basically almost everyone who plays AAA hockey in GTHL today. The only issue is how much more are they investing? I did not want to rent the ice for an hour a day after school at North Toronto and bring in the Bellarussian to do separate skating instruction. But I have no issues if someone wants to invest the 30K per year to do it either over on top of team costs.
Couldn’t agree with you more.
I still want to hear joeyhoser’s argument out of curiosity.

Just because I personally don’t have the disposable income to do what this family does for their son, doesn’t mean nobody should be allowed to.

Personally I hate when parents use the term “investment” . It sounds like they’ll be angry if the kid doesn’t return their money one day. Helping your kid develop as an athlete and person, and meet their goals is investment enough for me.

My neighbor says she thinks it’s a shame that my kid plays hockey in the summer. Yet hers plays Xbox in the basement all summer, and has no social skills.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Dude is annoying but what's wrong with speaking his mind? He's not pro any team and he provides insight that goes against leaf nation. Don't worry Andi Petrillo / Brian Hayes are the palm palm waivers that will say all things wonderful about the leafs.

Bobby M, Kelly Rhudy, Pierre LeBrun, and Ray F are by far the most knowledgable and unbiased NHL analysts/broadcasters in the business.

He's a click bait troll pushing worst case Leafs scenarios to panic the fan base and rarely talks about other teams. A clear evidence is the lack $14 million offer sheets of Marner. How anyone can have any professional respect for Dreger is beyond me.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Couldn’t agree with you more.
I still want to hear joeyhoser’s argument out of curiosity.

Just because I personally don’t have the disposable income to do what this family does for their son, doesn’t mean nobody should be allowed to.

Personally I hate when parents use the term “investment” . It sounds like they’ll be angry if the kid doesn’t return their money one day. Helping your kid develop as an athlete and person, and meet their goals is investment enough for me.

My neighbor says she thinks it’s a shame that my kid plays hockey in the summer. Yet hers plays Xbox in the basement all summer, and has no social skills.
Everyone can think their own way on this issue. I remember my dad telling me it was a total waste of time playing spring hockey. Let the kids swim and play lacrosse. They will be better players if you give them space. and there are quite a few HOFers who think the same way so who I am to judge. Did I push them into spring hockey? Probably yes. But they always loved to play and had big smiles all the time. If they ever said dad thats it no more spring hockey then I would have pulled the plug. But the Marners, Braccos, Stromes, McCleods, Hanifins, Matthews, McJesus, Whites, Tkachuks they all did it. It is a thing that parents think there kid will fall off the tracks if they don't. Again to each his own.

Reactions: qqaz

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
On a set created by a team of interior designers during an afternoon jaunt to Michaels:

a Youtube recommended interview of Dubas by two mediocre goofs who may or may not have soul patches talking about pro wrestling, Dubas' personal life and nothing substantial about the hockey team. All zazzle and pure fluff. A perfect example of the nothingness of corporate sports programming.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
....which contributes to the cost.

I have a bunch of relatives with sons playing hockey. Ive discussed with them first hand.

Its archaic, doesnt build a lick of meaningful character, and adds unnecessary expense to a sport which is struggling with costs already. Its demonstrably a problem in the sport.
A kids shirt and tie can be found at Value Village for $5 if the expense is too great.
Do kids no longer have this in a closet anyway?
When we played no one had to go buy this stuff. You always had something for a wedding, funeral, etc.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A kids shirt and tie can be found at Value Village for $5 if the expense is too great.
Do kids no longer have this in a closet anyway?
When we played no one had to go buy this stuff. You always had something for a wedding, funeral, etc.

I never had a new suit or new winter coat until I could pay for it myself. I don't get what the big deal is about this. I also took public transportation until my early 20's, didn't own property until my late 30's. It was still a very comfortable upbringing. I think a threshold has been crossed by some who actually can't afford it that think they're above used clothing, delayed gratification, settling and other mild inconveniences of a budgeted life.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Late to the debate, but professional or not, I've always thought that wearing suits to a hockey rink was kind of ridiculous. Even moreso when it comes to young kids.
I agree with you but that argument was lost years ago. It is ancient news. Now you see 7 year olds coming into Etobicoke Ice Sports dressed to the nines. and if a kid comes in dressed wrong OR late he sits the 1st period. but people on the inside don't/refuse to see it. It is making cost of hockey ridiculous. I can afford it but still it is a waste of precious $$$. now you have 300 sticks and 1,000 skates is the norm. whats a few hundo on a tailored suit?

Reactions: Anthrax442

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
enough of this "TSN and other sports meadia" stuff.

This thread is about suits and ties, and suits and ties only!

It was great to have the guys back yesterday, I laughed a lot.

I had my sons team parent meeting last night and when the coach got to dress code all I could think about was this thread. :laugh:

I also did an internal high five when he said "no shirt and tie" required "just dress in a way that represents you and the club appropriately". :handclap:

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
:laugh: It was great to have the guys back yesterday, I laughed a lot.

I had my sons team parent meeting last night and when the coach got to dress code all I could think about was this thread.

I also did an internal high five when he said "no shirt and tie" required "just dress in a way that represents you and the club appropriately". :handclap:
Must be a US team but not most. Philly Jr Flyers, Boston Jr Bruins, St Lous Jr, Blues all have dress code locked in for many years now. All GTHL AAA teams have it locked and loaded or at least they did 5 years ago.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Must be a US team but not most. Philly Jr Flyers, Boston Jr Bruins, St Lous Jr, Blues all have dress code locked in for many years now. All GTHL AAA teams have it locked and loaded or at least they did 5 years ago.

Baltimore Maryland so def not super elite level hockey. He is a first year Bantam though so I was worried.

Also helps that the coach is young, about five years removed from playing D1 for Vermont.

Last edited:

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
It was great to have the guys back yesterday, I laughed a lot.

I had my sons team parent meeting last night and when the coach got to dress code all I could think about was this thread. :laugh:

A lot of AAA teams going to the team issued apparel only instead of shirt and tie. It’s actually way more expensive that way. At least you can buy cheap or get a hand me down shirt/tie. Team issued clothes (track suit/winter jacket/touque/dry fit) are very pricey.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Hot take # 1: Overdrive sees the opportunity to become a player in the US podcast market

#2.... why is no-one debating the the (Evander) Kane mutiny on our left coast?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
A lot of AAA teams going to the team issued apparel only instead of shirt and tie. It’s actually way more expensive that way. At least you can buy cheap or get a hand me down shirt/tie. Team issued clothes (track suit/winter jacket/touque/dry fit) are very pricey.
I have not seen Jimmy in a few years but I'd be willing to wager a few bucks that Marlies still wear shirts and ties if he is still in charge ...

Reactions: Go4soda

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Anyone tell me why Andi is still hosting?

nervous of what though? the comment makes no sense,

nervous marner will take his spot? no marner is a winger.
Nervous he might score 50 goals with the help of another elite player? no why would that make him nervous.
Nervous Marner might earn more than him? even if we crazily overpay marner it wont be much more than JT, who im sure is very happy with his $11M per year

its like she just blurted out whatever came to her head and as a sentence it works in terms of grammar and construction but with context added it makes zero sense

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
nervous of what though? the comment makes no sense,

nervous marner will take his spot? no marner is a winger.
Nervous he might score 50 goals with the help of another elite player? no why would that make him nervous.
Nervous Marner might earn more than him? even if we crazily overpay marner it wont be much more than JT, who im sure is very happy with his $11M per year

its like she just blurted out whatever came to her head and as a sentence it works in terms of grammar and construction but with context added it makes zero sense
I think she was saying Tavares will not be all that good without Marner. Do we really need to tell what Tavares did to the wingers he had in NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad