TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Too early for pasta.
But not for conspiracy theories!
"The Tin Foil Hat show!" - Bumper "You're not putting on that tin foil hat again, are you? Strictly speaking, it's aluminum foil, THEY just want you to call it tin foil! "

Ever notice how Rogers Home Town Hockey promotes the AAUSIHT by going into small towns throughout the country and promoting AAUSJHT mythology, coast to cost to coast, provided that town is on the Go Transit map? Streetsvill, eh? Pickering? Malton? Scarborough next? How about Rexdale?

Last edited:

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
"The Tin Foil Hat show!" - Bumper "You're not putting on that tin foil hat again, are you? Strictly speaking, it's aluminum foil, THEY just want you to call it tin foil! "

Ever notice how Rogers Home Town Hockey promotes the AAUSIHT by going into small towns throughout the country and promoting AAUSJHT mythology, coast to cost to coast, provided that town is on the Go Transit map?

It's no conspiracy to say you are a Raptors fan.. it's no conspiracy to say that what you replyed to me was a copy and paste job. IF it truly wasn't then I give you credit for typing out all those words I will never read.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
It's no conspiracy to say you are a Raptors fan.. it's no conspiracy to say that what you replyed to me was a copy and paste job. IF it truly wasn't then I give you credit for typing out all those words I will never read.
It's true: I am cursed with many and diverse interests.
Conspiracy theories are in fact not one of them.
But exposing myths of a fair deal in professional sports sure is.
And I suspect it is against the business model to just go and admit, "The fix is in! We are not going to win. The AAUSIHT like the NBA wants top 10 US TV markets in the finals." That kind of blunt honesty would be something I would love to have on sports radio, and to then have a discussion about what can be done about that fact- say like, building a Soviet Red Army team through analytics, as the Leafs will face a penalty box parade if they do any of this "toughness" thing.

Why not talk about the business of sports, that is to say, plain and easy to see conspiracy theories ?

People in the GTA never grow weary of Leafs Tweet or Leafs Heat, too bad nothing interesting is ever said.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I ran across an interesting podcast yesterday.... Puck Culture from Jackie Redmond with Stu Grimson. They talk about the recent Doughty's recent comment in TO and they discuss the nature of the media and fans in TO. Worth a listen and they nail it imo! Since both have a fair amount of Toronto media experience, I think they have more credibility than most. Turns out the Grim Reaper spent a couple years in TO as a NHLPA lawyer lol.

‎Puck Culture on Apple Podcasts

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Overdrive is 50/50 and Shilton is a reporter (like Masters). Not a bad one and I like her a lot more than Masters but she doesn't really provide any in-depth analysis.
I hope she (or really, just about anyone) replaces Petrillo on LL; everything about Petrillo grates my nerves, from the Italian schtick to the schlocky DJ affect she puts on her voice to the horrendous homerism and brutal takes.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
I hope she (or really, just about anyone) replaces Petrillo on LL; everything about Petrillo grates my nerves, from the Italian schtick to the schlocky DJ affect she puts on her voice to the horrendous homerism and brutal takes.
It's a TV show on the radio and not a radio show on TV, and she is eye candy.
She's not their for insights but for guy's sights.
Rogers and Bell need to hammer down costs and simulcasting helps achieve that.
Leafs Lunch nation wide on TSN, right? On at least one of the TSN channels, right? Must love it outside of Ontario.
Toronto Sports Network.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada

I voted with my downloads and stopped listening to leafs lunch almost a year ago. I'd probably listen if they gave her decent co-hosts, buts its always insufferable(Feschuk, Poulin Button, etc) people.

Overdrive is my fav, but I also skip the parts where they talk about themselves... I get it that it's hard to talk about sports for 3 straight hours and they need filler... but I just don't care about Jeff's drive into work or Hayes' love of some stupid food or whatever.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I voted with my downloads and stopped listening to leafs lunch almost a year ago. I'd probably listen if they gave her decent co-hosts, buts its always insufferable(Feschuk, Poulin, etc) people.

Overdrive is my fav, but I also skip the parts where they talk about themselves... I get it that it's hard to talk about sports for 3 straight hours and they need filler... but I just don't care about Jeff's drive into work or Hayes' love of some stupid food or whatever.

I've literally never heard of anyone liking Leafs Lunch in the past year or two. I can't imagine why they stick with it and don't make changes.

I have to dream up stuff like, maybe they're attempting to expand their demographics and believe Andi can get more women listening. But even then, she has Button and Miller telling her what an idiot she is half the time, which buries any chance of that working.

Reactions: Mckay

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
I've literally never heard of anyone liking Leafs Lunch in the past year or two. I can't imagine why they stick with it and don't make changes.

I have to dream up stuff like, maybe they're attempting to expand their demographics and believe Andi can get more women listening. But even then, she has Button and Miller telling her what an idiot she is half the time, which buries any chance of that working.
Just simply not enough Raptors talk.

Women in sports "journalists" on TV tend to be hotties. Sort of like waitresses in chain roadhouse "restaurants."

There is a woman on the Fan 590 morning show- not a TV show- and I think she knows her stuff.

Longtime reporter Ashley Docking has joined the host roster at Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s morning radio show. She will host alongside Greg Brady and Hugh Burrill.
Dave Cadeau, national format director for sports at Rogers Radio, tells MiC that although Sportsnet doesn’t have a specific target it’s seeking out with the addition of Docking, the aim is to be “an inclusive radio station.”
Beyond getting more women in the hosting chair, he says that also means changing up the approach to the way hosts banter. “I would say 20 years ago, sports radio was all about winning arguments and having the most powerful opinion. And it was definitely seen as exclusive only to those who were hardcore sports fans. We want the audience to feel like they can participate whether they consider themselves a hardcore fan or not, whatever their interest level is.”
It’s that line of thinking that also led to the casting of Docking. “There are personalities out there that divide an audience. [Docking] wins the audience over, even when she asks tough questions.”
Sportsnet is also changing up certain aspects of its formatting; whereas it used to broadcast longer clips of life sports within the snow – stretching beyond three minutes – Cadeau says it’s now working with smaller clips of “up to a minute.” He says the idea of shorter bits and segments will help evolve the show as it experiments with various gradual changes.

Sportsnet Radio adds a new morning host

Point is this: Woman sports broadcasters need not be only eye candy

By the way-- Patrillo has qualifications beyond blondness, "Petrillo's grandparents immigrated to Canada from Italy.[4] She graduated York University with degrees in English and Mass Communications, as well as earned a diploma in Broadcast Journalism from Seneca College.[5]" Andi Petrillo - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I agree.

But I don't think there's more than 10 people on tv for hockey that watch as much hockey or know as much as me.
Your average "expert" probably follows one team, just watches their games, and makes comments. No different than anyone here.

There's only a few Button, McKenzie, Poulin types who clearly are speaking at a mensa level of hockey knowledge and expertise.
You were doing so well then used the word Mensa to describe these two schlubs.
26EFDAE3-0A6F-48DB-BD38-B712C71EE5B2.jpeg

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
It's all Leafs all the time.
It's what the market wants.
Leafs Beat, Leafs Street, Leafs Meet, Leafs Treat, Leafs Defeat, Leafs Retreat, Leafs Seat, Leafs Teat!
"Let's open up the phone lines and talk about all of these Europeans with all of thier silly skating, passing and play-making. What's wrong with the roster? Should we fire the coach? Should we fire Dubas? Let's just see how stupid the listenership is. I'm Moron Man, and I want to know."
I feel like you’re in the wrong place, here try this out
Toronto Raptors - RealGM

Thervguy

Oct 22, 2016

Ever notice how Rogers Home Town Hockey promotes the AAUSIHT by going into small towns throughout the country and promoting AAUSJHT mythology, coast to cost to coast, provided that town is on the Go Transit map? Streetsvill, eh? Pickering? Malton? Scarborough next? How about Rexdale?[/
What the f**k does AAUSJHT mean?

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
AAUSITH- the American Association of United States Ice Hockey Teams. The Leafs play in the Canadian Branch Plant Division. The AAUSIHT needs Canadian teams to pay the bills in the regular season, but then needs to kill them off in the playoffs as the AAUSIHT is trying to get a fat US TV deal.
See the officiating in last year's Boston series.

The facts of the AAUSIHT being American and with demonstrably unjust officiating is verboten in Canadian sports journalism as Rogers has paid billions for the rights and Bell has paid considerably for the local rights. Two sports based TV networks and 2 sports based radio networks are dependent on the AAUSIHT, and sports journalism is a business, and that business is dependent on the myth of a fair game and a level playing field. So questioning the NBA engineering Boston - Lakers finals or the AAUSIHT keeping Canadian teams from winning the AAUSIHT championship, the Stanley Cup, is forbidden.

Note that the 'Mercian AAUSHIT also key in Canada in culture and Canadian identity, and so Canadians get terribly offended when facts get exposed. Note both Rogers and Bell have a strong interest in keeping the myth that the Canadian Branch Plant Division has a chance to win the Stanley Cup, but truly, their ceiling is maybe making it to the finals.

Note this: Leafs toughness = Leafs penalties. Leafs penalties mean they lose in the playoffs. That is how it works- unfairly.

So the Leafs must go all analytics and all skill as that is the only chance to win 5 on 9.

Surely, you all must agree, right?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Point is this: Woman sports broadcasters need not be only eye candy

By the way-- Patrillo has qualifications beyond blondness, "Petrillo's grandparents immigrated to Canada from Italy.[4] She graduated York University with degrees in English and Mass Communications, as well as earned a diploma in Broadcast Journalism from Seneca College.[5]" Andi Petrillo - Wikipedia

Oh yeah. I'm not saying she isn't qualified or capable of being a broadcaster. She's quite good at Duthie's role, hosting a game broadcast, the odd time she's done it.

But for Leafs Lunch, it's just not working. Jim Tatti did it during the summer and did a fantastic job. Should be him IMO.

To be fair, everyone will just be compared to Hayes, and nobody is going to be as good at that role as he was.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
I really hate that intro mythology thing they do at the start of Hockey Night in Canada "On this frozen tundra we skate, Play hard and fair the Canadian way, this is our game there is no debate, that's what we hockey fans have to say" etc, that thing is always awful and pointless. Why do they do it?

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
petrillo is fun to root against when leafs are having a bad time... I suppose that doesnt help any of you leaf fans to like her, but for the rest of Canada it can be a small treat to tune in after a loss. shes very unprofessional and you can see shes wearing the loss

her main parter this feschuk guy... the ONLY thing I can learn from him is that he bobs his head every single word he says. I doubt hes ever said anything worth hearing but I cant really tell. I dont hear him when all I can see is that bobbing head

personally I miss gord miller a ton... is he gone for good? the show works best when theres a traditional hockey man there to tell her when shes talking total nonsense

theres more non-leaf fans in Canada then there is leaf fans... so if tsn wants to maximize their ratings on a national level going with petrillo/miller/button and loading it up with hits by the big writers would be the way to go imo

as for the competion sports net is putting on... I want to just rip my ears off listening to these guys. my three drunkest friends have more chemistry together and probably a higher level of relevant hockey info.

marek can be good… ive seen him good... but he really needs a much more respected and vetern hockey man that he can suck upto. no doubt hes loaded with stories. but he needs an editor/filter

stewart is not suited for this job at all... might be ok as a 15 min segment guest

and the new guy bourne is dead on arrival

I have been skipping this show now more than im listening... maybe listening 3-4 hours a week... and not enjoying it. honestly, I would rather listen to a show out of Vancouver or Calgary now.

even overdrive is suffering imo… they are who they are... but I cant handle their style more than around 5 hours a week. they probably need more guests to break up their routine a bit more... more days where they arent all together so that its 'special' when they are together

its a shame... because last year I thought the shows in Toronto were hot and I rearranged my schedule each day to find time to listen. not sure why they hurt them all so bad this year with weird choices

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
petrillo is fun to root against when leafs are having a bad time... I suppose that doesnt help any of you leaf fans to like her, but for the rest of Canada it can be a small treat to tune in after a loss. shes very unprofessional and you can see shes wearing the loss

So this Leafs thing really is nation wide? Yikes!
Is there a TSN sports radio station in Edmonton? Do they - please tell me they do not- simulcast Leafs Lunch on the radio in Edmonton?

Just awful - what the Leafs need is toughness. Not enough penalty minutes- and needing to listen to that in Edmonton?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So this Leafs thing really is nation wide? Yikes!
Is there a TSN sports radio station in Edmonton? Do they - please tell me they do not- simulcast Leafs Lunch on the radio in Edmonton?

Just awful - what the Leafs need is toughness. Not enough penalty minutes- and needing to listen to that in Edmonton?

im more talking about the tv portion... both hours of sportsnets lunch show, plus tsn first hour of leafs lunch and then the entire overdrive show get simucast on the tv for us westerners that pay for the package. im going to guess that goes into the planning for the show and puts an onus on trying to produce a 'national' broadcast

i could appreciate though how it bothers local Toronto market leaf fans who feel that guys like button or mcleanon might be 'anti leaf?'

i dont see it... i think they are all pro-leaf but im not a leaf fan so i know theres more than one way to look at these shows

personally... im drawn to the shows for the guests. the best connected insiders should be the main attractions on these shows because thats where Toronto has an advantage over Edmonton or Winnipeg type shows.

sadly when i watch marek/stewart or petrillo and feschuk im left feeling these people are less qualified than whoever is being employed in Ottawa or montreal or Edmonton.

the quality of the guests is still far better on the Toronto shows... so im sort of stuck having to suffer through...

that said... petrillo was no better personally last year but was just so much easier to listen to when she had the right co-hosts. i really enjoyed her show last year

and marek was much easier to take when he had kyprios talking over him... or maclean setting him straight... or even stellick and Shannon. i remember marek from years ago with bill waters and i really liked him then too. as the 'stooge' i think marek is great.

i guess what im thinking is all the shows could be improved with less of the cohost. axe stewart and bring back stellick/Shannon/get more burke... mend fences with doug mclean...

axe feschuk and bring back miller/more button/more Poulin/more lebrun

and as for overdrive... i guess its a ratings success so i suppose i will just have to admit its not a show for me personally everyday

as for that sid and morty show or whatever the guys names are... i accidently listened to an hour or two of it in bits and pieces over the year... ouch... maybe its ok for non-hockey Toronto fans? its nothing thats going to get me to tune in from alberta though

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You’ll get Miller in the summer, but he has too many TV games to do during year to do radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad