TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It's got nothing to do with being a Professional, they've been wearing suits to games since they were little kids.
Putting a suit on to go to the rink is part of the pre-game routine same as taping sticks, etc.

They've been doing it forever isn't an actual reason to do something though. Taping sticks actually effects the game though you can't play without a taped stick.

Lots of workplaces that required wearing suits and ties don't any more.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Suits could just be for TV purposes at this point. You know how they have that shot of everyone arriving one or two at a time in their suit? Imagine you had the 18-25 year olds "peacocking" and wearing increasingly ridiculous outfits just to show off for TV.

I mean I am fine with them showing up in gym shorts and a tank top or a full on pimp outfit if they want. Just would hope the media would stop showing the "arriving at the rink" shots if this was allowed.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Is that true?

I would be very surprised.

If true, I wud agree 100% to abolish that rule!

I knew it was written in the CBA, but I didn't know that it says that the GM or Head Coach can say otherwise.

5. Players are required to wear jackets, ties and dress pants to all Club games and
while traveling to and from such games unless otherwise specified by the Head
Coach or General Manager.

6. Players not dressing for Club games must be in attendance at such games and
dressed in accordance with Paragraph 5 herein unless otherwise directed by the
Head Coach or General Manager.

Hearing the ridiculous rant that Cherry would go on if Dubas said they didn't have to wear suits and ties would be hilarious.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It's got nothing to do with being a Professional, they've been wearing suits to games since they were little kids.
Putting a suit on to go to the rink is part of the pre-game routine same as taping sticks, etc.

Which is ridiculous.

I dont actually have a problem with telling athletes (employees) they need to wear a suit, but children should not be forced to wear a suit to games. Its yet another reason that hockey costs so much money and is killing this sport.

Reactions: Guy Boucher

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
ACC was made for the Raptors. If anything, it would be the Leafs getting forced out.

Build an outdoor retractable roof baseball park out by the lake overlooking the water and then build the Leafs a new state of the art arena where the dome is now. Have nice walking paths etc between the two facilities.

Move basketball to Hamilton while the construction is going on then move them back to the scotia bank .

We just need Bezos to buy the teams

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Build an outdoor retractable roof baseball park out by the lake overlooking the water and then build the Leafs a new state of the art arena where the dome is now. Have nice walking paths etc between the two facilities.

Move basketball to Hamilton while the construction is going on then move them back to the scotia bank .

NO new stadiums built with tax dollars!!!

If the Jays need a new dome, let Rogers open its wallet.

If the Leafs want a new home, MLSE has lots of money.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Which is ridiculous.

I dont actually have a problem with telling athletes (employees) they need to wear a suit, but children should not be forced to wear a suit to games. Its yet another reason that hockey costs so much money and is killing this sport.

I don't have a problem with pro sportsman having to wear suits but kids having to do it is pretty ridiculous, A shirt and tie doesn't seem like a ton to ask but a full suit is just silly

I can still remember trying to put on a tie at 5 years old when I was starting in rugby, honestly I think it was harder than playing :laugh:

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
It does not make any sense with synergies with same arena and same ownership. How da hell are they gonna say arena sponsorships are not Raptors or Leafs based but arena based? You are talking about a sizable amount of $$$ here. and based on current hockey CBA HRR the Raps are required. It is Leafs best way to screw over the players. This issue may get resolved in next CBA if either side decides to open it up again.
The Raps are worth the most now. Even more than the beloved Leafs.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

They're not moving the Raptors to Hamilton.

That is some twisted fantasy.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Wearing a suit to games is part of the culture of hockey. Off ice dress code is instilled at a very young age in hockey as part of the teaching of team pride and professionalism. Hockey players are moulded differently than athletes in other sports and it carries through to when they become pros. You can see it in the way hockey players present themselves in the media compared to other athletes.
I personally respect the dress code and believe that grown men playing for millions on television should look professional, even if it’s just for the walk into the rink. I also don’t think most players have an issue with it.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Wearing a suit to games is part of the culture of hockey. Off ice dress code is instilled at a very young age in hockey as part of the teaching of team pride and professionalism. Hockey players are moulded differently than athletes in other sports and it carries through to when they become pros. You can see it in the way hockey players present themselves in the media compared to other athletes.
I personally respect the dress code and believe that grown men playing for millions on television should look professional, even if it’s just for the walk into the rink. I also don’t think most players have an issue with it.

The professional world is becoming more and more casual.

It's happening in hockey too. Just let people do what they want.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
The professional world is becoming more and more casual.

It's happening in hockey too. Just let people do what they want.
I hear you, but like I said, I think the majority of hockey players like the dress code. They take pride in looking professional and I think the majority don’t share Evander kane’s POV. If the league wants to reform and allow the odd guy like Evander wear what ever he wants, fine, I guess.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I hear you, but like I said, I think the majority of hockey players like the dress code. They take pride in looking professional and I think the majority don’t share Evander kane’s POV. If the league wants to reform and allow the odd guy like Evander wear what ever he wants, fine, I guess.
Evander Kane is a pain in the ass. Having said that, I HATED having a dress code and wearing a suit for work.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

I agree with professional people dressing in a professional manner, I don’t mind seeing young pro hockey players present themselves in a nice manner. The idea that children have to travel to games and tournaments in a dressed up state to satisfy a made up code is dumb. I have seen first hand the unnecessary stress that it causes some families to meet the all ready high cost of minor hockey.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I agree with professional people dressing in a professional manner, I don’t mind seeing young pro hockey players present themselves in a nice manner. The idea that children have to travel to games and tournaments in a dressed up state to satisfy a made up code is dumb. I have seen first hand the unnecessary stress that it causes some families to meet the all ready high cost of minor hockey.

Ding ding ding

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Ding ding ding

It’s become a elitist culture the opposite of what Cherry thinks he is preaching. I’m 60 a lot of (most) the best players in the 60 s and 70s were the sons of factory workers etc. Playing in house leagues at 6 am on Saturday. I watch a lot of hockey I see these kids with ties come into rinks it means nothing.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
My son is an 8 year old AAA player and adheres to a dress code. It’s builds character in these kids and teaches them that success is a way of life, not something that just happens between whistles. I don’t expect everyone to understand this culture. But it’s certainly not “dumb”.

You have the means for your son to play AAA, that’s great. Maybe he’s a better player than a kid who has a single mom who can’t afford a nice shirt or a 200$ stick. I’ve been in rinks all my life I want to see the most talented kids play at the highest level regardless of how many skill coaches they have,

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You have the means for your son to play AAA, that’s great. Maybe he’s a better player than a kid who has a single mom who can’t afford a nice shirt or a 200$ stick. I’ve been in rinks all my life I want to see the most talented kids play at the highest level regardless of how many skill coaches they have,

House league players don’t wear a tie or suits to games.

Reactions: Go4soda

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
My son is an 8 year old AAA player and adheres to a dress code. It’s builds character in these kids and teaches them that success is a way of life, not something that just happens between whistles. I don’t expect everyone to understand this culture. But it’s certainly not “dumb”.

Its absolutely "dumb" if its forcing good players away from hockey because of cost, or any other reason.

There many other ways to build character other then wearing suits to games.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Where I am there’s no house league, which was kind of my point, small town grass root hockey is dead, only people with wealth can be on the elite teams, every small town had minor hockey nobody does now maybe timbits

Really? There’s no minor hockey in the rural small towns except for the elite and wealthy people?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Its absolutely "dumb" if its forcing good players away from hockey because of cost, or any other reason.

There many other ways to build character other then wearing suits to games.

From what I gather, it’s not a shirt and tie that’s preventing some from playing, it’s the high cost of being on an elite team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad