Uxbridge
Boy still digesting so here are few things I picked up:

* There is racism in hockey that isn't being addressed
*It's not just the fans , it comes from the media as well
* NHL should have recognized black history month sooner
*he's worth 15mAAV
* wearing suits to games is a joke
* he don't like the peg

These are just my takes after listening, lol, I think this interview will be discussed for a long time.

I want to state that I'm criticizing or judging, but it was definitely an interview with lots of takes we don't hear from hockey players and some of it takes some time to digest.

IMO, his opinions covered both racism and being held back from expressing himself (v diff than racism) so I'm not sure I followed his rationale very well.

There's racism in hockey there's a shocker! Anybody who thought otherwise has their head in the sand. The hockey community and Canada in general is a lot more racist than we'd like to admit.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Kane is worth 15m? Wut?

The racism thing yeah it's there for sure, and nobody likes winnipeg lol.

Reactions: 54thecup

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

*he's worth 15mAAV
* he don't like the peg

These are just my takes after listening, lol, I think this interview will be discussed for a long time.

I want to state that I'm criticizing or judging, but it was definitely an interview with lots of takes we don't hear from hockey players and some of it takes some time to digest.

IMO, his opinions covered both racism and being held back from expressing himself (v diff than racism) so I'm not sure I followed his rationale very well.

Nothing really bomb worthy there... Evander Kane has talked about racism very recently because someone commented 'stick to basketball' on one of his IG posts. As well as the amount of shit he got for posting his 'money phone' picture a few years ago.

As far as media, there was this about PK Subban:

I'll be honest I didn't pay attention to when the NHL celebrated Black History month, but I'll concede he likely has a point there.

I won't comment on him being worth 15M AAV, no one is making that yet so that seems pretty far fetched. (also blame the salary cap)

Wearing suits to a game is a relic, that keeps getting propped up by Don Cherry. I could take it or leave it.

...who does like the 'peg?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Wearing suits to a game is a joke.

I haven't worn a suit in over a decade, but I find this attitude just ridiculous. What if you work downtown wearing a suit and go to a game after work? You think they should to change their clothes so... what exactly? That you don't get jealous of them having money or something? I don't even get it.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I haven't worn a suit in over a decade, but I find this attitude just ridiculous. What if you work downtown wearing a suit and go to a game after work? You think they should to change their clothes so... what exactly? That you don't get jealous of them having money or something? I don't even get it.

Let me rephrase. Wearing a tie is dumb.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Think they are referring to players wearing suits to a game and they clearly don't understand why they do it.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Think they are referring to players wearing suits to a game and they clearly don't understand why they do it.

I ve hated suited forever, it took 20 yrs to get it out of everyday wear at work!

Dubas is very progressive, no reason he couldn't take the lead in this area.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I ve hated suited forever, it took 20 yrs to get it out of everyday wear at work!

Possibly but I'm sure Dubas also understands why they are worn.
I'm sure Kanes not alone in his thoughts on wearing a suit but it would be a very small group,

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

*he's worth 15mAAV
* he don't like the peg

Oh god.

This reminds me of Tyron Woodley when he was the UFC's welterweight champion, he pulled the race card on several occasions and lost a ton of his fanbase doing so. When you looked at the overall picture - there was no tangible evidence of him being mistreated whatsoever relative to other UFC champions.

I don't follow Kane's rationale either. I mean he could know something we don't, but I really doubt it.

You never gain fans by playing the victim card.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I'm sure Kanes not alone in his thoughts on wearing a suit but it would be a very small group,

noooo. I am saying Dubas should let the team dress as they want. Now teams need rules caz they need to have an open forum to discuss conflict. There is lots of conflict in the room. So, managed well, I dont see a reason that the leafs cudnt be 'rockin the walk' for pregame!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Dubas is a hard working, intelligent guy so I wouldn't classify him as progressive, mainly because most things he does are for the betterment of his team.

Reactions: 54thecup

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
noooo. I am saying Dubas should let the team dress as they want. Now teams need rules caz they need to have an open forum to discuss conflict. There is lots of conflict in the room. So, managed well, I dont see a reason that the leafs cudnt be 'rockin the walk' for pregame!

I think the dress code is league mandated.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Oh god.

This reminds me of Tyron Woodley when he was the UFC's welterweight champion, he pulled the race card on several occasions and lost a ton of his fanbase doing so. When you looked at the overall picture - there was no tangible evidence of him being mistreated whatsoever relative to other UFC champions.

I don't follow Kane's rationale either. I mean he could know something we don't, but I really doubt it.

You never gain fans by playing the victim card.

I tend to think when people are attacking celebrities or sportsmen (especially on social media or on-line where there's a degree of anonymity) they tend to go for the easiest most offensive thing possible

So skin color, sexuality and gender, religious affiliation, political beliefs, so when women get attacked on-line you get more sexual threats but guys just get more abuse generally

If your going to be online you know what your in for and if you don't your deluding yourself

Reactions: IPS

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I understand the reason, but I just don't buy it. The notion that you're professional if you wear a suit and you aren't if you don't, is entirely arbitrary, IMO. I could state that you have to wear tassels in order to be professional and it wouldn't make any less sense.

I grew up on punk rock though, so it's predictable that I don't buy it. I'm into actually behaving like a professional, but have no time for jumping through a hoop to prove it to someone, especially when it doesn't actually prove anything. Results speak for themselves.

Last edited:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Absolutely basketball hinders hockey with HRR, and the atmosphere and the on ice product . Having purple and hideous dinosaurs around a storied NHL franchise takes away from the experience of going to the arena.
ACC was made for the Raptors. If anything, it would be the Leafs getting forced out.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's possible to understand the reason and disagree with it.
They believe it's a joke, I guess that could be there understanding of it.
Keep fighting the good fight though.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I understand the reason, but I just don't buy it. The notion that you're professional if you wear a suit and you aren't if you don't, is entirely arbitrary, IMO. I could state that you have to wear tassels in order to be professional and it wouldn't make any less sense.

I grew up on punk rock though, so it's predictable that I don't buy it. I'm into actually behaving like a professional, but have no time for jumping through a hoop to prove it to someone, especially when it doesn't actually prove anything. Results speak for themselves.
It's got nothing to do with being a Professional, they've been wearing suits to games since they were little kids.
Putting a suit on to go to the rink is part of the pre-game routine same as taping sticks, etc.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It's got nothing to do with being a Professional, they've been wearing suits to games since they were little kids.
Putting a suit on to go to the rink is part of the pre-game routine same as taping sticks, etc.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to suggest that the reason it's part of the routine is because of the appearence of professionalism that I was referring to.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010

*he's worth 15mAAV
* he don't like the peg

I know for a fact Kane has a bad rap outside of hockey with what he engages in so who cares about his opinion.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad