TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Can Gord Miller go a minute without mentioning getting texts or having dinner with a top "NHL EXEC"? We get it Gord, you are important.

Gord Miller can think he is important all he wants... no one else does. He should just worry about doing his job. Which is being a play by play guy.

Just let him live in his fantasy world.

Guy acts like he is the MOST important. A lot of people become more wise and humble when they get older. I feel like it's the opposite with him.

Reactions: WillNy29

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
TSN 1050 and the Fan 590 and their affiliated TV networks are Toronto based as are the listenership and viewership.
Sort of like Toronto Blue Jays and Raptors players don't get recognition because it's not on ESPN, if it happens outside of Toronto, then it didn't happen on Sportsnet or TSN, so the rest of the country thinks we are a spoiled brat
Toronto sports are easy for broke and lazy Toronto networks to cover-unlike anywhere else- and the teams have PR departments to spin the position of ownership.
Hockey fans outside of Toronto - heck even in Toronto! - get pissed off when the monotony of hockey is broken by some talk of Leonard, Lowry or whoever for the Blue Jays is at bat.

Shocking - SHOCKING I SAY! - That Toronto radio covers Toronto sports teams.

Heres a hint - you can listen to any sports radio from any city in north america over the internet

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I was pretty shocked the other night when none of Hayes, Ferraro, or Odog admitted to having ever watched any of Breaking Bad. Actually Ferraro was the only one that had watched an episode and said he watched the first one and just didn't get it or the appeal. Completely blown away - not only was Breaking Bad unreal and imo a must-see show, but the first episode was one of my favourite first episodes of any show ever, so I'm lost and disappointed at Ferraro's comments!

I watched the first season, and stopped. Was trash. Most overrated show in TV history, IMO.

Reactions: TheShape

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Can we thread ban people who come into the Toronto sports media thread on a Leafs board and complain that the Toronto sports media covers too much Leafs hockey

I find it to be a fascinating sociological experiment to give them a platform to remove all doubt.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I get the vibe Mike Johnson doesn’t have much time for Gino Reda or Gord Miller.

Refreshing hearing someone else cut Miller off for once.
Mike Johnson is awesome. Great to hear from a really intelligent, honest guy who can also back it up with experience.

Gord Miller annoys the heck out of me. He speaks as if he believes every word dripping off his tongue is the Absolute Truth. Nothing against him when he's doing play by play though.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
The only show I can stand to listen to is Overdrive and it's mostly for the banter

Reactions: AreBe

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Someone tried to argue with me that Breaking Bad glorified drug dealing and they refused to watch it for that reason

Lolllllllll

Maybe you shouldn't laugh at people just because their moral decisions aren't the exact same as yours?

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I watched the first season, and stopped. Was trash. Most overrated show in TV history, IMO.

Give it a fair shake and watch the whole series before you call it overrated. Judging the entire thing on the first, shortest, and weakest season is incredibly premature. Every season ramps up better and better than the last and the final season is unrivalled.

Unless you're one of those people who just go against the grain to be hip or whatever, and refuse to watch an insanely popular and acclaimed show just out of spite. I know people like that. I know a guy who stopped watching after the pilot just because Bryan Cranston was in his tighty whities lol. Grasping at straws for a reason to judge an entire show on a tiny sample.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Give it a fair shake and watch the whole series before you call it overrated. Judging the entire thing on the first, shortest, and weakest season is incredibly premature. Every season ramps up better and better than the last and the final season is unrivalled.

Unless you're one of those people who just go against the grain to be hip or whatever, and refuse to watch an insanely popular and acclaimed show just out of spite. I know people like that. I know a guy who stopped watching after the pilot just because Bryan Cranston was in his tighty whities lol. Grasping at straws for a reason to judge an entire show on a tiny sample.

A critique that a show was simply "trash" and the "most overrated show in tv history" really didn't warrant this type of rebuttal..

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I was pretty shocked the other night when none of Hayes, Ferraro, or Odog admitted to having ever watched any of Breaking Bad. Actually Ferraro was the only one that had watched an episode and said he watched the first one and just didn't get it or the appeal. Completely blown away - not only was Breaking Bad unreal and imo a must-see show, but the first episode was one of my favourite first episodes of any show ever, so I'm lost and disappointed at Ferraro's comments!

I also struggled through most of the 1st season and then it lost me. I know only one person that actually finished the series.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I watched the show. It truly is quality television - a good show for sure. Still monstrously overrated in MY opinion.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

but the thing is. that's what most people do. i know a lot of people who quit shows etc after a season (or a few episodes) because it doesn't grip them. I didn't like the first season, and while i do believe people when they say the next three are better, i simply don't really want to waste more time trying to figure out if that's true or not, when i have a lot more things to do). time is precious.

A critique that a show was simply "trash" and the "most overrated show in tv history" really didn't warrant this type of rebuttal..

well it's obvious that you like the show.but he doesn't like it and to him it's overrated. there are a tonne of people who feel game of thrones is overrated. it's their opinion. it could be not in their wheelhouse, or just doesn't hit the same notes for them as it does for other people. it's why it's called personal opinion.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Yeah I think my OP on this topic was more of a shock that none of these guys had even watched an episode, not that they never watched the series until the end. And with the exception of Ray who only watched the first episode was also a shock because some really good shows I've enjoyed over the years didn't grab me with the first episode (I'll use The Wire as an example since Stringer Bell has joined the discussion...) but with BB the first episode left me with a "holy **** I have to watch more, like now" type of feeling, which has been rare in my experiences with various shows.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
but the thing is. that's what most people do. i know a lot of people who quit shows etc after a season (or a few episodes) because it doesn't grip them. I didn't like the first season, and while i do believe people when they say the next three are better, i simply don't really want to waste more time trying to figure out if that's true or not, when i have a lot more things to do). time is precious.

well it's obvious that you like the show.but he doesn't like it and to him it's overrated. there are a tonne of people who feel game of thrones is overrated. it's their opinion. it could be not in their wheelhouse, or just doesn't hit the same notes for them as it does for other people. it's why it's called personal opinion.

Completely agree with all of that. I would never give a show even a full season if I wasn't into it (Game of Thrones was actually the longest rope I've given a show, maybe 6 or 7 episodes before I said enough and realized it's not for me). I also realize not everyone will have the same taste. But to simply call a show trash and the most overrated in tv history without ONE reason is suspect. For example Game of Thrones for me was boring af - at least that's one reason I thought it was trash...

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
i already i'm tired of Andi being back (sigh)

The only show I can stand to listen to is Overdrive and it's mostly for the banter

Andi and all of hosts are great on both TSN 1050 and 590 and not worthy of attack,
What can you do on a slow news day, especially if you can't talk about Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Lowry and the Raptors but pray for some Leafs enchanter?
Leafs Beat, Leafs Street, Leafs Meet, Leafs Yakety Yak!
August 1 to August 15 or 2o, they must find a Leafs supplanter!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Can Gord Miller go a minute without mentioning getting texts or having dinner with a top "NHL EXEC"? We get it Gord, you are important.

100% embellishment. He maybe a few times actually got a text, but using his catchphrase "I just got a text from a league source" he thinks makes his point more important and correct. The guy is a grade A moron if he thinks people believe league sources are listening to him every time he is on the radio, because he uses that catchphrase every single day. Im sorry I wish another TSN employee would call bullshit on it when he says it

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

you cant say that without watching every episode though. All you can say is "season 1 was trash, most overrated season in TV history" you understand that right?.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

great points daisy but the guy above said "most overrated show in TV history after watching 1 season" how does he know? he doesn't just like you don't, and its fine not to like it but to trash a show without watching is stupid.

I watched every episode of the wire it was really good but not the best TV show in TV history like some say, I can say that because I watched every episode. It still just boils down to my opinion but at least my opinion is informed having watched the entire show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad