TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Auston Matthews' agent, the guy who works for The Orr Hockey Group, the agency that represents Connor McDavid, is not going to be asking more than what McDavid is making. Just my opinion.Matthews will be signed to an 11 million per year contract or something in that area.

If Matthews tells him to ask for more, he’ll ask.
If I was Matthews’ agent, and the Leafs didn’t pay the asking price, I would advise him to wait until July.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Cap is going up and the amount you can pay your most expensive player goes up too
We can keep all of our stars - we will keep the fat cats- but everyone else is league minimum wage
This relates to Sparks, as we need to have rock - bottom cost for backup goalie, we all know this is true
You pay a player 10 million a year or 1 million a year, never, ever 5 million a year. Welcome to the new age

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Matthews’ contract will be easy. He’ll fall anywhere between Tavares and McDavid.

Marner is the wildcard for me

Reactions: AreBe

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wheeler: "What is Kadri to this team" (based on some Babs comments).

Get a playmaking winger on his line and he'll hit that 30G mark no problem: Hyman-Kadri-Bracco

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
Gnashing of teeth, Gnashing of Teeth Canada lost a children's hockey tournament!
Open phone lines group therapy on how Canada was too weak for those skilled Eurotash skaters
If you are upset about 18 year olds losing then I have reason to question your judgement
Canadians need to tone down the chest thumping jingoism and lay off bashing the teenagers who lost, just put this over-hyped thing in perspective and turn down the hate.

Reactions: Matthews34

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Listening to Leafs Lunch sans Andi hosted by Gino Reda, what a pleasure. No talk of Andis appearance, tastes attitudes or family. Just hockey and I don’t particularly like Feschuk and really don’t like Miller. Please send Andi to bigger things and get her off this show.

Reactions: forecheck

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Mark Roe is my favourite "guest host" when Andi is away.

Hes way better then Andi. I dont really like Gino much to be honest.

I like Roe as well, anyone who will stick to the point of the show, Leafs and hockey in general ,is just fine. It’s the “me” theme that Andi brings far to often and far to long that I can’t abide.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Gsh

Oct 14, 2018
Cap is going up and the amount you can pay your most expensive player goes up too
We can keep all of our stars - we will keep the fat cats- but everyone else is league minimum wage
This relates to Sparks, as we need to have rock - bottom cost for backup goalie, we all know this is true
You pay a player 10 million a year or 1 million a year, never, ever 5 million a year. Welcome to the new age
Yea! Screw depth!

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
Yea! Screw depth!
Now you understand the cap and how it works!
Between the fat-cats and the OK NHLer guys is a massive breadth
Depth is one of a long list of penalties Leafs fans pay to prop up hockey in marginal hockey markets and we worship the NHL as a true Canadian cultural phenomenon, we are a bunch of idiot jerks!
Sparks is an award winning goalie and getting rid of him is textbook Harold Ballard era "thinking" which was not at all in-depth

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think most of the talk comes from the fact that we have probably the least amount of assets (cap room) of the teams with high profile RFAs. And we're also one of the only team with two high profile RFAs.

OH, i don't know about that

The Jets have 23m in cap , they need to add 11 contracts ,RFAs Liane (will get Matthews $), Trouba (will get Gardiner $), Conner (will get Nylander $) plus 5 regular icetime RFAs and Myers UFA

TBay is in the worst shape and it's not even close,, 6.3m in cap space and they need 8 contracts ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Point (will get 10m),,,,Stralman,Girardi,Coburn 3 of their top D are UFA and thats only half of the 8 contracts needed.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
But they actually don't talk about all the RFAs. Only 2. That is my point.
In fact, Toronto Star had an article recently stating Johnsson and Kapanen might get offersheets.
It's getting ridiculous.

The media always need drama, angst , they are playing too well to draw to make it about that.

If they don't keep that chatter local then they will have to point out teams like Tbay/The Jets and "oh my how will they ever fix that".

It would kill their angst narrative of "offer sheet ,offer sheet" ,,, Someone going to tell me players like Brayden Point,,Lainne,Trouba,Conners (coming off back to back 30g seasons) are not offer sheet worthy?
How about Rantanen? 6.3m is their highest cap hit , will they poney up the 10m he is worth in the "new market"?

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
The media always need drama, angst , they are playing too well to draw to make it about that.
TSN 1050 and the Fan 590 and their affiliated TV networks are Toronto based as are the listenership and viewership.
Sort of like Toronto Blue Jays and Raptors players don't get recognition because it's not on ESPN, if it happens outside of Toronto, then it didn't happen on Sportsnet or TSN, so the rest of the country thinks we are a spoiled brat
Toronto sports are easy for broke and lazy Toronto networks to cover-unlike anywhere else- and the teams have PR departments to spin the position of ownership.
Hockey fans outside of Toronto - heck even in Toronto! - get pissed off when the monotony of hockey is broken by some talk of Leonard, Lowry or whoever for the Blue Jays is at bat.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
TSN 1050 and the Fan 590 and their affiliated TV networks are Toronto based as are the listenership and viewership.
Sort of like Toronto Blue Jays and Raptors players don't get recognition because it's not on ESPN, if it happens outside of Toronto, then it didn't happen on Sportsnet or TSN, so the rest of the country thinks we are a spoiled brat
Toronto sports are easy for broke and lazy Toronto networks to cover-unlike anywhere else- and the teams have PR departments to spin the position of ownership.
Hockey fans outside of Toronto - heck even in Toronto! - get pissed off when the monotony of hockey is broken by some talk of Leonard, Lowry or whoever for the Blue Jays is at bat.

Exactly.....the opposite occurs....but that’s OK

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
Exactly.....the opposite occurs....but that’s OK
But it is true! Toronto gets far more coverage here in Canada
It's like the converse of ESPN, all Toronto, all the way
Sportsnet and TSN are Toronto heavy, it is easy algebra
The rest of Canada probably tires of the Toronto Sports Network that is what I have to say,

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
If you listen to national shows like Hockey Central Saturday, then you will see that all teams get coverage.

Local shows on TSN1050 and 590 are going to be Toronto centric, just like local shows in other markets in Canada will focus on the home team in those market. This "Toronto Sports Network" stuff is a bunch of crap that people out west like to whine about.

TSN1050 and FAN590 are local stations, they will focus on local stories, the rest of Canada has their own Local stations so who cares if they are tired of us.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I get the vibe Mike Johnson doesn’t have much time for Gino Reda or Gord Miller.

Refreshing hearing someone else cut Miller off for once.

Love it. No idea why no one ever challenges Miller. I can only assume it is because of his seniority at TSN and they know it's a battle they would always lose.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Apparently Coliacavo called Nylander not an NHL player right now?...lol I hope Carlo's glass bones reads this...you sucked at hockey

In the preds game Armstrong essentially insulted the intelligence of leaf fans

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
Apparently Coliacavo called Nylander not an NHL player right now?...lol I hope Carlo's glass bones reads this...you sucked at hockey

In the preds game Armstrong essentially insulted the intelligence of leaf fans
Should do some reading on these boards and get some insights on the correctness of Armstrong
"Get rid of Nylander!" "Fire Babcock! " " What's the deal with all of this excessive skill?!"" Enough with these analytics based plans!"
Leafs fans still demand penalty box sitters! Dinosaurs convinced they don't have it wrong!
Leafs fans want to get rid of Sparks! Then wonder why he's hoisting the cup elsewhere- while we wait for the cup as we piss into bedpans!

Last edited:
Reactions: WillNy29

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I was pretty shocked the other night when none of Hayes, Ferraro, or Odog admitted to having ever watched any of Breaking Bad. Actually Ferraro was the only one that had watched an episode and said he watched the first one and just didn't get it or the appeal. Completely blown away - not only was Breaking Bad unreal and imo a must-see show, but the first episode was one of my favourite first episodes of any show ever, so I'm lost and disappointed at Ferraro's comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->