TSN on the COLD WAR PERSONALITIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
League revenue has grown from $400 million US in 1994 to more than $2 billion last season under his reign.
What more do you want?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Revenues quadrupled and they apparently got worse off. Its funny in light of threads where fans propose things like maybe putting more advertising on the jerseys and get a big tv contract. Yeah, if they could just make a little bit more money, just one more tax break, just one more stadium, just one more season ticket price hike, finally, the owners will be ok.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Notice if anyone takes a PA stance on any subject theyre biased and foolish, but if you take the owners side on any subject you're non-biased and just a really smart intuitive thinker.

lazaer

Jan 29, 2005
e-town
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Notice if anyone takes a PA stance on any subject theyre biased and foolish, but if you take the owners side on any subject you're non-biased and just a really smart intuitive thinker.

i'd say it's slilly to paint everyone who is pro-owner with such a broad brush, it make's you seem biased and foolish on the subject.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
lazaer said:
i'd say it's slilly to paint everyone who is pro-owner with such a broad brush, it make's you seem biased and foolish on the subject.
I don't see where he mentioned anyone specifically -- pro-owner or not. Hmmmm.....who's biased and foolish?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
kinda like when someone doesn't agree with Saskin and Bobbins, they are deemed uninformed...

lazaer

Jan 29, 2005
e-town
Weary said:
I don't see where he mentioned anyone specifically -- pro-owner or not. Hmmmm.....who's biased and foolish?

First of all i don't care how the two sides get a cba, i just want them to get one. i want to watch the NHL with the best players. I think that makes me pretty unbiased, but hey whatever floats your boat. When PS said "if you take the owners side on any subject you're non-biased and just a really smart intuitive thinker" IMO it seems PS didn't mention anyone but rather everyone who is pro-owner, thats just the way i see it though.........

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
AM said:
Here's the link:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9329

I never realized TSN was so biased.

Goodenow gets kudos for raising the player paychecks...not Bettman?

Where do they think the money comes from? Bobs piggy bank?

One thing I do agree with here, (besides the failure of Bettman) is "Daly would have crafted a deal by now if left to his own devices"
I'd think Daly would be a very good commish!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
How am I biased if I didn't even take a stance on anything? That just seems to be what I see when anyone mentions an article that seems to agree with the PA's stance or the Pro-owners stance. My personal stance is both sides have very good arguments and both sides have some pretty crappy ones. Like the other guy all I want is a new CBA in place I don't really care who believes who is wrong and who is right.

lazaer

Jan 29, 2005
e-town
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
How am I biased if I didn't even take a stance on anything? That just seems to be what I see when anyone mentions an article that seems to agree with the PA's stance or the Pro-owners stance. My personal stance is both sides have very good arguments and both sides have some pretty crappy ones. Like the other guy all I want is a new CBA in place I don't really care who believes who is wrong and who is right.

my bad. i completely agree with the above

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Brewleaguer said:
One thing I do agree with here, (besides the failure of Bettman) is "Daly would have crafted a deal by now if left to his own devices"

Yeah, Goodenow and the union would have jumped all over 53-55% linkage if Daly was offering it not Bettman. :rolleyes:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Whose pro-Owner? I am unlikely to ever be one or even to meet one. I am pro-fan and pro-NHL. And the biggest anti-sport and anti-fan factor in sports today is unchecked spending by the haves in a given sport which makes the game virtually unwatchable unless you come from those few blessed areas. Your players develope and go to those markets making you feel like a farm team for the big markets, who field virtual all-star teams year in year out, and at its worst (NHL not there yet but was quickly heading there) the majority of teams have little chance to compete absent a miracle on par with winning the lottery.

No, I am not pro-owner, I do not have anything against them making a profit, nothing against big player salaries either, but when it comes at the expense of the game and its watchability for me and the majority of fans of franchises league-wide, I know where I stand.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
me2 said:
Yeah, Goodenow and the union would have jumped all over 53-55% linkage if Daly was offering it not Bettman. :rolleyes:
Yeah but wasn't it Daly who offered to remove linkage? Once that happned, thats when the PA started talking cap.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
me2 said:
Which presumes that 53-55% linkage is the only solution. It may be the only one that Bettman likes -- but it's certainly not the only one.

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Whose pro-Owner? I am unlikely to ever be one or even to meet one. I am pro-fan and pro-NHL. And the biggest anti-sport and anti-fan factor in sports today is unchecked spending by the haves in a given sport which makes the game virtually unwatchable unless you come from those few blessed areas. Your players develope and go to those markets making you feel like a farm team for the big markets, who field virtual all-star teams year in year out, and at its worst (NHL not there yet but was quickly heading there) the majority of teams have little chance to compete absent a miracle on par with winning the lottery.

No, I am not pro-owner, I do not have anything against them making a profit, nothing against big player salaries either, but when it comes at the expense of the game and its watchability for me and the majority of fans of franchises league-wide, I know where I stand.
:handclap: Post of the year :bow:

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Brewleaguer said:

I agree....if Bettman and Goodenow are taken out of the picture, saskin and daly would have crafted a creative deal by december.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
well....

thinkwild said:
Revenues quadrupled and they apparently got worse off. Its funny in light of threads where fans propose things like maybe putting more advertising on the jerseys and get a big tv contract. Yeah, if they could just make a little bit more money, just one more tax break, just one more stadium, just one more season ticket price hike, finally, the owners will be ok.

my point exactly.

They are solving the NHLs problem right now.... which is a system which escalates payroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->