TSN: NHL still in talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

88Headdown

Jun 1, 2005
I just picture Bobby NotGoodenow doing anything he can to derail the process. Let's be honest here, there must be something going on substantial enough to slow this down as much as it has. Or, like Bobby Mac said, "those damn lawyers.."

Either way, I am sorta getting worried again. But this isn't suprising.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Six months from now ....

TSN has learned that the two sides meeting to end the 16 month old NHL lockout are inching closer to an agreement in time to save the 2005-2006 NHL season. Although both sides remain optimistic that a deal can get done, neither party is willing to give an exact timeline as to when an official announcement can be expected.

"We continue to hammer out the details of the agreement. This is pain staking but we have no choice but to through with this" says NHLPA Executive Ted Saskin.

According to sources, one of the rumoured hold ups are bathroom breaks for players during the game warmups and games. The Union contends that the game should not be held up while the player is in the dressing room taking care of "things". The League would like to hold the game up so as not give reason to other players to "fake" something like this and get off the ice once they have iced the puck and are not allowed to make line changes.

Let's hope they get this done fast since time is coming up on another lost NHL season.

For TSN, I am Bob Mckenzie.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Bob M, any new info today? Any idea when the deal ready for ratification will occur (i.e. days away, weeks away)

Vic Rattlehead*

It seems the majority of the board is too impatient. This deal is very close to being finished, it's going to be finished when the NHL and NHLPA are done with it, not when a bunch of fans want it completed.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
19bruins19 said:
It seems the majority of the board is too impatient. This deal is very close to being finished, it's going to be finished when the NHL and NHLPA are done with it, not when a bunch of fans want it completed.

Thanks for the clarification I feel so much better........... :biglaugh:

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
What the hell is taking them so damn long? Do they take 8 hours on each damn subject every meeting or something?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
SENSational said:
What the hell is taking them so damn long? Do they take 8 hours on each damn subject every meeting or something?

12 hours per topic, with a 2 hour break every 30 minutes.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
I think they are probably reading the various hockey forums and arguing
about which posters are right....

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
More news from the TSN insiders.
Apparently after 7 years, UFA age will drop to 25.
No more player performance bonuses after an entry level contract with the exception of older players and previously injured players.
Big nets, while won't go into effect this year, are still on the board and if all the rule changes for this upcoming year don't seem to do much, expect to see them next year

tmangos

Jul 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
SENSational said:
What the hell is taking them so damn long? ...
Rumour has it that not only did Bob re-join the talks but that he brought along a mystery man. Someone known only by the name "Spungo". And now we shouldn't expect a deal til September, apparently ... ;)

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
The UFA will generally be 27 according to Healy however if you have 7 years of NHL service you will be able to become an UFA, according to Healy. So, say Crosby plays when he is 18 and plays for all 7 years, he will be able to become an UFA at the age of 25 (according to Healy). If he started playing in the NHL at 19 it could be 26.

There seemed to be a little confusion so I thought I"d clear that up (I did see the clip).

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
19bruins19 said:

Too many people are media-crazy at this point. Can't really blame anyone for that (hell, I'm at least somewhat guilty of it myself). But you really have to look at the situation for what it is.

Two sides that still don't particularly like each other are writing out a 600 page legal agreement as they go along. If you ask a lawyer who has dealt with this type of situation before, he'll pretty much tell you this is not a recipe for speediness. A couple lawyers who post here have said as much. To try and put a timetable on this is total guess work; only a few dozen ways the process could be slowed down (and that might be a conservative estimate).

Most of the media who cares about hockey want to be the first ones to break the story and/or the first ones to say they were right. So they throw us fans a bone; a source tells them the talks are going well and only a few items remain, we hear the deal should be done in a day or two. A source says only the language remains, the deal should be done in a day or two. Realistically, its never that simple but I suspect at least some of them know that. They'll put it out there because they know people like us will gobble it up. Only a handful in the media have thought it through enough and/or are erring on the side of caution in their reporting.

I've been pretty optimistic for the last two weeks or so, and in my mind there hasn't been anything to quell that optimism. I know this is a difficult and time consuming process, so I keep my patience about it. I want this clusterf**k to end as much as anyone here. But given what the situation currently is, believing the media's timetable seems like a sure way to set yourself up for disappointment every day.

Take the dog for a walk, take the Mrs. out to dinner, see a movie, have a drink, relax; this agreement will happen.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Roke said:
The UFA will generally be 27 according to Healy however if you have 7 years of NHL service you will be able to become an UFA, according to Healy. So, say Crosby plays when he is 18 and plays for all 7 years, he will be able to become an UFA at the age of 25 (according to Healy). If he started playing in the NHL at 19 it could be 26.

There seemed to be a little confusion so I thought I"d clear that up (I did see the clip).
Yeah thanks, I misinterprited it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad