TSN: News Conference Wednesday at 1pm ET to announce cancellation of season

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Thank god - I was tired of this "soft cap" on a deadline... lets see a hard f'n date baybee.

So no matter what, this conference is going on -- good or bad --

Lets go NHL

edit: Thought of the moment: Just to keep in mind guys.... we might not hear a single thing out of these meetings until this press conference. Everyone will have this thing as written off dead by the time this goes down... then BAM -- Season Saved. Then we can finally get back to hockey and calling out all the posters who said they'd never watch NHL again.

Habber

May 31, 2002
Saskatoon, Sask.
Visit site
Glad to hear that the end is near either way. I don't know why they didn't do this two weeks ago, but whatever.

My prediction: Bettman calls a news conference for tomorrow to cancel the season. Talks are held tonight, the owners back off linkage, the players accept a cap, and the news conference tomorrow will annouce that an agreement has been reached in principal.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Thank god - I was tired of this "soft cap" on a deadline... lets see a hard f'n date baybee.

So no matter what, this conference is going on -- good or bad --

Lets go NHL

edit: Thought of the moment: Just to keep in mind guys.... we might not hear a single thing out of these meetings until this press conference. Everyone will have this thing as written off dead by the time this goes down... then BAM -- Season Saved. Then we can finally get back to hockey and calling out all the posters who said they'd never watch NHL again.

Umm, what meetings?

Lanny MacDonald*

Habber said:
Glad to hear that the end is near either way. I don't know why they didn't do this two weeks ago, but whatever.

My prediction: Bettman calls a news conference for tomorrow to cancel the season. Talks are held tonight, the owners back off linkage, the players accept a cap, and the news conference tomorrow will annouce that an agreement has been reached in principal.

I think that is very unlikely. The owners will not back-off on linkage now. After letting the majority of the season slip away and being completely unsure of what the economic future looks like, there is no way the owners will back-off on linkage. The only way that happens is if the players agree to a $25 million cap, and that is not going to happen.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Chinook said:
Well, if either side lets this season go down without a fight, I think they'll lose too many fans for good.

You'd think any rational party would be putting up a fight. But these two guys haven't met since Friday, with a deadline of the weekend. Pathetic.

I don't see how an agreement can be hashed out in a few hours when little to no progress has been made to this point.

Season's over.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
Jobu said:
You'd think any rational party would be putting up a fight. But these two guys haven't met since Friday, with a deadline of the weekend. Pathetic.

I don't see how an agreement can be hashed out in a few hours when little to no progress has been made to this point.

Season's over.

You're welcome to have that opinion, but I prefer to remain optimistic.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The only way this gets done is if the players come back with an acceptance of the hybrid system with a few minor modifications to the triggers: Give the PA proposal 2 full years (i.e. shortened season plus two) and any season after that go to the owners system if the triggers are met, move the triggers/cap a bit to 59% revenues etc.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Bell tolls for NHL on Tuesday

It looks like the NHL season has finally used up its nine lives as commissioner Gary Bettman is reportedly ready to axe the season.

(CP) -- NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will announce the cancellation of the 2004-05 season at a news conference Tuesday in New York, following the failure of both sides in the labour dispute to get a deal on paper by his weekend deadline.

The league was to put out an advisory later Monday but a source confirmed to The Canadian Press that the announcement will take place Tuesday.

MORE LATER

Top of Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad