TSN: Meeting is under way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reilly311

ESPN is having an update during the half time intermission of their basketball game. It's on now.

edit: They said there is a 45 Million cap in principle and it's expected that they'll un-cancle the season today. I suppose it's the same news we've been hearing. Nothing new.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
flybynite77 said:
They should do the whole Pope Election smoke thing. When they take a vote for a new Pope and none has enough votes they burn black smoke, then finally when they elect the Pope they burn white smoke.

They should be doing that here to keep fans updated... Black Smoke/No agreement yet. White Smoke=Season ;)

rofl.... :lol

Crows*

Tsn's reporting that the league is ready to make a new "offer" to the players. With only "cosmetic" changes to their last proposal they made as the "final " offer.

I don't see this as a good thing if true.

Kessick

Dec 25, 2003
Hockey Universe, ON
Visit site
flybynite77 said:
They should do the whole Pope Election smoke thing. When they take a vote for a new Pope and none has enough votes they burn black smoke, then finally when they elect the Pope they burn white smoke.

They should be doing that here to keep fans updated... Black Smoke/No agreement yet. White Smoke=Season ;)

They should also do a conclave when electing a new PA union leader. ;)

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Crows said:
Tsn's reporting that the league is ready to make a new "offer" to the players. With only "cosmetic" changes to their last proposal they made as the "final " offer.

I don't see this as a good thing if true.

If someone is specifying cosmetic changes, then I wouldn't worry much. I think cosmetic would probably involve UFA age, qualifying offers, arbitration, etc. If anyone would associate changes to the cap number or LT as being cosmetic, then that person really needs to reevaluate their grasp of the English language.

Crows*

Tsn just did a report from NY live.

And Farhan Lalji just noted the new 'offer" with cosmetic changes to it from the last 42.5 from the league on tuesday.

They also noted word of "ladder" system for the cap. Which would move the cap up every year about 500 k in the end stopping at 45 million in the last year of the deal.

Reilly311

Crows said:
They also noted word of "ladder" system for the cap. Which would move the cap up every year about 500 k in the end stopping at 45 million in the last year of the deal.

I don't really see the point of that.

Crows*

PitkanenPower said:
If someone is specifying cosmetic changes, then I wouldn't worry much. I think cosmetic would probably involve UFA age, qualifying offers, arbitration, etc. If anyone would associate changes to the cap number or LT as being cosmetic, then that person really needs to reevaluate their grasp of the English language.

I see what you're saying. BUt I still view that as bad.

If it was a deal collectivly they were working on. Then I won't be worried.

Tsn's report was talking about a brand "new" offer from the league that would only include small changes from their last one. Which like you said, probbaly not containa change to the cap. Which I see as being a sticking point because I think we can all agree a 45 million cap is going to get it done.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Crows said:
Tsn just did a report from NY live.

And Farhan Lalji just noted the new 'offer" with cosmetic changes to it from the last 42.5 from the league on tuesday.

That doesn't sound promising...

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Crows said:

If it was a deal collectivly they were working on.

Tsn's report was talking about a brand "new" offer from the league that would only include small changes from their last one. Which like you said, probbaly not containa change to the cap. Which I see as being a sticking point because I think we can all agree a 45 million cap is going to get it done.

bear in mind...the players on the whole are probably now willing to take a 42.5 cap. It was Goodenow's decision not to negotiate on the 49 million, and he's not in charge anymore.

Crows*

Reilly311 said:
I don't really see the point of that.

Well. If revenues skyrocket by the 6th year or whenever the last year of the deal is. Then it makes complete sense.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Crows said:

If it was a deal collectivly they were working on. Then I won't be worried.

I see what you're saying. You think it's bad because it only contains cosmetic changes. I gotcha.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050218_170817_1040

UPDATE: Sportsnet has learned overseas players Miikka Kiprusoff (Timra) and Aki Berg (Timra) were pulled from their league games Saturday to avoid injury. Fellow NHLer David Aebischer (Lugano) has reportedly packed up his belongings and is awaiting word from the meetings in New York City. Sodertalje, a team which employs numerous pro players, including Scott Thronton, Kyle Calder and Niclas Havelid, have reportedly voted 100 per cent to return to the NHL.

Reilly311

Crows said:
Well. If revenues skyrocket by the 6th year or whenever the last year of the deal is. Then it makes complete sense.

I don't think revenues will sky rocket. The league is going to lose money the first couple years after this lockout.

Spooner

Feb 26, 2004
Oh, here and there
The cosmetic changes everyone is talking about are that the NHL wants the CBA typed strictly in Times New Roman, wheras the NHLPA insists on Comic Sans. It's suspected they'll eventually settle around Arial or even Trebuchet, but whether they'll resolve this manner in time to begin the NHL season remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Crows*

bcrt2000 said:

UPDATE: Sportsnet has learned overseas players Miikka Kiprusoff (Timra) and Aki Berg (Timra) were pulled from their league games Saturday to avoid injury. Fellow NHLer David Aebischer (Lugano) has reportedly packed up his belongings and is awaiting word from the meetings in New York City. Sodertalje, a team which employs numerous pro players, including Scott Thronton, Kyle Calder and Niclas Havelid, have reportedly voted 100 per cent to return to the NHL.

:handclap: :eek: :yo: :lol:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Spooner said:
The cosmetic changes everyone is talking about are that the NHL wants the CBA typed strictly in Tomes New Roman, wheras the NHLPA insists on Comic Sans. It's suspected they'll eventually settle around Arial or even Trbuchet, but whether they'll resolve this manner in time to begin the NHL season remains to be seen.

:lol :lol :handclap: :handclap: :lol

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
bcrt2000 said:

Things are definitely looking encouraging today. Let's hope something gets done, but let's also hope that a new CBA is fair to all 30 teams. We could definitely use a League that is competitive through and through.

Doctor Zoidberg

Feb 16, 2005
Reilly311 said:
I don't think revenues will sky rocket. The league is going to lose money the first couple years after this lockout.

Assuming every single team reaches the cap limit, it's a grand total of 15 million extra LEAGUE WIDE per yer. Not a big deal at all.

Luongownage

Kassian? #epicfail
Jan 20, 2005
Terrace, BC
While all this optimism is great and it feels like it might actually get done this time, caution is the name of the game here. Lets not go inflating our hopes only to have them squished by more BS from both sides. Trust me, this will make the announcement all the sweeter when the eventual announcement comes down that the season is saved.

:D

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
FAN590's Howard Berger who is sitting outside the NHL office in NY cited multiple "unconfirmed" sources saying they are setting up a press conference for later today.

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Spooner said:
The cosmetic changes everyone is talking about are that the NHL wants the CBA typed strictly in Times New Roman, wheras the NHLPA insists on Comic Sans. It's suspected they'll eventually settle around Arial or even Trebuchet, but whether they'll resolve this manner in time to begin the NHL season remains to be seen.

:lol: The sad thing is I could actually see them bickering of font type :shakehead

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
flybynite77 said:
:lol: The sad thing is I could actually see them bickering of font type :shakehead
if bettman and goodenow were still involved maybe.

"We don't even HAVE Comic Sans. You can look at our computer!"

"We don't need to look!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad