Tsn last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaneuf*

I heard Bob McKenzie say that teams have untill the end of the season to get under 39 million. So that means that Det, Col etc.. could sign a bunch of UFA's to 1 year deals and have a 60 million payroll ALL season then at the end of the season once those one year deals are up they can get back under 39. They could keep doing this all they wanted then unload at the end of the season. Seems stupid to me a hard cap should be something you can go over at all.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Phaneuf said:
I heard Bob McKenzie say that teams have untill the end of the season to get under 39 million. So that means that Det, Col etc.. could sign a bunch of UFA's to 1 year deals and have a 60 million payroll ALL season then at the end of the season once those one year deals are up they can get back under 39. They could keep doing this all they wanted then unload at the end of the season. Seems stupid to me a hard cap should be something you can go over at all.

Every transaction will have to be approved by the NHL head office.

Having the signing of a UFA when you're already at the limit approved by the HO is highly unlikely, in that you are not trying to "get under the cap."

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Phaneuf said:

What he sais was you total payroll for the season could not exceed 39 million. So if you start the season with a payroll of 25 million then added a few star players later in the year your payroll could go over 39 million as long as the actual paychecks written for the year did not exceed 39 million.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
As I understand it - you are not allowed to spend over 39 million for the season.
No matter how much your payroll is at the start, or the end - a total of 39 mill is all you are allowed to spend for the year.

Obviously, Bettman has not sent me my own personal copy of the cba so I could be wrong.. :)

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Phaneuf said:

you misinterpreted what bob said

he said: teams have a spending limit of 39 Million for the WHOLE season... and if a team underspends the whole season, they can add players which will make them go over the cap at the end of the season, as long as the total amount of money they've spent on players during the year is under the cap...so say if a team has a $35M payroll... at the trade deadline its conceivable they could add $10M of players and have the total amount of money that their players are making be $35M + $10M = $45M which is over the cap, however, the team would be on the hook for maybe only 20-30% of that $10M, so they'd be well under the cap.. if a team spends more than $39M then there will probably be a large penalty.. we don't know, but i'm guessing it will be multiple draft picks (at least for repeated offenses) and perhaps a fine that will go into the revenue sharing pool

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Phaneuf said:

See I didn't take it that way. The annual salaries of all players when added up can equal more the cap ceiling at any time during the season. But, the team itself cannot spend more then the cap ceiling set at 37M-39M. I just wonder what would happen if a team spends 36-37M with still a month remaining in the season. Again, maybe this is something the escrowing a portion of the players salary helps compensate/correct.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Phaneuf

Let's say a team has a payroll of 35 million halfway through the season.

What it means is that you could at that point trade for a player making 7 million, because you're only paying out half his salary.

You still come in at a total of under 39 for the year.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
PepNCheese said:

What it means is that you could at that point trade for a player making 7 million, because you're only paying out half his salary.

The only problem with a scenario like this is once the next season starts you need to find a way to trim your payroll to stay under the cap for the following year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yup, it's basically an attempt to maintain some semblance of the annual trade deadline frenzy.

GMs will have to be very careful, though, and either have a capologist or another staff member double check to make sure they aren't spending more than 39M.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Spongebob said:
The only problem with a scenario like this is once the next season starts you need to find a way to trim your payroll to stay under the cap for the following year.

thats why you only trade for players with a 1 year contract

imo i think in this new system there will be a lot more 1 year contracts, at least for next season as its possible the cap could go down to under $30M (if revenues fall below $1.4B)

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
bcrt2000 said:

imo i think in this new system there will be a lot more 1 year contracts, at least for next season as its possible the cap could go down to under $30M (if revenues fall below $1.4B)

I agree with alot of contracts being only 1-2 years, but even if the revenue went to $1.4 billion the cap would probably be set to about $32 million.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
PepNCheese said:

Basically, salaries are paid on a semi-monthly basis July, 05 - June 06. So, if a team adds a player at the trade deadline, 3/4 of his contract is already paid (roughly). So if you add a player making 4 million per year, a team is basically responsible for 1 million. And then salaries are also effected by a ratio of games played/time employed. That was all under the old CBA...but I doubt that part changed too much...

EDIT: I don't know why I quoted...

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Spongebob said:

thats not really a problem, its the Cap System.

You gamble, hoping you can trim going into next season.

Basketball does this stuff all the time. You see trades of players at the end of thier contacts, just so they can unload a contact of thier own. The Detroit Pistons traded Corliss Williamson, who had 3 years left, to Philadelphia for Derrick Coleman, who had 1 Year left. IT was done simply to unload Both contacts. Colemen;s contact was up at the end of the year so they had no long term cap hit with him, and the moved WIlliamsons' large contract.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Spongebob said:

true but odd are you'll have a number of free agents every year so you can cut payroll that way or you can make a trade...if teams can make late season additions to add guys since they are only paying a portion i think those teams will be willing to make those moves and then worry about making a trade after the season to fix things for next year...

and also in that scenario you could start next season over that $39 mil cap as long as your real expenses get below it before the year is over.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
this also means that if a guy gets seriously hurt and insurance picks up the salary that would free up cap room since the team isn't paying it which imo is good.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
bcrt2000 said:

There'll be a lot of 1 year deals, especially this summer. I would think the only time the cap might go down is in the summer of 06. I don't see revenues going down much after this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad