TSN: It´s not done yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
felixno44 said:
looks like the la times lost some of it´s credibility...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

article says maybe this weekend, rather at the beginning of next week.

To be fair, they seem to be jumping the gun and do say that it will be announced early next week - but I don't see them losing credibility (not as if they were known as a source of NHL news or anything in any case)...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
the reporting of the lockout in the LA Times has never been accurate

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Add them to the list of news sources that have lost their credibility in this . . .

I think that the various parties are using the media to influence their positions with premature and down right wrong leaks. How many times have we seen this in the past? How many times have we seen competing and totally opposite leaks often within hours of one another. I take everything with a huge grain of salt these days, until I see Bettman and Co. stand up and announce it themselves.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Look's like there could be a battle over 2004/2005 contracts and unfortunately, it looks like Bettman wants his own "Little Big Horn."

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Montrealer said:
To be fair, they seem to be jumping the gun and do say that it will be announced early next week - but I don't see them losing credibility (not as if they were known as a source of NHL news or anything in any case)...

Helene Elliott is a HOF hockey writer... I don't think she loses ANY credibility. What about Stan Fischler and Al Strachan... They both said there would be a Luxury Tax. No mention of it thought. If there isn't one, do THEY lose credibility?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just a note, from the TSN article. If TSN trumps LA Times . . . then the lottery sounds a hell of a lot like what we heard of Bettman's plan, with the 4, 3, 2, 1 lottery balls:

The Times reported some details of what it believes will be in the new accord. One of them was that when the NHL entry draft lottery is held to determine order of selection that every team will have an equal chance -- one in 30 -- of getting the first overall pick and the right to choose phenom Sidney Crosby.

Sources tell TSN that when the lottery is conducted, it will be a slightly weighted lottery, giving the teams that have performed poorly over the last three or four seasons a slightly better chance than those who have performed well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129820

bluebleeder38

Feb 8, 2003
The S.T.L.
Visit site
I'd like to think that ESPN, the LA Times, and USA Today wouldn't risk being wrong on this...then again, although I'm not sure about the LA Times and USA Today, ESPN did have the false report of the lockout being over in February on their website.

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
bluebleeder38 said:
I'd like to think that ESPN, the LA Times, and USA Today wouldn't risk being wrong on this...then again, although I'm not sure about the LA Times and USA Today, ESPN did have the false report of the lockout being over in February on their website.
Again, it's not ESPN and USAToday reporting it. It's the LA Times being used as a source by the Associated Press, whose story is being picked up by ESPN and USAToday. That should be good enough for most, if they know how things work.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
It's just a matter of a media outlet trying to be the 1st one to report on when the lockout ends - 'cause if it did end today or tomorrw, then they could say "See?".
Personally, I don't they care much about credibility these days - if they're wrong, then they'll say "Well, that's what our sources said."
In any event, it gets people talking and gets the LA times noticed.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Holly Gunning said:
Again, it's not ESPN and USAToday reporting it. It's the LA Times being used as a source by the Associated Press, whose story is being picked up by ESPN and USAToday. That should be good enough for most, if they know how things work.

As quoted in the TSN article, both the NHLPA and League officials made a point of not only denying the story, but denying took the time do deny specific parts of the story and tell how the reality differed (ie, the draft for instance). What more do you need to disbelieve?

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
As quoted in the TSN article, both the NHLPA and League officials made a point of not only denying the story, but denying took the time do deny specific parts of the story and tell how the reality differed (ie, the draft for instance).
Read it again, carefully. It's unclear who the source of the other items were.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I don't know if I think that they have a deal or not, but this could be one theory about why they wouldn't admitt it.

If the NHLPA happens to vote this deal down after the public hears that there is a deal, that is one unrepairable PR mess. I don't think they will announce a thing until it is voted upon by both parties. I don't expect to hear from the NHL or the PA that a deal is done until the PA votes on it.

Captain

Mar 31, 2005
From SLAM Sports ...

Players fight to keep deals

Want '04-05 contracts honoured

However:

But other sources said there's no way NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will give in to the request as it could cost owners millions in buyouts.

Also:

Meanwhile, there was talk a tentative deal could be announced as early as today, but the speculation now is it might be announced on the weekend in the form of a simple press release.

Sources say the two sides won't hold a major press conference until the deal is ratified by the NHLPA and the owners -- something that could take up to 10 days after the tentative deal is announced.

Another possible snag:

Instead of a luxury tax after $30 million, there's now discussion that the top-10 spending teams will pay a percentage of their revenues to the lower-spending teams. That would not be considered a significant form of revenue sharing and might be frowned upon by the union.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Whether parties are denying it, its pretty clear that this will be done before the end of next week.

Now let's remember, both parties came out of a meeting saying no progress, and then the next morning we find out that the NHLPA has accepted a salary cap.

As much as you do not believe Eklund, TSN and the LA Times, you should also not believe these "statements".

CITYOFCHAMPS

Jun 30, 2005
California
LA Times lost it's Creditability a long time ago.

I live in California and most printed media in this state is second rate these days. LA Times syndication is dwindling. People are tired of hearing reporters; report their opinions and not the news. In addition the Internet has made it worse for the printed media.

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I hate the Media. Its official.

I posted here a while ago about ' The Hockey News ' a while ago stating that a CBA has been reached. And it hurt when they said ' No ' it hasnt.

They're soo desperate that they put rumors as facts. Making us happy and only to make everything pissy later on. I hate media! DUM SONOFAGUNS!!! :madfire:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
well, maybe...maybe not. it's not out of the realm of possibility that a deal has been reached. until a formal announcement is made...they're going to deny it. they can't give a sheepish grin and say, "well...alright, alright...you got us...game on!" Helene Elliott(who seems to be generally pretty reputable) seems to be sticking to her guns.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Weighted Lottery :handclap:
Awesome!

There's talk that rookie deals will be standardized at each position, which would halt the massive amounts being paid to young players in performance bonuses around the league.
This I don't like. I think a top 5 pick should be allowed X amount of dollars in signing and performance bonuses.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When I read the LA story, I wondered how you could have a deal in principle but not have resolution on the 05 contracts.
Those seemed to be opposing statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad