Tsn: is Crosby the best penguin ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Crosby is the 3rd best Penguin ever.
He could become the 2nd best before long.

He will have to show more than he has to ever compete for top billing. Compiling career stats through consistency could help his case, but even then, he just isn't the level of a healthy Mario Lemieux. My eyes tell me that.

Is Ovechkin the best Capitals player ever? Last season some would have thought so.

These kinds of threads are only tangentially about the history of the game. They are more about fawning over present-day NHLers, especially with such thread titles!

I can live with someone saying Ovechkin is the best Capital of all time, even right now. Because let's face it who is his competition? Langway, Bondra, Gartner and.............a young Scott Stevens?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I bet a lot of people think that TSN has lost the plot by even asking the question, but the subject is obviously prompted by Mario's recent widely-reported quote "What he's doing now is much more impressive than what I did years ago".

Maybe Mario is being too modest, but Sid's likely to be a clear #2 by the end of his career.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Crosby is already third among Penguins, but he isn't close to moving up the list yet. He can possibly equal Jagr's peak and will probably have superior longevity as an elite player, which would probably move him into #2. To overtake Lemieux as #1 he would need to enjoy a miraculous leap in ability around this point in his career, the likes of which no one has ever enjoyed to this point. I would say that is highly unlikely.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I can live with someone saying Ovechkin is the best Capital of all time, even right now. Because let's face it who is his competition? Langway, Bondra, Gartner and.............a young Scott Stevens?

I think Ovechkin is already the best Cap of all time. His one big criticism - lack of playoff success - can also apply to Langway, who I think held the title before Ovechkin.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It is feasible that Crosby could pass Jagr eventually (it'll take a few more years of domination for that to even come into play), but Mario is on a shelf unreachable by mere mortals. He's already in third though, a few steps above Francis.

And lol at Lang...he was good but he was still the third best player on his line when he had his best seasons (Kovalev and Straka both rank well above Lang in all-time Penguins discussion, as well as at the time).

Last edited:

StephenDedalus

Apr 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
I bet a lot of people think that TSN has lost the plot by even asking the question, but the subject is obviously prompted by Mario's recent widely-reported quote "What he's doing now is much more impressive than what I did years ago".

Maybe Mario is being too modest, but Sid's likely to be a clear #2 by the end of his career.

He used to say the same sorts of things about Jagr...frequently alluding to him as "the best player in the world" etc...The guy can speak modestly like that because everyone knows he was freakin superman. We used to have discussions like: "How many games does Mario have to play this year in order to win the Art Ross? 65?" We haven't had anyone in the league for years with that kind of talent. Crosby is amazing...probably the best in the NHL right now, but he is no Mario Lemiuex.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Crosby is the 3rd best Penguin ever.
He could become the 2nd best before long.

He will have to show more than he has to ever compete for top billing. Compiling career stats through consistency could help his case, but even then, he just isn't the level of a healthy Mario Lemieux. My eyes tell me that.

Is Ovechkin the best Capitals player ever? Last season some would have thought so.

These kinds of threads are only tangentially about the history of the game. They are more about fawning over present-day NHLers, especially with such thread titles!

Hey at least you are keeping an open mind about it.

I'm always suspicious when people say never to something that hasn't happened yet and is in the future.

For total career value as a Pen Sid is obviously 3rd behind Jagr and Lemieux but his 1st 5 stack up pretty well with either of those 2 guys, especially for those that give great value to playoff success and performance.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Clearly, in a cost-cutting measure, TSN is handing its programming over to its college interns. :facepalm:

I consider Sidney Crosby a generational talent, the best hockey player on earth. I likewise consider the mere question asinine and worthy of no further commentary on my part.

Note to Hardyvan123: sorry, you have got to be kidding. :shakehead

What am I kidding about?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
What am I kidding about?

Since you asked....

Mario had more regular season success than side but only reached the playoffs in his 5th year and Sid has been in 4 times with one Cup as the captain.

See your third point below.

Either way playoff success is more of a team stat and Mario really took off playoff wise during the Pens 2 cup wins.

Anyone who watched Mario TOY with the NHL in the playoffs of 1991 and 1992 would disagree 100%. Yes, it's a team accomplishment. But great players lead teams. Mario, those two springs, did it arguably in as dominating a fashion as any player ever. To casually pass it off as "a team stat" (and you are not alone in making this comment regularly about playoff performances) devalues the disproportionate impact the Pens captain had in those playoffs. Yes, those Pens teams were great. Mario was legendary.

Mario had a better supporting cast in his 5 years overall IMO.

First: so what????????????????????

Must we ALWAYS fall back on this inane HF line of thinking that a player's accomplishments are devalued the more talented his teammates are?! It's ridiculous. And anyone who watched Mario knows he routinely made ordinary players great and great players even bettter.

Second: let's play along with this line of thinking, flawed as it is. Why then would you not apply it to Mario's first several playoff-less years, when the Pens lineup, other than #66, was comprised of rec league players?

...but I'm pretty sure if we had a poll on it in this section that it would lean pretty heavily towards Mario.

This is correct. For this board has the advantage of perspective. Sorry, no case can be made for Sidney Crosby, elite player he is, when compared to one of the top 3-5 players of alltime.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Since you asked....

See your third point below.

Anyone who watched Mario TOY with the NHL in the playoffs of 1991 and 1992 would disagree 100%. Yes, it's a team accomplishment. But great players lead teams. Mario, those two springs, did it arguably in as dominating a fashion as any player ever. To casually pass it off as "a team stat" (and you are not alone in making this comment regularly about playoff performaces) devalues the disproportionate impact the Pens captain had in those playoffs. Yes, those Pens teams were great. Mario was legendary.

First: so what????????????????????

Must we ALWAYS fall back on this inane HF line of thinking that a player's accomplishments are devalued the more talented his teammates are?! It's ridiculous. And anyone who watched Mario knows he routinely made ordinary players great and great players even bettter.

Second: let's play along with this line of thinking, flawed as it is. Why then would you not apply it to Mario's first several playoff-less years, when the Pens lineup, other than #66, was comprised of rec league players?

This is correct. For this board has the advantage of perspective. Sorry, no case can be made for Sidney Crosby, elite player he is, when compared to one of the top 3-5 players of alltime.

Couple of things here.

The entire point of my thread was to compare both guys in their 1st 5 years and it's my personal opinion that for most guys playoffs are about team success but of course this doesn't not apply as much to guys like Wayne, Mario, Sid ect...

Of course Mario took off in his 6th and 7th year in the playoffs and I never said anything to discount that, sorry you took it the wrong way.

Mario had some pretty skilled players in his time in Pitt on the PP with Bullard, Quinn and Coffey for the 4th and 5th years.

The Pens finally won the Cup when they added pieces like Trottier and Francis. That doesn't diminish what Mario did in those 2 cups because he was clearly the leader and the best player on both those teams

But heck I never deny Mario his greatness offensively, as I put him as the most talented offensive skill guy of all time and have said so in the past.

My biggest beef with some posters on here, and I'm not sure if you fall in this category, is that they can't compare the 1st 5 years of a past guy to a current guy without having the past guys later greatness influence their analysis on the subject at hand which was their 1st 5 years together.

Just compare the apples with the Apples is all I ask on that post.

And the part on Sid's playoff success and Mario's 1 year in the playoffs goes out to all those posters when comparing 2 guys take the more successful playoff guy as the tipping point.

This comes up over and over and if we take Sid and Mario's 1st 5 years Sid comes out ahead. Although this (playoff success) is more of a team than individual stat, if one is inclined to put a lot of weight on this they would lean towards Sid in this category).

Personally I always have trouble when attributing playoff success to one person (or lack of it) even with great players like Wayne and Mario because we can all see how hard it is to win a Cup (Wayne never won one after his 4 and Mario only won 2) and that it really takes a whole tam to win a Cup IMO.

I do think though for great players and team captains and leaders that we can attribute more success to them, although I'm not sure we can do the same with lack of playoff success of other like Sundin or Marcel Dionne for instance.

I hope that clears that up for you and that i was not kidding, there really is an argument about which Penguin was the best or most valuable in his 1st 5 years.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
The replies in this thread are proof that most HF members are under the age of 25...

If this year is any indication, Crosby's best is arguably better than Jagr's best. They're about equal offensively but Crosby has the edge in overall play.

For Crosby to become the second best Penguin of all time (#1 is pretty much out of the question), he's going to have to continue to do this on a consistent basis and maybe bring home another cup or two.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If this year is any indication, Crosby's best is arguably better than Jagr's best. They're about equal offensively but Crosby has the edge in overall play.

I agree that Crosby is a more well rounded player but I honestly don't see how he is better than Jagr offensively yet.

He doesn't have 5 scoring titles, and he doesn't have any single season better than Jagr's 3 or 4 best seasons. So both for career and peak up to this point he isn't better, offensively.

Crosby has half of one season this year that is roughly on par with Jagr's best full seasons. The difference is Jagr actually did them already and did it more than once.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I agree that Crosby is a more well rounded player but I honestly don't see how he is better than Jagr offensively yet.

He doesn't have 5 scoring titles, and he doesn't have any single season better than Jagr's 3 or 4 best seasons. So both for career and peak up to this point he isn't better, offensively.

Crosby has half of one season this year that is roughly on par with Jagr's best full seasons. The difference is Jagr actually did them already and did it more than once.

Just kinda curious how do you comapre each of them in their 1st five seasons?

Everyone knows that for their entire careers Jagr is ahead overall although an argument could be made in the leadership department.

Last edited:

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009

For Crosby to become the second best Penguin of all time (#1 is pretty much out of the question), he's going to have to continue to do this on a consistent basis and maybe bring home another cup or two.

Are you kidding me? That #2 goal was sick. That was up there with Ovechkin's sliding on his back goals.

I agree Crosby is ahead of where Jagr was 5 years in to their careers. But he's got a lot of ground to make up to beat Jagr's career. I'm not saying it can't be done, but 5 scoring titles, 4 of them consecutively, is not an easy thing to beat. He probably needs at least 2 more, maybe 3, and another Hart or 2 before he realistically can compare to Jagr's career. 1 of each isn't really going to do it, IMO.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Just kinda curious how do you comapre each of them in their 1st five seasons?

Everyone knows that for their entire careers Jagr is ahead overall although an argument could be made in the leadership department.

What does the first 5 seasons have to do with "the best penguin ever"?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Is being the "best scorer" or "most dominating offensive force" equal to being the "best Penguin", though?

Crosby's clearly behind Mario, regardless of the criteria. On top of his scoring exploits, the Pens won their Cups with Mario as THE catalyst after he learned a little about what it took to win at the '87 Canada Cup.

Jagr though, despite his scoring titles and offensive flair, was a one-dimensional player with a mercurial disposition that often ran contrary to his team. Crosby's already had two playoffs better than any Jagr had, and his work ethic and commitment to detail has had a trickle down effect to everyone on his team, as many have attested.

In terms of contributing to Pens' success, Crosby already has a very good case for #2.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
What does the first 5 seasons have to do with "the best penguin ever"?

Like I said if we are only comparing full carers then it's obvious but Crosby has only played in 5 full season so a more meaningful comparison at this point IMO is to compare the 1st 5.

What Sid does in the future no one really knows yet.

Seanconn*

Yeah... Jagr had what, 5 art Ross's and back to back stanley cups?? It's hard to hate on the guy given the financial situation of the team too. Jagr could have came a lot closer to Mario's club record had the team been able to retain Jagr, and not fall into financial oblivion. Crosbys been a lot more fortunate.

but the fact that Mario has played with Jagr, and even Sid for a small amount of team, and ****ing owns the team, and its record books. Sid has ****ing flat out zero chance at kicking Mario out of the number one spot. like he would have to win the cup this year, and for 3 more years, and basically turn the Pens into the 1980's oilers-- which is about the only better team (sans early 80's Islanders/70's Candiens) that I would consider better than the Penguins under the leadership of Mario, and when Jagr's hit his first scoring boom.

Mario number 1 pen ever. Jagr number 2. (Sidney Crosby would have to AT LEAST earn 4 more Art rosses, at least one more rocket) Crosby seems to have a much better chance at getting more Hart trophies. But I think Jagr was flat out robbed of it. And Joe Thorton's two more assists definitley destroyed Jagr's chance at what would have been his second Rocket Richard trophy. Let alone the fact that he almost always scored more assists than goals. Even more so than Crosby I'd say now, since he's switched more to goal scoring.

Do you realize that if either Mario or Jagr would have won the 93/94 Art Ross, they would have as a tandem won it for 10 consecutive seasons with the Penguins. It took Sid this long for lots of people to even consider him being better than Ovi. The 7 consecutive that they do have though, if most definitely a team record in the modern game. Edmonton has 7 in a row two, because Gretzky won 7 in a row. Lemieux even though mario and jagr were nowhere near hitting the top 3 in the 93/94 season season, but a healthy mario is almost a guaranteed top 1-2 scorer.

From 1988 to 2001, the Penguins took home all but 3 individual scoring titles in that 14 year time frame. Crosby and Malkin even come close to that?? nooooo.

Jagr vs Crosby is a LONG way from being even possible to talk about yet. 25 game streak doesn't equal 4 consecutive Art Ross trophies. But really, now, his 4 in a row is something Mario doesn't even has, and something Crosby would have to do for the next 4 seasons.

But Mario just flat out didn't play enough for 4 consecutive scoring titles in a row to be had. Healthy Mario would have rivaled Gretzky's 7 in a row, and Jagr probably would have only won like 3 of them. **** like Mario scoring 69 goals in 60 freaking games (92/93) is just INSANE how can Crosby ever compete with that? Gretzky barely can.

If Crosby is able to push past Jagr in Career points, or stick with the Pens ALMOST reach Jagr's career totals, plus win like 3+ more Stanley cups, but stays with the Pens his whole career like Mario did, then Sid has a chance at taking number 2 Penguin spot from Jagr, but is considered virtually an equal if not slightly less equal player. (If you consider Jagr to be the best european player in the modern NHL)

But really... 4 consecutive Art Rosses as a Pen (Jagr's Club record and I think like top 3 in the NHL) putting Crosby ahead of Jagr this early, wtf how? Jagr played over 800 games with the Penguins, and Crosby is only about to play his 400th. Jagr is a solid second for Penguins all time scoring. which he simply cannot compete with Mario's insane pace at 915 games. Sid does have the better pace than Jagr right now, but he'd have to at least keep his 100pt season minimum pace, and win more art rosses. If it takes Crosby more games a a pen to beat Jagr's record, or doesn't get at least 2 more cups, 3 more art rosses, 2 more hearts, and 2 more rockets. Jagr is still number 2 best Penguin.

I wish the pengs had just said, **** it. lets float jagr's salary, keep lemieux, try to sign one more center. Jagr could have had like 6 consecutive art rosses if he had stayed playing first line with mario, even if he was a risk for injuries.

Jagr's first season with the caps shows how great Mario and Jagr were. If only the Quebec government didn't give Mario a loan for the team earlier, and secured the survival of the Nordiques. :handclap: :laugh: :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sid is on his way to having the best career of all time for a Penguin.

When I say on his way, I mean he is clearly on track, and about 25% of the way there. If he stays on track for 12 more years or more and doesn't get derailed there will be no question...but if we are talking best peak he still has a ways to go...he may not have that piece of track...

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
And the part on Sid's playoff success and Mario's 1 year in the playoffs goes out to all those posters when comparing 2 guys take the more successful playoff guy as the tipping point.

This comes up over and over and if we take Sid and Mario's 1st 5 years Sid comes out ahead. Although this (playoff success) is more of a team than individual stat, if one is inclined to put a lot of weight on this they would lean towards Sid in this category).

Personally I always have trouble when attributing playoff success to one person (or lack of it) even with great players like Wayne and Mario because we can all see how hard it is to win a Cup (Wayne never won one after his 4 and Mario only won 2) and that it really takes a whole tam to win a Cup IMO.

I do think though for great players and team captains and leaders that we can attribute more success to them, although I'm not sure we can do the same with lack of playoff success of other like Sundin or Marcel Dionne for instance.

I hope that clears that up for you and that i was not kidding, there really is an argument about which Penguin was the best or most valuable in his 1st 5 years.

As far as I can perceive, for most sensible regular contributors to this board (and I'm not claiming to be either of those things), playoff performance tends to be used as a tie-breaker between players of similar stature. I've never seen anyone here suggest that say, Henri Richard is better than Mario on account of the rings he garnered.

In asking us to judge Mario on his first five years alone, don't forget that after five years we'd seen Mario run amok against the world's best in the Canada Cup. He'd surpassed Esposito's 152 point mark by emphatic margins twice and actually made some of Gretzky's hitherto stratospheric individual scoring records look catchable. Whereas despite Sid's many virtues, last summer we were scratching our heads and wondering how he'd let Henrik Sedin win the Ross, as well as asking when he was going to up the ante scoring-wise by surpassing Jagr and Thornton's points tallies from 05-06. Or tallying more goals in a single season than Jonathan Cheechoo. In short, after five years Lemieux seemed to have limitless possibilities-even when compared with Gretzky. Whereas some of Crosby's supporters have to contort themselves to explain why 120 points was his ceiling over the first five years of his career. Hence I don't put them on an equal footing, despite Sid's playoff heroics.

In terms of the Penguins as a club, after five years Mario had led them to consecutive seasons above .500 for the first time in over a decade and their best regular season points haul since 1975. Mario's arrival helped the Pens to an instant 15 point jump in the standings (compared to the zero point bounce they enjoyed in Crosby's rookie year). In Mario's second season the Penguins achieved their highest points tally since 1979. Unfortunately for them the Wales was a far tougher conference than the Campbell, so they hit a glass ceiling that prevented them reaching the playoffs. Mario getting injured in 86/87 didn't help.

If we're to compare apples with apples, we have to take into account the salary cap, drastically more liberal free agency and changes in the draft, all of which arguably give rebuilding clubs more flexibility now than they enjoyed in the 80s.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Like I said if we are only comparing full carers then it's obvious but Crosby has only played in 5 full season so a more meaningful comparison at this point IMO is to compare the 1st 5.

What Sid does in the future no one really knows yet.

No, that isn't more meaningful when you're asking who is the best Penguin ever.

It is a crutch used by Crosby supporters to blow him up even more than the ridiculous amount he normally is because he happened to hit the ground running in the NHL (and good for him doing so).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad