Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Burke opened up, and he was optimistic.

1. 6 year deal, short year this year and six more
2. Luxury tax is on the table
3. Profit sharing; if it tops 100 million it's a 50/50 share
4. Arbitration; rights for clubs and salaries

Still linkage apparently. Interesting point, any lying, million dollar fine and a first round pick, second time you get caught it's 5 million and three first round picks. Healy is still not optimistic. He notes that revenues can't be tracked or controlled; suggests a higher percentage of revenues that they could count and be sure about, like ticket sales or concessions. McKenzie notes that they should have done this 5 months ago.

Burke really sounds optimistic, and even Healy seems to think that there are some creative options available. That's interesting to me that Healy seems to think that there are opportunities available-he's clearly talking to the NHLPA, and he's been roundly negative up to this point.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Just watched that... it gave me shivers... Healy is really an idiot. I hope the NHL starts up and he quits the TSN panel due to embarrassment. He still said that he doubts there will be an NHL this year.

I can see where he is comming from, we stand right now with no official meetings or talking. But still... Since day 1 he was being an NHLPA fanboy, which gets annoying.

Hockey_Nut99

This threads better than mine. Guess we made it around the same time

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Scugs said:
Just watched that... it gave me shivers... Healy is really an idiot. I hope the NHL starts up and he quits the TSN panel due to embarrassment.
That would be wonderful... I am sure Knob Goodenow will be getting Healy a job in the PA somewhere... official bootlicker sounds appropriate...

cojac87

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Scugs said:
Just watched that... it gave me shivers... Healy is really an idiot. I hope the NHL starts up and he quits the TSN panel due to embarrassment. He still said that he doubts there will be an NHL this year.

I can see where he is comming from, we stand right now with no official meetings or talking. But still... Since day 1 he was being an NHLPA fanboy, which gets annoying.
I hate Glen freakin Healy :madfire: :bonk:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
BLONG7 said:
That would be wonderful... I am sure Knob Goodenow will be getting Healy a job in the PA somewhere... official bootlicker sounds appropriate...

Hey...Goodenow's desk isn't gonna tounguewash itself, you know. ;)

I'm sure Glen's doing a bangup job in that regard...seriously though, he has a role to play on that panel and don't think that at least part of those 'round tables' isn't scripted in some manner.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Digger12 said:
Hey...Goodenow's desk isn't gonna tounguewash itself, you know. ;)

I'm sure Glen's doing a bangup job in that regard...seriously though, he has a role to play on that panel and don't think that at least part of those 'round tables' isn't scripted in some manner.
Healy must have drawn the short straw, which left him playing the stupid one, night after night...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
HEALY is suppose to be like the way he is. TSN does actually want people to tune and they believe differing opinions attract more viewers. Which obviously I think it does because if everyone just agreed it wouldn't be entertaining. Healy being a former player is the perfect voice for the PA's perspective in that whole panel segment. People need to take it as it is, a segment where different opinions are thrown out there. I mean look at Don Cherry's opinions about European players. I totally disagree with everything he says but it makes for very good entertainment. And I watch coaches corner even though I disagree with 90% of what he says most of the time.

Hockey_Nut99

If the players still think the NHL is being unreasonable then there is something really wrong with them.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Random thought I had a few weeks back: I think there would be much more trust between the owners and PA if the owners let the PA hire 30 accoutants work for them and oversee each team's finances. They would work jointly with the book keeper of the owners side to make sure there isnt any "hiding of revenues" and see what exactly the teams are losing. They wouldnt look over previous season's books, but start whenever hockey season starts. I know I'm probably crazy/an idiot for thinking this, but its just an idea.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
The NHL owners have no obligation to open up their books to the PA, although they have made offers to do so that have been refused. If you own a private business the only people entitled to know your books are you and the tax man.

I think the owners resolve says something about the horrid state of their finances. They want (and believe they need) a cap.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Scugs said:
Just watched that... it gave me shivers... Healy is really an idiot. I hope the NHL starts up and he quits the TSN panel due to embarrassment.
I'm no Healy fan or supporter but i wonder why he would quit a job we would all love to have?

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Hockeyfan02 said:
I think there would be much more trust between the owners and PA if the owners let the PA hire 30 accoutants work for them and oversee each team's finances.

I think that would be a great idea! The Wirtz family and Cablevision should allow outside accountants full unrestricted access to their books. If they were serious about Saving Hockey, they'd surely throw this small bone to the players, wouldn't they?

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Hemsky4PM said:
The NHL owners have no obligation to open up their books to the PA.

But they *could* do that, right? Is there's anything legally preventing them from doing so? I mean, if you were losing millions in an enterprise, and the only thing keeping you from making a deal that would put you in the black was limited disclosure to a 'partner', you'd do it, right?

Unless you had something to hide, of course.

Dave141

Aug 31, 2004
I heard Burke last Wednesday on Vancouver radio, and he sounded very pessimistic. Do I allow myself the luxury of believing that he has changed his outlook because he is hearing good things?

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Dave141 said:
I heard Burke last Wednesday on Vancouver radio, and he sounded very pessimistic. Do I allow myself the luxury of believing that he has changed his outlook because he is hearing good things?
I guess it depends on whether you're enjoying this emotional roller coaster ride the NHL has us on.I dont get my hopes up any more,but i'm not overly optimistic by nature.And they certainly haven't done anything to change my outlook.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
First, I think the framework of this deal IS workable for both sides. Its linkage for the owners in bad times, and its guaranteed extra money for the players in good times. They might want a higher% of the profit, but this can all be negotiated.

Now, what still needs to be done (and this is what Healy, being the PA shill was commenting on) is what revenue counts, what expenses count, and how can the PA ensure the owners arn't cooking the books? It appears that the NHL put in a STIFF penalty for cooking the books, and wants a third party auditor to monitor the books, so all that SHOULD be left is what is relevent revenue, and what are relevent expenses?

I hope that through back channels this has been, for the most part, agreed upon, and then a deal can follow shortly. If this hasn't been agreed to, then something creative is going to be needed to get a season in.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
I hate to ask a question with an obvious answer, but I'm going to ask anyway. Where did Burke get this info? Is this speculation? Is this a leaked proposal? If so, is it formal (i.e. tabled) or informal?

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Video:

The far more thread-worthy discussion is the details around the NHL proposals that Brian offers up.

Here's the video:

http://prodtsn.tsn.ca/audio_video/video_loader.asp?reel=21305

ANd yes, Healy is paid to play a role, and he's playing it - poorly. He really sounds like an idiot.

Brian nearly made a 180 from his doom and gloom outlook when he was on CKNW on Thursday night. "Not time to celebrate, but time to be optimistic to a point".

- T

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
BLONG7 said:
Very interesting.... Brian Burke seemed overly optomistic... Healy seemed, well his usual moronic self...

Well Burke was pretty disheartened the other day, with the players lack of acceptance of the linkage, and of the owners lack of flexibility and compromise. This is a good offer for all sides, and its quite novel (didn't expect novelty like that from Bettman), so maybe he's swinging to the other happier extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad