TSN: Draft Lottery on TSN at 4 est Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
hockeynut11 said:
I just read another article and I understand it as the event being live. Even the drawing. Then the news conference will be held. So I guess we're going to see the event live.

The draft lottery, now a live event instead of the original idea of holding it behind closed doors, will be held around 4 p.m. EDT (TSN). Afterwards Bettman will then host another news conference.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130828

Not according to the Canadian Press...
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Draft/2005/07/19/1138724-cp.html

The drawing will be held behind closed doors. They will hold a press conference at 4pm to unveil the order from #30 to #1, a la the NBA lottery, which TSN will carry.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
The Iconoclast said:
I suspect that the drawing will be done 1 thru 30, but the reveal 30 thru 1. The teams with the most balls in the machine will have the best odds of being selected, so it would make no sense to do the drawing in a reverse order. And as a team who has extra balls gets selected the other balls must be removed from the machine to not skew the rest of the results. This will take time and will take a helluva lot longer than 1/2 hour. The results will be shown, but nothing more. We can at least hope for a chick with really big... hockey nets... to be on hand to jump around after each reveal, to add some excitment to a complete waste of time.

:amazed:

exactly.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
2 weeks ago were were all debating whether their would be a season or not, who cares about if the lottery is behind closed doors. The results will be shown live and it will be the most exciting thing in hockey in the last 300 days, so i am happy.

Enjoy it boys, because we have had nothing but bad news in the last year, im ready to take whatver comes to me.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
You know, with a TV, a webcam, and a server to stream off of, some generous soul could set up their own stream of the press conference if nobody else does..

Biatcheslov

Jul 14, 2005
Vancouver
EndBoards said:
You know, with a TV, a webcam, and a server to stream off of, some generous soul could set up their own stream of the press conference if nobody else does..

oooooh, now that sounds nice. Come on, someone...PLEASE!

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
The reason it is behind closed doors is so that, like some of the previous posters have alluded to, the NYR get the first pick. The owners all get some money to keep it under wraps. After the Lockout, the teams have agreed that in order to get the NHL back into the mainstream it needs a major market to get Crosby. If Columbus gets Crosby, the major television stations won't care. So, in the new NHL, the Rangers need to get Crosby. Why else would the drawing be behind closed doors?

Well, that is my consipracy theory. :propeller

If not a conspiracy, then the pick goes to the Devils, just be be cruel.

littleD

Has TSN or the NHL actually come out and said whether they are showing the actual drawing of teams or not yet.

I think having the word "lottery" is confusing a lot of people, me included. Another poster said that his local newspaper reported that the actual drawing of teams won't be behind closed doors. TSN first reported they would show the lottery live, which has people thinking they will show the actual drawing of teams.

NHL.com doesn't specify either, with the news of streaming the "lottery."

:dunno:

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
The announcement, 30 to 1 is live. It will be the first time anyone knows the order (that's what they mean by live). So if you want to know the order, TSN will be the first source to have it, as they will have the LIVE announcement. Got it?

Prior to that, only people involved in the actual draw know the results.

For the record, it will also be live on TSN's French sister, rds. 4 pm, Friday !

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/183821.html

Title : The Crosby lottery on RDS... :yo:

Rakiet*

Pantokrator said:
The reason it is behind closed doors is so that, like some of the previous posters have alluded to, the NYR get the first pick. The owners all get some money to keep it under wraps. After the Lockout, the teams have agreed that in order to get the NHL back into the mainstream it needs a major market to get Crosby. If Columbus gets Crosby, the major television stations won't care. So, in the new NHL, the Rangers need to get Crosby. Why else would the drawing be behind closed doors?

Well, that is my consipracy theory. :propeller

If not a conspiracy, then the pick goes to the Devils, just be be cruel.

Enough of the consipracy bs, you really think the other 29 teams won't have something to say about that? They'll sit quiet?..

What they must have is some sort of evidence to present to all teams to prove whether or not the entire process was legit. You just don't go into something like this with nothing to show for when the other owners ask 'how?' I think the 649 tapes the lottery drawings and records them, so if the lawyers could get their feet through the door, I'd expect there to be such a tape that will be stored in NHL archives in NY

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Pierre McGuire on the team 990 in Montreal just now clarified what will happen:

The event will be LIVE.

In one room, McKenzie-Miller-McGuire will be there along with Bettman and each's teams representative.

In another room, Daly and an accountant will be sealed off from the public. No phones, blackberry, etc They will conduct the lottery and after every pick they will send an envelope to the other room and Bettman will announce the pick.

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Marc the Habs Fan said:
Pierre McGuire on the team 990 in Montreal just now clarified what will happen:

The even will be LIVE.

In one room, McKenzie-Miller-McGuire will be there along with Bettman and each's teams representative.

In another room, Daly and an accountant will be sealed off from the public. No phones, blackberry, etc They will conduct the lottery and after every pick they will send an envelope to the other room and Bettman will announce the pick.

Ignore my last post. Did McGuire mention if the announcement would be from 30-1 or 1-30. If 30-1 did he say how they were going to do that? (would the Rangers have 1 ball and the Red Wings 3 for example)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Hedberg16 said:
Ignore my last post. Did McGuire mention if the announcement would be from 30-1 or 1-30. If 30-1 did he say how they were going to do that? (would the Rangers have 1 ball and the Red Wings 3 for example)

He used as an example Bettman saying after getting the envelope ''the 30th pick goes to...the Detroit Red Wings'' but didn't mention if this was definitely their plan or not.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Shawnski said:
Once the 2nd is picked out, the first is obvious. But point taken. Not to say they couldn't have done it. Bottom line, if you want fan involvement this is one way they could have done a 30 thru 1 weighted lottery live.

maybe they should do it Americas funniest home video style. Announce 3rd place and then the winner, skip second because no one cares who gets that pick. Everyone will be excited until their team is announced. After that its pretty easy to lose interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->