Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Shane said:
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. If their team doesn't win, it's "fixed". What a crock of BS. Seriously, everyone will be crying foul if NYR wins. Nevermind that they have the best odds. Seriously, they could win it legit, and everyone would be saying "the fix is in".

Exactly.

And the fans of the 30th team will claim, "once again, the NHL has screwed us over."

Shawnski

Jan 8, 2004
The Iconoclast said:
I was just about to say that. Probability has never played well in these discussions.

Doing some number crunching on it right now, but I will hold to my stated case that the odds would be similar (more balls picking first vs fewer balls picking last). Once a team is picked, their remaining balls would no longer be considered, thus they make no difference to the "next ball odds", regardless if their remaining ones are taken out all at once, or as they fall out individually... they are being ignored.

Will post back with my results.

rockon83

Mar 22, 2004
Manhattan(MA native)
Steve L said:
Yes, they have to pick the team who picks 1st 1st so the cannot announced the #1 pick last.
from sportsnet: "The order of the draft will be unveiled, starting with the 30th pick and ending with the prized first."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shownews.jsp?content=h071919A

it also says "But like the NBA, only the results of the draw will be shown. The actual drawing will take place away from the cameras"

so then its not live... right?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
rockon83 said:
from sportsnet: "The order of the draft will be unveiled, starting with the 30th pick and ending with the prized first."

it also says "But like the NBA, only the results of the draw will be shown. The actual drawing will take place away from the cameras"

The announcement, 30 to 1 is live. It will be the first time anyone knows the order (that's what they mean by live). So if you want to know the order, TSN will be the first source to have it, as they will have the LIVE announcement. Got it?

Prior to that, only people involved in the actual draw know the results.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
rockon83 said:

The lottery itself will not be shown live.

The results of the lottery will be revealed live.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
The announcement, 30 to 1 is live. It will be the first time anyone knows the order (that's what they mean by live). So if you want to know the order, TSN will be the first source to have it, as they will have the LIVE announcement. Got it?

Makes sense. That's the way the NBA does it and it seems the best way to go.

rockon83

Mar 22, 2004
Manhattan(MA native)
Tricolore#20 said:

oh.. thanks.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
ClaudeLemieux4HOF said:
imagine the drinking game u could play doing that? for every pick ur team isnt called you drink like half a beer? a double bonus if u get the #1 pick!

Oh boy, 14 1/2 beer could make every fan drunk. I ll try it, but with go' old german beer i probably wont make it till pick #10 or later if the nucks get that lucky. ;)

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Chileiceman said:
I betcha they don't want to pick the ping pong balls live, because they have it fixed so that the Rangers will get Crosby :D
But seriously is there any logical explanation as to why they won't show it live?
The four, five or six threads related with the lottery and spread on the various boards have failed so far to give any logical reason (not fix related).

Those threads also talked about how the lottery should be done, but without too much success it seems...

The Iconoclast said:
The teams with the most balls in the machine will have the best odds of being selected, so it would make no sense to do the drawing in a reverse order. And as a team who has extra balls gets selected the other balls must be removed from the machine to not skew the rest of the results.
FALSE.

Steve L said:
It would be almost impossible to do a weighted draw from 30 to 1..
Yes, they have to pick the team who picks 1st 1st so the cannot announced the #1 pick last .
False.

Shawnski said:
Actually, they could have done the 30 through 1 quite easily.

Instead of the four teams having three balls, give them only one. And those teams that have only one ball, give them three.
No. 72 balls (long process) and ALTERED odds.

they should do it this way:
demonic said:
..just draw all 48 balls and only count the last ball drawn for a particular team.
The first team to not have any balls left anymore gets position #30. The second team to not have any balls left anymore gets #29 and so on..

Unchanged odds, zero dead balls and it’s PERFECT for suspence!

turnbuckle*

Peter10 said:
Oh boy....

now i just hope they stream it. I sit here in germany so i d would really appriciate a live stream on the internet. Bob McKenzie!!! Do you hear me, please do something about it. LOL I just wanna follow it, just as every hardcore NHL fan in north america can do. In exchange i ll read the whole CBA from page 1 to 600+ every day for 6 months. ;)

Don't worry man. Just stay linked here to HFBoards. I'm sure my fellow HFers will be posting the results even quicker than an internet feed.

For all the grumbling I do on this board, I must admit that I love this site and wouldn't know what to do if it ever disappeared. The most informative hockey forum on the internet bar none.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
turnbuckle said:
Don't worry man. Just stay linked here to HFBoards. I'm sure my fellow HFers will be posting the results even quicker than an internet feed.

For all the grumbling I do on this board, I must admit that I love this site and wouldn't know what to do if it ever disappeared. The most informative hockey forum on the internet bar none.

Not to take anything away from this board (the greatest in the world, aside from my german board of course ;) ) but there is nothing like a live feed. I want it all, so i hope Bob can do something about it for all the european fans. We are already at the end of the food chain so please give this to us. ;) I would also like to have the NHL games on Internet stream for about $6 per game day (just like MLB) but only AHL is that smart. I guess i ve to live with the hi-lites shown on the NHL and TSN sites when it comes to NHL Hockey. Only Pay-per-view ava for me, and i m not going to pay about $30 for like 6 games per month.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Spongebob said:
Picking balls is just nasty anyway and who would want to watch that? :biglaugh:

May I suggest Brooke Burke in a thong reaching deep inside the machine each time to clean the extra balls out of the machine [from 6 different camera angles] before each round.....and then bringing over the lucky winning ball [in 8 inch spike heels, of course] to Gary Bettman after each selection to announce the winner.........

I guess I could be persuaded to watch as long as it takes....along with 100 milllion other men.....

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Steve L said:
Obviously you havent seen world cup or FA cup draws.

I've seen WC and FA Cup draws before, and it is pretty compelling. Unfortunately, we're dealing with a different animal here.

With the soccer draws, they have one ball per country and they're picked into matchups or groups. With the lottery, you've got 48 balls (I think) for 30 teams to pick an order of selection. They do the number one pick first, eliminating the most compelling aspect right at the start. And more than a few of the other picks won't be one right after the other, as duplicate balls will be picked or they have to remove duplicate balls if necessary after a pick (not really sure which way they're going to do it in this lottery).

You want TV to have a good flow and keep the audience's attention for as long as possible; showing the balls as they are picked does neither of those things. Announcing the results in reverse order after the drawing does, for the most part. It's the best they can do, at least.

Just for the hell of it, I thought about adding on a rant about the conspiracy theories that the draft will be fixed because it won't be on TV. I'll just say that unless Bettman is a closet magician and the several dozen others present suddenly go blind and dumb, we don't really have to worry about it being rigged. I could go on and on with how truly moronic it is to believe that the draft could be fixed, but in the interest of good taste just I'll stop here.

I get more long-winded than usual when I get my rant on; have a feeling that too many people would get tired of it after too long though.

hockeynut11

Jun 16, 2005
I just read another article and I understand it as the event being live. Even the drawing. Then the news conference will be held. So I guess we're going to see the event live.

The draft lottery, now a live event instead of the original idea of holding it behind closed doors, will be held around 4 p.m. EDT (TSN). Afterwards Bettman will then host another news conference.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130828

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I can't stand the idea of unveiling the picks 30-1 myself. It'd just be so anti-climactic.

Every ball drawn before the last one lessens the surprise of the winning team. I'd much rather see them go 1-30, personally.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
korkanu said:
I wrote an email to TSN.ca begging them to provide an online stream for those of us living overseas. If everyone overseas writes a message to them perhaps they'll consider doing it.

http://www.tsn.ca/website/email_form.asp?mailto=tech

Cool, let me know if you get any feedback. I wrote the NHL today about streaming NHL games, it would be cool to get it. Pay-TV sucks if you have to pay a whole lot just to watch a few games per month.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Spongebob said:
And #30 goes to .................the New York Rangers.........oooohhhhhh

Tough break. :biglaugh:

the chance of the Rangers picking 30th is 3/48 * 2/47 * 1/46 = .00005781

So at least they can look forward to that...

SenatorPhil

May 16, 2004
ArtG said:
the chance of the Rangers picking 30th is 3/48 * 2/47 * 1/46 = .00005781

So at least they can look forward to that...

there is no way that is correct. if the NHL chose the conduct the lottery from picks #30 up to #1 as opposed to #1 to #30 they would have to to give the CBJ, pitt, buffalo and the NYR each one ball and the single-balled teams 3 balls. that would give the NYR a 1 in 48 chance of picking last assuming that the picking odds would remain the same if the process was reversed.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Cup2Sens said:
there is no way that is correct. if the NHL chose the conduct the lottery from picks #30 up to #1 as opposed to #1 to #30 they would have to to give the CBJ, pitt, buffalo and the NYR each one ball and the single-balled teams 3 balls. that would give the NYR a 1 in 48 chance of picking last assuming that the picking odds would remain the same if the process was reversed.

They are not going to draw #30 to #1 just announce it that way. The only way the Rangers would get the last pick is if all 3 of their balls were last to be selected from the hopper. It would be highly unlikely for this to happen but it would be extremely funny if it did.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Cup2Sens said:
That's not correct, but your post is completely wrong. Read above in this very same thread and page.

You don't have to give the NYR, CBJ, BUF and PIT one ball to do it in reverse order.
And if you do it, it makes for 72 balls AND altered odds.
The NYR chances of picking last would not be 1/48.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad