News Article: TSN advanced stats (Howard/Kindl)

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
http://www.tsn.ca/yost-poster-boys-and-punching-bags-of-analytics-1.90956

According to this, Howard and Kindl are both playing above their perceived value. What do you guys think?

I remember Jimmy getting hung out to dry in a lot of games last season so I think he had a better performance than his basic stats would suggest.

I'm not so sure about Kindl, though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember Kindl getting a lot of very favourable match ups last season. That might be why his advanced stats look better.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Howard definitely got screwed last year. Same as Mrazek. You look at their stats and both their records are far too bad. I don't know aht it is but the team just didn't score as much in front of them.

Kindl? I dunno. He just didn't pass the eye test last year, stats be damned. He might be playing above his value, but that doesn't make him good.

Brandel*

Kindl's not actually on Yost's list, just on that expanded list of defencemen who meet the criteria he set when evaluating Tanev. Doesn't say anywhere that Kindl's value is above his perceived value. Kronwall is actually on that list as well, which is based off the past 3 years either way.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Howard definitely got screwed last year. Same as Mrazek. You look at their stats and both their records are far too bad. I don't know aht it is but the team just didn't score as much in front of them.

Kindl? I dunno. He just didn't pass the eye test last year, stats be damned. He might be playing above his value, but that doesn't make him good.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Kindl's not actually on Yost's list, just on that expanded list of defencemen who meet the criteria he set when evaluating Tanev. Doesn't say anywhere that Kindl's value is above his perceived value. Kronwall is actually on that list as well, which is based off the past 3 years either way.

Yost set certain parameters (Corsi% above 50, Goal% above 50, and at least 0.70 p/60). Kindl was one of the 27 dmen who made the cut.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
red wings as a team have identical corsi with kindl during that time period. kindl's stats are heavily driven by 12 season when he was playing behind lidström and shortened when he actually was playing well.

kindl is one of the rare guys on the list (only corvo fits too, on quick look) who plays sheltered mins and has been healthy scratch often and so on.

that goal% will also come down with larger sample size.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The article does not mention Kindl directly. Howard however has a specific section written just for him.

OP should edit to remove Kindl's name before we have a massive stats debate on Kindl which is NOT supported by the article. Thx.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The article does not mention Kindl directly. Howard however has a specific section written just for him.

OP should edit to remove Kindl's name before we have a massive stats debate on Kindl which is NOT supported by the article. Thx.

The OP specifically mentioned Kindl with regards to advanced stats that are in the article he posted.

The OP doesn't have to be "article reaction thread."

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The OP specifically mentioned Kindl with regards to advanced stats that are in the article he posted.

The OP doesn't have to be "article reaction thread."

I suppose.

The article states Tanev is good, and Kindl's 3 year stats are listed: All better than Tanev.

Suprised his numbers are so good, if we complain about him so much.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Kindl is awful. His possession statistics belie how poorly he plays on the ice. He is consistently matched up against the weakest opposition, yet he fails to produce, and often gets caught with his pants down in the defensive zone.

He was putrid in the first game against Chicago. Not encouraging. As someone else here mentioned, he seems more interested in his extracurricular activities than in actually doing his job.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
this is one example of where advanced stats do not tell the story. Kindl was/is an awful nhl caliber defensman

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Advanced stats is a joke in hockey. This ain't baseball.

Advanced stats are not a joke.

Corsi is one of the best predictors of team success that we have. Maybe not all advanced stats are as useful, but they definitely aren't jokes. +/- is a way bigger joke than any advanced stat.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Advanced stats is a joke in hockey. This ain't baseball.

I don't understand this mentality. They're truly useful tools when applied in the right context.

And most of them really aren't that "advanced", just derivations of stuff that we already track.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad