TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Has anyone in the media this season asked MB or money Mol$on about how they feel about no longer selling out??
all part of lowering the bar.

Apparently MB and Molson want fans to have the same patience, cut them the same slack, as well as the tapered expectations we would show for a brand new expansion team.

They require this every season.

(Thank you for holding, your call is very important to us)

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ok, Mike Green was also producing alot

Same thing for Souray, he started scoring goals at some point

How hard it is to understand, PK makes everyone better, he plays the hardest minutes and still produces. He takes all the negative media pressure away from his teamates.

When Pk is on your team the media covereage is on him, that allows the key players (ex pacioretty, pleckanec, Price) to focus on their job and not to worry about their perfomance on the ice.

Perfect example Pacioretty.
That guy was floating on the ice but the attention was still on PK. Once PK left Pacioretty’s game got worst and he couldn’t handle the pressure.

Weber is cool but the media interest is not there.
He’s super uninteresting.

That makes everyone else a potential target and i can guarantee you most hockey players don’t handle the negative pressure very well.
pressure and the burden of media coverage??? Importance of that blown right out of proportion.

The Canadiens were not good enough with or without PK Subban. Not PKs fault. Just the team has never been that good. They did not have anyone a management team capable of taking that a decent core and building it to a winner. Period.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was station-surfing this morning when I happened on Marinaro's show, just as he was moving to a new caller. Campbell was handling the phones, so he tells Marinaro that up next is a guy named "Jabbar".

Marinaro takes the call. "Jabbar, are you there? Jabbar?"

Caller comes on: My name is Jay. Jay Barr.

Marinaro: What?! Gay bar?

Caller: No, not gay bar but Jay Barr!

Marinaro's comedy routines still not up to snuff.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Talk about Sean Campbell, I heard his Rocket goal calls being used as replays during the morning show and they are an unmitigated disaster.

The guy sounds like the time he was singing Highway to Hell last year, during a 690 event. He screams his lungs out, with his voice breaking and becoming raspy, like someone who suffers a major injury. The internet is littered with minor league goal-calling broadcasters who grossly exaggerate their reactions and make your listening experience unpleasant.

Between Rick Moffat calling Limp Act goals with "scahhhhhhhhhhhhh" and Sean Campbell losing his head on every Rocket goal, I don't know -- I'd rather listen to neither.

Moffat does a better job with the Als and should stick to that. Just makes you appreciate even more how professional Dan Robertson is when he's calling Habs games.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sometimes a short quip can go a long way.

I laughed this morning on the 690 morning show when Shaun Starr blurted out, for no apparent reason, "Hey, free coffee!!!"

Anyone who listens to the station regularly, will readily recognize that the line was lifted from Simon Tsalikis's super annoying and meaningless ad for his Royal LePage business, that regularly pollutes the station's airwaves.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I was station-surfing this morning when I happened on Marinaro's show, just as he was moving to a new caller. Campbell was handling the phones, so he tells Marinaro that up next is a guy named "Jabbar".

Marinaro takes the call. "Jabbar, are you there? Jabbar?"

Caller comes on: My name is Jay. Jay Barr.

Marinaro: What?! Gay bar?

Caller: No, not gay bar but Jay Barr!

Marinaro's comedy routines still not up to snuff.

I am stunned TSN, let alone the CRTC didn’t have a talk about that with Marinaro. I get the joke but it wasn’t funny and certainly not something a “real” station or show would joke about.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am stunned TSN, let alone the CRTC didn’t have a talk about that with Marinaro. I get the joke but it wasn’t funny and certainly not something a “real” station or show would joke about.

Would a real station hire Marinaro? 690 is only a real station at 3:00 PM. And sometimes at 6:00 AM.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't know. You may be overreacting.

I agree the joke isn't funny like a lot of Tony's humour but he does have a substantial following, enough for the station to keep him on for how many years now? So I'd hazard a guess that many of his regulars would find that joke funny. Why? I couldn't tell you.

That's one point. The other is the CRTC? Really? What did he say that was offensive or unmentionable? Do you find the words "gay bar" offensive or unmentionable? If the caller's name sounded vaguely like strip bar or single bar would you find those offensive or unmentionable. It's not like he said anything disparaging about gays or gay bars.

I don't think there was anything to be reprimanded about that exchange except maybe for a poor sense of humour but we all know the CRTC does not regulate taste.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I agree the joke isn't funny like a lot of Tony's humour but he does have a substantial following, enough for the station to keep him on for how many years now? So I'd hazard a guess that many of his regulars would find that joke funny. Why? I couldn't tell you.

That's one point. The other is the CRTC? Really? What did he say that was offensive or unmentionable? Do you find the words "gay bar" offensive or unmentionable? If the caller's name sounded vaguely like strip bar or single bar would you find those offensive or unmentionable. It's not like he said anything disparaging about gays or gay bars.

I don't think there was anything to be reprimanded about that exchange except maybe for a poor sense of humour but we all know the CRTC does not regulate taste.[/QUOTE]

They certainly don't. There's enough evidence of that on TV.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I don't think there was anything to be reprimanded about that exchange except maybe for a poor sense of humour but we all know the CRTC does not regulate taste.

Fair enough. I get it’s his thing, so I can’t say I’m surprised or disappointed. I admit I make all kinds of tasteless jokes all the time, but I’m a nobody with no voice. I guess I just hold public figures, particularly those in mass media to higher standards. Obviously, given we’re talking about Marinaro, I should have known better.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Well I caved and tried to listen to 690 after 8 months, I made it 10 minutes. As soon as Nilan started with 'Listen' I was done. The collection of tools they have covering this hockey team is impressive. Its pretty bad when they all get more excited talking about the NFL than the NHL. Thats really all they know, especially Nilan. The game of hockey has passed him by years ago, he can't pronounce names, he has no idea who is on what line etc. But get him talking about the NFL, he has a dramatic turnaround.

Its funny the same advertisers are on the air, I bet they don't even pay any longer, they are just running with whatever they have on file at this point.

What a brutal station, I'll check back in another 8 months.

Oh and lol, Tony saying he has 'stuff' on Galchenyuk and he owed him an interview and he's 'pissed' he was denied a segment. What a fool.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Well boohoo... Tony is pissed at Chucky because he declined an interview request with him last week. Tony said he knows a lot of what went on behind the scenes with Chucky but kept his mouth shut because he was his ally and he protected him during his time as a Hab. Said he's now pissed because of the dissed interview request and he will no longer protect him, whatever that means, but I'm sure Chucky doesn't give a ****.

Chucky wasn't obligated to talk to him (which Nilan brought up after) and I'm sure he hasn't been the only person who has declined an interview request before so why lash out at Chucky like that? That was some pretty childish and unacceptable behavior from Marinaro there by saying that on air if you ask me.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Well boohoo... Tony is pissed at Chucky because he declined an interview request with him last week. Tony said he knows a lot of what went on behind the scenes with Chucky but kept his mouth shut because he was his ally and he protected him during his time as a Hab. Said he's now pissed because of the dissed interview request and he will no longer protect him, whatever that means, but I'm sure Chucky doesn't give a ****.

Chucky wasn't obligated to talk to him (which Nilan brought up after) and I'm sure he hasn't been the only person who has declined an interview request before so why lash out at Chucky like that? That was some pretty childish and unacceptable behavior from Marinaro there by saying that on air if you ask me.

That was cringworthy to listen to. Tony sulking, bringing up 'what he knows'. Yeah, I'm done for a long time

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well I caved and tried to listen to 690 after 8 months, I made it 10 minutes. As soon as Nilan started with 'Listen' I was done. The collection of tools they have covering this hockey team is impressive. Its pretty bad when they all get more excited talking about the NFL than the NHL. Thats really all they know, especially Nilan. The game of hockey has passed him by years ago, he can't pronounce names, he has no idea who is on what line etc. But get him talking about the NFL, he has a dramatic turnaround.

Its funny the same advertisers are on the air, I bet they don't even pay any longer, they are just running with whatever they have on file at this point.

What a brutal station, I'll check back in another 8 months.

Oh and lol, Tony saying he has 'stuff' on Galchenyuk and he owed him an interview and he's 'pissed' he was denied a segment. What a fool.

Their NFL coverage is rather uneven. Have you heard the NFL "expert" Moe Kahn on Nilan's show? He can't enunciate for beans. It's so irritating that I switch him off anytime he's on. I don't know what's worse -- this Mo Kahn guy's incomprehensible warbled sentences vs. listening to ads of Moffat's demented Impact goal calls.

Every station has its irritants. However, I'm not sure other stations hire so many rank amateurs and wannabes. Or maybe this is the new reality -- the better sports minds don't do radio anymore, they're doing podcasts, they're behind paywalls and other media.

Reactions: Pickles and Habs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Tony may be protecting some people on air (probably to curry favors and free food) however, from what I have heard, he's a sieve in person. He told a friend of mine on a chance encounter, a lot of what goes on behind the scenes and protected no one. If you're a public figure, you don't need Tony to "protect" you. You need to protect yourself from Tony by choosing to talk to better media people.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Forgot to mention one of the oddest comments I heard from Marinaro during yesterday's show.

He was reading a news item on air, when he came across the word "specious".

He was taken aback by it as he paused and then asked, "Is specious a word? Never heard of it. You know, I was born and in Ville Émard and grew up in Lasalle."

So just because he didn't have a conventional education, is he trying to say that those who hail from Ville Émard and Lasalle, are ... dumb by default? Talk about an ignorant thing to say.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Tony may be protecting some people on air (probably to curry favors and free food) however, from what I have heard, he's a sieve in person. He told a friend of mine on a chance encounter, a lot of what goes on behind the scenes and protected no one. If you're a public figure, you don't need Tony to "protect" you. You need to protect yourself from Tony by choosing to talk to better media people.
Media guys like this are dangerous...the way he carries himself, I would assume he has no friends. People like this are awful to be around...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Listening to 690 this morning, they’re discussing the Muzzin trade and the how the morning guys like the trade for Trana. Sean Starr then jumps in and wonders if the Habs should have made the trade for Muzzin and asks his co-hosts if they would have made the deal by offering a first, Jake Evans and Cale Fleury.

At this point, I was expecting Starr to say that he got his trade idea from AC. But, not a word. He made it sound as if he had come up with it all his own. What a hypocrite. Did he really think that no one would notice?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Talk about Sean Campbell, I heard his Rocket goal calls being used as replays during the morning show and they are an unmitigated disaster.

The guy sounds like the time he was singing Highway to Hell last year, during a 690 event. He screams his lungs out, with his voice breaking and becoming raspy, like someone who suffers a major injury. The internet is littered with minor league goal-calling broadcasters who grossly exaggerate their reactions and make your listening experience unpleasant.

Between Rick Moffat calling Limp Act goals with "scahhhhhhhhhhhhh" and Sean Campbell losing his head on every Rocket goal, I don't know -- I'd rather listen to neither.

Moffat does a better job with the Als and should stick to that. Just makes you appreciate even more how professional Dan Robertson is when he's calling Habs games.
Moffatt and Dean Brown are the worst I’ve ever heard......it’s just downright painful listening to them!!

Reactions: Runner77

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Listening to 690 this morning, they’re discussing the Muzzin trade and the how the morning guys like the trade for Trana. Sean Starr then jumps in and wonders if the Habs should have made the trade for Muzzin and asks his co-hosts if they would have made the deal by offering a first, Jake Evans and Cale Fleury.

At this point, I was expecting Starr to say that he got his trade idea from AC. But, not a word. He made it sound as if he had come up with it all his own. What a hypocrite. Did he really think that no one would notice?
Or maybe it was so out there that he thought it wasn't even worth referencing?

If you hate the station this badly, why do you even tune in?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Or maybe it was so out there that he thought it wasn't even worth referencing?

If you hate the station this badly, why do you even tune in?

The current argument has nothing to do with hating the station, I just don't have a tolerance for on air people who don't reference their sources.

The correlation wasn't so "out there", it's more an issue of proximity to Starr's comment. AC had offered what the Habs's version would look like, on a show that aired the evening before. It was so obvious that no one else had come up with it.

And then during another segment when they invite a 690 staffer to answer three questions, which took place about an hour later, Starr comes up with the same thing where one of the three questions is "should the Habs have traded their first, Evans and Fleury for Muzzin?" He had an opportunity to name his source right there, but didn't.

So I tune in now, and Melnick's show is also discussing the Muzzin deal. And idiot savant Gallo blurts out "you know, Carl Gundstrom who the Leafs gave up in the Muzzin deal, is the equivalent of Jake Evans." :laugh:

It's a basic tenet of any form of reporting, journalism, broadcasting, that a radio host name his sources and not take credit for something he has heard elsewhere.

I usually switch from 690 to 91.9 for my sports fix and I don't have XM radio. I've been meaning to listen to stations from other cities online but I haven't gotten around to it. A conventional radio is just more convenient when you're doing other stuff at the same time.

Reactions: Pickles

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
OK, this is funny. They've been playing a clip from Liam McGuire, the trivia and sports historian where he barks out "you're a jerk and an idiot!".

I've heard McGuire many times, the guy is a machine when it comes to memorizing obscure hockey facts. And he's lost it on the air many times, he has a quick temper.

690 replaying his insult soundbyte is a classic.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Don't usually listen to the Hot Topic but they had an interesting interview last weekend with Mathew Maione who sang Ho Hey at the KHL allstar game: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-6...ing-ho-hey-at-the-khl-all-star-game-1.1247794

The song is supposed to be on youtube, although I could not find it but it was very well done.

374da8f74a5f21635b01370de2296f10

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->