TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why is Molson going to such great lengths to protect him?

Ha, if we knew this ... do you have any idea what it would be worth? The sunk cost comes to mind. Getting shareholders on board to swallow the loss that firing Bergevin and his minions represents, is probably daunting.

And there may be some face-saving involved. This is where these guys deserve each other -- one couldn't wait to grant a lofty extension to his GM further to a failed assessment and the GM doing the same with handouts to his minions and to players he overvalues.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Absolutely! Nothing brings a group of people together like a common enemy. Bergevin is our Ozymandias, no relation to the poster. :sarcasm:

Oh, my. Ozy is just going to love this. :laugh:

That's a well-placed caveat, though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only on Halloween and maybe when I used to wear purple MC Hammer pants and my purple LA Lakers tracksuit backwards to school a la Kriss Kross. :cool:

Wow, that's shamelessly honest.

Please tell me you don't have any secret plans and you could be named Habs' PHO right now. Don't pack a lunch, attitudinal food provided on a transparent dish, daily.

durojean

May 29, 2007
I'd only be OK with another bad season as long as Bergevin is not the one at the helm by the end of it. It's not just a bad season, it's whatever moves made by manipulator Marc trying to salvage his job, that may compromise the team's future. And some of those may require years to overcome.

That is why I said, just don't move any young players. I predict a Pacioretty and a Galchenyuk trade this summer for something like Kreider and Coyle.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The original file I downloaded last night is 21.7MB and 15:48 long. The new file is 19.1MB and 13:58 long. I haven't listened to both to see what was edited out of the shorter new file.

I'd still like to know why it was deleted for a while and uploaded again a few hours later

Edit: It seems like only the end of the original audio clip was edited out after the MB interview was over but the entire original interview part is still intact it seems.

Just seems strange for them to remove it for a few hours and then put it up again but I guess there's a reason we may never find out but it's probably not a big deal anyway.

And so it begins ... SoundByteGate.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That is why I said, just don't move any young players. I predict a Pacioretty and a Galchenyuk trade this summer for something like Kreider and Coyle.

I'd like to see Kreider in the same dressing room as Price while Patrick Roy is named PHO to start next season.

Molson Shareholder: Geoff, we're going through the line items for this year's Habs' budget ...
Geoff: Yes?
Molson Shareholder: And we notice an added $100,000 cost for sundry furniture.
Geoff: We needed it.
Molson Shareholder: Sure, but it's not the type of furniture we usually buy. Are we on an austerity program?
Geoff: No, it's prop breakaway furniture and folding chairs. Patrick Roy likes to redecorate weekly.
Molson Shareholder: Oh ...
Geoff: And Price believes attitude will be an issue again this year.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
Frankly, I heard that and thought that it was only said to get him to come to their show and talk to the fans. That's all it was. Reassuring Bergie that he'd be okay with the fans.

And frankly, he'll always be fine. 'CAuse in the end, he can always say ''there are stuff that was done and was said that you don't know and that I can't divulge.''

I agree it was to reassure him he wouldn't get too much problems from callers, I just thought he laid it on thick. He could have said something like "Don't worry it won't be bad" or "We'll keep things under control". I just thought "You're so good at answering questions and expressing your thoughts" was a bit much... :laugh:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Ha, if we knew this ... do you have any idea what it would be worth? The sunk cost comes to mind. Getting shareholders on board to swallow the loss that firing Bergevin and his minions represents, is probably daunting.

And there may be some face-saving involved. This is where these guys deserve each other -- one couldn't wait to grant a lofty extension to his GM further to a failed assessment and the GM doing the same with handouts to his minions and to players he overvalues.
I just question why he is protecting him though? It's not like the rest of the world thinks we have a great team, why not just let him look bad and not be his babysitter?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Link is up on TSN...I mean the habs owner and management is dumb as f***, but let's be honest...TSN cares more about their revenue than the habs, they won't delete an interview like that one. Maybe they had to take it down for a bit for some reason but it seems unedited (still 13 mins long)

f***ing tinfoil hats

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree it was to reassure him he wouldn't get too much problems from callers, I just thought he laid it on thick. He could have said something like "Don't worry it won't be bad" or "We'll keep things under control". I just thought "You're so good at answering questions and expressing your thoughts" was a bit much... :laugh:

I had the same reaction. Nothing could be further from the truth. However, the guy is so full of himself that he actually gave himself a compliment in his response. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just question why he is protecting him though? It's not like the rest of the world thinks we have a great team, why not just let him look bad and not be his babysitter?

Face-saving has to be a big part of it. He gave the guy a lofty extension. Repudiating him without even having crossed the 50% mark on the contract, is an indictment of Molson, who has fashioned himself a hockey executive.

If Geoff would simply walk away from hockey ops and let a real hockey executive take over his responsibilities and become MB's direct overseer, maybe Geoff won't need to keep the charade going and getting his hands dirty, something he's clearly not very good at.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On another note...I don't think TSN should expect Bergevin back for any interviews with anyone after Mitch slaughtered him :laugh:

It was the closest MB is going to get in terms of honest raw questions and challenging his thinking. Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone else who can do the same in our market. Or perhaps, Habs PR Dept. will tread the waters more carefully when booking his next interview.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Face-saving has to be a big part of it. He gave the guy a lofty extension. Repudiating him without even having crossed the 50% mark on the contract, is an indictment of Molson, who has fashioned himself a hockey executive.

If Geoff would simply walk away from hockey ops and let a real hockey executive take over his responsibilities and become MB's direct overseer, maybe Geoff won't need to keep the charade going and getting his hands dirty, something he's clearly not very good at.

Every day that things remain as they are will probably end up making Molson look worse and drag the franchise deeper. He should fire him and deal with the embarrassment which I am sure would be overshadowed by the joy and relief expressed by the fan base. Go to every place that fans have a voice and the sentiment is the same, habs fans are incensed and ready for change, it is an embarrassment to both new and old fans like us and needs to end.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
I think Melnick is legitimately being held off the air for his Bergevin interview. He left a cryptic note on his Twitter

I honestly have zero respect for Geoff Molson. Cowardly, sycophantic beta male .

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Also are people on r/Habs mentally deficient or do they just have a ton of Habs employees posting there?
Molson/Bergevin would rather convinced the fans that they are doing a good job than actualy doing one, so i wont be surprised. HF Board is a unique and special place. I am glad i found it, i have learned so much here.

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

As long as things like face-saving are more important than winning, we won't get a well-run team and we certainly won't get one with any real degree of transparency. Molson could end the suffering today if he wanted to. All it would take would be for him to admit that he f'd up. Once he owned his mistake he could then correct it by firing the mistake. But if all he wants is to save face and not have to pay a guy not to work then we may as well check out until Bergy's contract expires because this crap is not going to end.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Molson isn't part of hockey Ops. Bergevin has no superior in hockey Ops. And plenty of successful teams operate that way too. The problem is more that Molson trusts Bergevin WAY to much, and less that there isn't a hockey ops president in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->