TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Funny you mention that. I remember one caller asked Marinaro why he didn't work for the habs as a scout and he said the HABS couldn't afford him. LOL! The guy that gets paid with pasta and track suits!
It's not for no reason that Marinaro does all that promotional work. He has a wife and kids (his wife has a full-time job, I'm sure) and what he makes as a radio personality is probably a pittance by itself because the profit margins for radio are minuscule at the best of times and English radio stations in Montreal have small audiences already. So he needs to be making money on the side just like Simon the realtor. Even Melnick has a side business in music promotion that he pimps for on his show.

Reactions: Pickles

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
The person I know isn't trying to turn this into a real gig. They already work a full time job during the week. I think they just like talking hockey and it's cool to be on the radio. But I do know that the station started asking them to be on more and more at one point and it was starting to be annoying given they got nothing out of it.
Macramela. or Lorne Rubin?

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
It's not for no reason that Marinaro does all that promotional work. He has a wife and kids (his wife has a full-time job, I'm sure) and what he makes as a radio personality is probably a pittance by itself because the profit margins for radio are minuscule at the best of times and English radio stations in Montreal have small audiences already. So he needs to be making money on the side just like Simon the realtor. Even Melnick has a side business in music promotion that he pimps for on his show.
Marinaro probably makes money off his mom's duplex rent, and the occasional TV spot (possibly for free). Just doesn't seem smart, or qualified to do anything.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Marinaro probably makes money off his mom's duplex rent, and the occasional TV spot (possibly for free). Just doesn't seem smart, or qualified to do anything.
It isn't about his smarts or his qualifications. He has 3 or 4 hours of airtime mostly to himself 5 days a week. That has value to people who want to spread the word about their businesses. He has influence simply because he's got a microphone in front of his face. We don't have that even though we are probably smarter than he is. He has the power of that radio signal and his name recognition as a radio personality. He's monetizing that for all it's worth, just like Tsalikis with the real estate, just like Melnick with the concert promotions, just like Moffatt with Lester's Deli.

Former CFLer Chris Burns, who is part of TSN Vancouver's BC Lions radio coverage, works full time as a realtor and the reason I know this isn't because I'm in the market for a house but because he never lets an opportunity pass him by without mentioning it and plugging it while he's supposed to be talking football. Ray Ferraro does radio hits on every TSN radio affiliate in the country but as a Vancouver resident he will also end his hit on the local airwaves by doing a plug for SierraSil Joint Formula pills. More than a couple of the jock talkers here get free car leases by shilling for local automobile dealers. They all need the extra money.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He's not highly educated but is very cunning. He managed to land a job that a lot of people dream about, even if it doesn't pay. And has had what, a 15 year run? Pretty good for a guy who shoves soccer down people's throats and who favors interviews with obscure individuals who might advance his kids's soccer careers.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I can always get my e-mails read on-air if I want, although it's been years since I bothered trying. All I had to do was appeal to the vanity of whoever was hosting at the moment. With Tony, I told him I was going to Paris and had the chance to see a PSG game and I asked him whether it was worth taking the time and expense to go since Ligue 1 isn't as high profile as the Premiership or Serie A. Naturally he read the e-mail on air and implored me to go because the caliber of play would still be miles ahead of anything I'd see in MLS. I was going to the game anyway but just wanted to see if I could get him to do it. And if the level of play was better than MLS the game itself was no less boring. I left at half time to avoid the post-game rioting.

With Melnick all I have to do is reference something from the 70's. Usually Melnick's millennial cohorts tee these gems up for me because their recollection of events which took place before they were born is woefully inaccurate. So I will either e-mail a correction on what they said or send in an anecdote referencing an obscure Habs, Alouettes or Expos (especially Expos) player or incident and he'll turn that into 5 minutes of good radio.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
As much as we ribbed or even dislike Tony at times he went to bat for Chucky in this segment. He echoed what many of us has been saying about this GM and organization.

I wish Tony would stuck up for PK in the same way though.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/marinaro-who-the-hell-scores-goals-on-this-team-1.1115781
I liked this from Tony and I want to reference what he said about selling an asset low. Why when the season was over which was basically November, why did they not go back to Chucky for the last 30-40 games of the season if for no other reason than to boost his trade value? There was nothing to lose!! Bergevin is the worst GM in hockey and he has proved it in so many ways but the handling of Galchenyuk and his trade are an all time low for Bergevin.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
I liked this from Tony and I want to reference what he said about selling an asset low. Why when the season was over which was basically November, why did they not go back to Chucky for the last 30-40 games of the season if for no other reason than to boost his trade value? There was nothing to lose!! Bergevin is the worst GM in hockey and he has proved it in so many ways but the handling of Galchenyuk and his trade are an all time low for Bergevin.
Exactly. I can't remember Bergevin ever selling an asset while the value was high.

I was listening to Bob McKenzie and he said that there will be a number of scoring wingers that will be available on July 1st who are better than Pacioretty. So he'll get less for Pacioretty if he is traded this weekend than what he would have got if he had traded him at last year's deadline.

Terrible asset management. I bet that if he traded Chucky at the draft the return would have been more. I'd bet anything on that.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Exactly. I can't remember Bergevin ever selling an asset while the value was high.

I was listening to Bob McKenzie and he said that there will be a number of scoring wingers that will be available on July 1st who are better than Pacioretty. So he'll get less for Pacioretty if he is traded this weekend than what he would have got if he had traded him at last year's deadline.

Terrible asset management. I bet that if he traded Chucky at the draft the return would have been more. I'd bet anything on that.

I was jumping up and down that he should have been traded at the deadline because of this very reason. 30 other teams assess what they have and it was plain stupid to think that there would not be plenty of players available in the summer, bad management again. The only reason I can think of for not trading him was to move Galchenyuk only and keep Pacioretty but this is a terrible move. Pacioretty is going to cost us 7-8 million per on his next deal and Galchenyuk was here for a little better than half of that and would of only been 26 yrs old at the end of his deal. Bergevin is now sitting on his hands with Pacioretty and trying to get the most for him because in my opinion he waited too long. If he keeps him till the TDL the return will be less because of the rental factor. I just don't understand the way this team is being run.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
And if MB takes a bad deal for Max at the deadline? Getting Domi in return for AG is looked as a bad deal. What if all MB was getting was Domi for Max or 2nd + prospect for Max.

Better wingers? Are we forgetting Max was top 5 scoring winger for like a 5 year period. The guy had 17G, 1 less than the guy we traded in 18 less games. He had 35 2 season's ago. I dont know why McKenzie would downplay Max like that. Giroux also had a bad season 2 years ago and everyone thought he was done. Look at him this year.

If a team was going to give MB a 1C or LD for Max he would of traded him. Can't roast the org for tradeing for less and then for not settling for less.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
I was jumping up and down that he should have been traded at the deadline because of this very reason. 30 other teams assess what they have and it was plain stupid to think that there would not be plenty of players available in the summer, bad management again. The only reason I can think of for not trading him was to move Galchenyuk only and keep Pacioretty but this is a terrible move. Pacioretty is going to cost us 7-8 million per on his next deal and Galchenyuk was here for a little better than half of that and would of only been 26 yrs old at the end of his deal. Bergevin is now sitting on his hands with Pacioretty and trying to get the most for him because in my opinion he waited too long. If he keeps him till the TDL the return will be less because of the rental factor. I just don't understand the way this team is being run.
Yep totally lost his window of opportunity to get max value (excuse the pun) for Max. Now if he does trade him it will be from a possition of weakness yet again. Signing Pacioretty is the worst possible decision so that's just what he's gonna do.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Things aren't going well for 91.9 Sports.

After Langevin leaving, it sounds like Lajoie might be on his way out.

La fin pour le 91.9 Sports?

Ciccone next to go join the future TVA Sports Radio..?

Lol most of the guys on 91.9 are just plain awful

I was already on the fence with those sports guys until some loud mouth radio member on that Chanel suggesting that Toronto could trade Mathews for Tavares or something like that. I immediately changed the Chanel after loling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->