TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Listened to Tsalikis yesterday argue (still) that trading a Franchise potential D-man (Sergachev) for a 2nd line winger (Drouin) was still a good deal. How come TSN hires people that have the intellectual capacity of a drunk at a bar talking trash on their station?

Probably all they can afford

They could hire like 80% of HF for next to nothing... we just want a microphone to send out our message of displeasure.

I'm sure we'd all get fired after 1 week of trashing Marc et al.

Wait, is it called trashing when its telling the truth and stating facts?

Reactions: jackeymoon

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
TSN spent too much money on Toronto with its overdrive on tv and podcasts actually listed by hour and broken up that other citys have no more time and money left :)

We just need to be thankful for Melnick

Reactions: Runner77

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Paid shill, defender, kiss-ass, however you want to call it.
What annoys me the most is that he NEVER talks about the game. It seems like his only goal as a reporter is to find who’s not liked in the locker room, who changes rock to country music or who spends his weekends doing threesomes with chicks picked up at night clubs.

He’s the Aeriel Helwani of hockey. It’s the lifestyle they’re after,not the sport.

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016
TSN spent too much money on Toronto with its overdrive on tv and podcasts actually listed by hour and broken up that other citys have no more time and money left :)

We just need to be thankful for Melnick

Ahmen my brother.... Melnick is the best habs TSN690 guy. He consistently calls people on the BS that Marc et al.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Listened to Tsalikis yesterday argue (still) that trading a Franchise potential D-man (Sergachev) for a 2nd line winger (Drouin) was still a good deal. How come TSN hires people that have the intellectual capacity of a drunk at a bar talking trash on their station?

I know someone who is a semi-regular contributor on TSN 690. Mostly on weekend shows with the "b-team".

It may shock you (or not) that they don't get paid. They don't get anything. Not even free tickets. It's 100% voluntary with promises of "maybe something in the future". I'm not talking about the big names, but the semi-regulars who are randomly on the pre-game show or something like that.

Pretty sure Tsalikis does it for free radio spots for his real estate business. That's his actual job.

The person I know is not doing this as an internship or anything like that either. They have no background in sports or anything like that. No journalism, no radio, nothing. They called in once as a fan and they later asked them to join the show.

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016
I know someone who is a semi-regular contributor on TSN 690. Mostly on weekend shows with the "b-team".

It may shock you (or not) that they don't get paid. They don't get anything. Not even free tickets. It's 100% voluntary with promises of "maybe something in the future". I'm not talking about the big names, but the semi-regulars who are randomly on the pre-game show or something like that.

Pretty sure Tsalikis does it for free radio spots for his real estate business. That's his actual job.

The person I know is not doing this as an internship or anything like that either. They have no background in sports or anything like that. No journalism, no radio, nothing. They called in once as a fan and they later asked them to join the show.

That is pretty interesting WD... I mean who wouldn't want to be a sports caster on something you are super passionate about. I mean I personally would love to go on air and debate with callers who think that MB is doing a good job ( Not very many left now). I suppose its a sort of dream job for many so the demand is high and the station can not pay them. If they dont like it, you get replaced.

I assume it would be the same as some of those other industries where you basically have to be an unpaid intern until you get enough exp. that you can get an entry level positions. The old "entry level "position with 3-5 years of actually working experience sort of job.

Thanks for sharing that bit of Info.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'd prefer Galchenyuk's dad to be on Melnick. What's Domi going to say? How his dad paved the way for him and how he wasn't valued in Zona?

Maybe they will have Galchenyuk's father on eventually. Would make for interesting radio if he spoke his mind regarding his son and the Habs. I'm still gonna listen to Daddy Domi though. He apparently rarely gives interviews so I'll listen to his take on the trade of his son and other things.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
So called "house" broadcasters aren't going to bite the hand that feeds. Lavoie may be working for TVA but his employment is conditional. The Habs have the final say on who gets to cover their games so while the broadcast crew may wear TVA blazers, they are actually paid by the Habs. And if they fall out of favor with the Habs they are gone. It doesn't matter what TVA thinks or wants. Therefore, people like Lavoie are merely "reporters". They are not "journalists" in any sense of the term. Going to broadcasting school doesn't make you a journalist. The people reading the news at 6pm aren't journalists either; they're news readers. Reading the news as written by a producer or editor isn't journalism. It's news reading. Just like the eye candy weather girl doesn't have to be a meteorologist in order to tell you what the 3 day forecast is going to be.

The fact is that you can make a valid case for a lot of the deals Bergevin has made. It may not gain you much traction among Habs fans who are at their wits end with anything Bergevin does and are therefore predisposed to hating everything associated with him, but Shea Weber is a good player. Jonathan Drouin is a good player. So is Max Domi. You can argue about whether they are as good or better or worse than the players they were traded for. It is debatable but it's also still defensible. We need to ease up on the hyperbole when it comes to Bergevin. Trading Subban for Weber is not comparable to when the Leafs traded us Russ Courtnall (a player with talent) for John Kordic (who had no talent to speak of) or when Hall of Fame goalie Patrick Roy was traded for a nobody named Jocelyn Thibault. Bergevin is getting decent players in return. He's just not getting the right players and is creating more holes to do it. His asset management is terrible but the assets themselves have value (at least until they start playing for the Habs, that is)

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

I knew who that article was written by before clicking the link. It's amusing to see how the Gazette has to play the game. Kelly is the guy who gets to write the really scorching articles. He probably doesn't actually spend much time at the Bell Centre during the season and doesn't need to interact with the team too much. Stu Cowan is allowed to write moderately critical articles but they can't be too bad. I remember when Molson jumped over him on Twitter for saying the Bell Centre was half empty for an exhibition game. Pat Hickey has to maintain contacts so he can be critical but respectfully so, and not too critical. Everyone seems to have a slot.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I knew who that article was written by before clicking the link. It's amusing to see how the Gazette has to play the game. Kelly is the guy who gets to write the really scorching articles. He probably doesn't actually spend much time at the Bell Centre during the season and doesn't need to interact with the team too much. Stu Cowan is allowed to write moderately critical articles but they can't be too bad. I remember when Molson jumped over him on Twitter for saying the Bell Centre was half empty for an exhibition game. Pat Hickey has to maintain contacts so he can be critical but respectfully so, and not too critical. Everyone seems to have a slot.

I like this post.

Reactions: Runner77

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Pierre McGuire saying he doesn't think Hoffman is a good fit with Barkov. Sees him with Trochek.

Panarin doesn't want to negotiate with CBJ. Talking about chances of signing here, Farber says possible anti-russian conspiracy. Julien has not had good track record with Russians. Could be why all the russians on the team have been traded. Scherbak it was nice knowing you!

Rick Tocchet is the one that helped Stamkos and got him training hard back when people were saying he wasn't even an NHL player. Funny because I've always compared Galchenyuk to Stamkos. Really excited to see what he could do with Chucky.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Pierre McGuire saying he doesn't think Hoffman is a good fit with Barkov. Sees him with Trochek.

Panarin doesn't want to negotiate with CBJ. Talking about chances of signing here, Farber says possible anti-russian conspiracy. Julien has not had good track record with Russians. Could be why all the russians on the team have been traded. Scherbak it was nice knowing you!

Pierre McGuire opinions ............... oh god

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tie Domi will be on with Melnick today @ 5:35.

He's going to plug the long distance phone company he represents ...

2cj2id.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tank Toad

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
That is pretty interesting WD... I mean who wouldn't want to be a sports caster on something you are super passionate about. I mean I personally would love to go on air and debate with callers who think that MB is doing a good job ( Not very many left now). I suppose its a sort of dream job for many so the demand is high and the station can not pay them. If they dont like it, you get replaced.

I assume it would be the same as some of those other industries where you basically have to be an unpaid intern until you get enough exp. that you can get an entry level positions. The old "entry level "position with 3-5 years of actually working experience sort of job.

Thanks for sharing that bit of Info.

The person I know isn't trying to turn this into a real gig. They already work a full time job during the week. I think they just like talking hockey and it's cool to be on the radio. But I do know that the station started asking them to be on more and more at one point and it was starting to be annoying given they got nothing out of it.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Looks like the Habs have Hickey doing damage control because this trade isn't going over very well for the Habs to me. Speculation and assumptions.

There were rumblings from the Galchenyuk camp about the way Alex was being used. There were questions about why he wasn’t at centre, why he was getting less ice time than other players.

This wasn't only coming from the Galchenyuk camp Pat. Everyone who knows anything about hockey at all and was watching the Habs wondered the same thing.

If nothing else, it will answer the question of whether Galchenyuk is a centre, because if he can’t cut it on the worst team in hockey, he won’t be able to blame it on Rick Tocchet.

And what if he goes to the "worst team in hockey" Pat and he shows he belongs at center and succeeds there. Will you then blame Habs management and coaches for failing to develop and play the guy there. Pat Hickey = Habs shill.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
How can any team develop a guy who won't listen to the people employed to develop him because he's too busy taking his orders from dear ol' Dad? When he and his father complained to his then-agent Igor Larianov about his usage under Therrien, Larianov was unsympathetic and they fired him. Clearly AG and/or his dad are not interested in any scenario which makes the player responsible for anything that happens to him. They just seem to think that they're entitled to things.

If AG wants to reach his full potential he needs to tell his father to back off and let the people who are paid to coach and mentor him do their jobs. As Toe Blake used to say, the minute you start taking advice from the fans (which is really all AG's dad is, when all is said and done) you'll be sitting among them soon afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad