trying to learn to skate + foot pain

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
I know when buying skates everyone has an idea of what they want and has them already picked out before trying a couple different brands but as stated earlier, try 3 or 4 different skates in your price range before buying. Get them heat molded as well.

I don't know if any of you ever heard of Bunga Pads; they're gel discs that are built into sock-like sleeves that cover problem areas for rubbing or lace bite. I have a pair and they work. I believe you can check em out at bungapads.com

Ducati1098VII

Nov 11, 2008
Another thing to check for those who are new to hockey is whether you're trying to grip the ice with your feet. I know it may sound weird, but it's very common for new players. Make a conscious effort to relax your feet and try to notice whenever they tense or curl up. Gripping with your feet will make them hurt right quick.

It's kind of funny, but true.

I think I have done this a few times. curled my toes when moving hmmm. Im going to try and conciously avoid curling my feet.

skydiverMN

Aug 27, 2013
gripping the ice with toes!

I'm a newer skater and I purchased last year's Easton Synergy EQ40 Sr., along with those comfy insoles. Being on clearance I got a great deal on them from my local hockey shop. They were professionally fitted and heat molded and I think they're very comfortable (i.e. no scraping, chafing, blisters, etc.), though I might be tying them too tight from what I've just read. After being on the ice for about 20 minutes the entire bottoms of my feet begin to hurt something fierce! From reading about the 'gripping the ice with your feet' I'm pretty sure I'm doing this. Nothing like flexing your feet constantly for 20+ minutes for one helluva cramp. So, seeing I'm sure this is my issue, how do you STOP it? :help:

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I'm a newer skater and I purchased last year's Easton Synergy EQ40 Sr., along with those comfy insoles. Being on clearance I got a great deal on them from my local hockey shop. They were professionally fitted and heat molded and I think they're very comfortable (i.e. no scraping, chafing, blisters, etc.), though I might be tying them too tight from what I've just read. After being on the ice for about 20 minutes the entire bottoms of my feet begin to hurt something fierce! From reading about the 'gripping the ice with your feet' I'm pretty sure I'm doing this. Nothing like flexing your feet constantly for 20+ minutes for one helluva cramp. So, seeing I'm sure this is my issue, how do you STOP it? :help:

I'm far from an expert but this is what I have found:
0. I used to grip the ice with my feet but then I got skates that fit. It doesn't happen any more. Are you sure your skates are fitted right?

1. I moved up to high end skates CCM+CL and I lace them quite loose where as I laced my old low level skates quite tightly. You can always lace them more loosely and see.

2. Even though I have learned to skate and am relatively proficient my feet still hurt when I begin every season. I find that I use my feet muscles (a little) when I skate as well. Maybe you need to strengthen your feet muscles?

pix530

Apr 19, 2013
From my personal experience pain can be caused at least from 3 different sources (I am not pain or even skates expert so this is my personal experience only):

1) New unbroken skates. For cheaper models such as X20 need time to break-in. For more expensive baking. Sometimes it might be pain within one skate only )

2) Not wide enough, For wide feet you need EE size, not D which is standard. I can use most expensive broken skates and still have pain while the wide doesnt suite well.

3) Not correctly laced. If too tight esp in the begining this can cause lack of blood circulation and cause pain. Typically pain will come not initially but with time during the skating.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Buy Graf skates, that problem will go away immediately. They are so comfortable and right now they have some good deals on the entry/intermediate level skates. Trust me on this.

I'm not going to say they are the answer for everyone, but pain is from a skate that doesn't fit properly IMO. Graf does have or at least had more fit profiles than any other company. The trick is finding the right skate as not all dealers are knowledgeable.

I skated all throughout college in severe pain. Micron Mega 10-90s in a B width which were too narrow. and horrible lace bite. Then Air 90s in a C width(just lace bite). I really didn't even have fun playing as I was in so much pain. I took 15 years off, tried a few skates, finally got into a Graf G3 narrow. Baked one time and I have not felt even the slightest pain ever. It's been unbelievable. Sometimes it means buying a few pair and selling them used for a huge loss before you find the right skate, but what is pain free skating worth to you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad