Tryamkin’s Top 125 2018 December Draft Rankings

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Brady Tkachuk should get more love in my opinion. He's a fantastic point producer and is in a tougher league than everyone ahead of him in this draft ranking besides hughes and dahlin. Also plays a mean two-way game. I would take him 4th oa
I wouldn’t. He’s only scored 2 goals the entire year and hasn’t looked very sharp. I wouldn’t call him a fantastic point producer by any means, and he’s a less skilled version of his brother if you ask me.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Really hoping Jackson Leppard can break into the top 100 but he really doesn’t have much around him for talent and I think it’s going to hurt his rankings in the end.

I can see he has the skill but I’d love to see what he could do with some more skilled line mates.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I wouldn’t. He’s only scored 2 goals the entire year and hasn’t looked very sharp. I wouldn’t call him a fantastic point producer by any means, and he’s a less skilled version of his brother if you ask me.

Well, he now has 4 goals at the college level and 14 points in 19 games at the college level for a u18. He's also got the best +/- on his team by a margin of 3 and he's on Boston. The compete rate is much higher there than the top junior leagues like the whl, qmjhl,ushl, and ohl. I think he plays with the same grit as his brother does too with a little less penalty minutes. I have to agree though that he might not be as good as his brother or at least not at the same pace his brother was.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He doubled his goal production this weekend (has 4 goals now). Wouldn't call his production elite though.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
To be honest, I think Brady could be better than his brother. I think Tkachuk's point numbers in juniors were a lot higher because he played with Matthews and Marner and Dvorak.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Really hoping Jackson Leppard can break into the top 100 but he really doesn’t have much around him for talent and I think it’s going to hurt his rankings in the end.

I can see he has the skill but I’d love to see what he could do with some more skilled line mates.
I like Leppard. He was on my list last months. He was a little lacklustre from what I’ve seen as of late, but I agree on the weaker linemates assessment.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
To be honest, I think Brady could be better than his brother. I think Tkachuk's point numbers in juniors were a lot higher because he played with Matthews and Marner and Dvorak.
I personally don’t see it from what I’ve seen, but I guess we will find out.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Well, he now has 4 goals at the college level and 14 points in 19 games at the college level for a u18. He's also got the best +/- on his team by a margin of 3 and he's on Boston. The compete rate is much higher there than the top junior leagues like the whl, qmjhl,ushl, and ohl. I think he plays with the same grit as his brother does too with a little less penalty minutes. I have to agree though that he might not be as good as his brother or at least not at the same pace his brother was.

Here’s the thing though, he isn’t a U18 player. He’s a U19 player and while I don’t think his production is bad but it does change the way you look at him.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Watching Swiss/Russia game. No Denisenko, must be suspended from head contact last game.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I like Leppard. He was on my list last months. He was a little lacklustre from what I’ve seen as of late, but I agree on the weaker linemates assessment.

I think he has the skill and size to be something effective. He’s pretty gritty too. More likely a middle six player or bottom six.

His stats won’t be sexy this season.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I think he has the skill and size to be something effective. He’s pretty gritty too. More likely a middle six player or bottom six.

His stats won’t be sexy this season.
No doubt, I’m not talking about his stats though, I’m talking about my viewings this month.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Maybe I’m just missing him but I’m surprised Cameron Hillis isn’t on your list?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Haven’t seen anything for him. Will watch.

Okay just wasn’t sure, I know he was a highly touted prospect coming out of Midget, didn’t report to Guelp last year but from what I’ve seen of him is having a good season there this year. He’s a guy I’d want to pick.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
McBain was an absolute horse in a 4-3 overtime loss vs Canada's West in an unreal game. Had a beautiful goal and assist. The team Canada East Defense once again were brutal with some absolutely houseleague giveaways (including the winner) Tychonic was good, but not really noticeable. This is what the scouts came to see. Great to see McBain raise his game. So strongbonnthe puck. Jett Alexander played well but let in one of the weirdest and weakest goals in WJAC history. Too bad someone had to lose. At least Canada won.....

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
McBain was an absolute horse in a 4-3 overtime loss vs Canada's West in an unreal game. Had a beautiful goal and assist. The team Canada East Defense once again were brutal with some absolutely houseleague giveaways (including the winner) Tychonic was good, but not really noticeable. This is what the scouts came to see. Great to see McBain raise his game. So strongbonnthe puck. Jett Alexander played well but let in one of the weirdest and weakest goals in WJAC history. Too bad someone had to lose. At least Canada won.....

I like McBain and he played well, but you also should mention his turnover that led to the game winning goal. I’d go with horse, not absolute horse.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Incorrect. He fumbled it but got it to the D who then flubbed it and passes it to Armour and Sentry him in in a breakaway. Anyway strong game

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
McBain looked like a force for Canada in a loss to a good Russian team in WJAC.
Team east D with 4 horrible give aways.
McBain played a strong game Dinesenko played very well for Russians. He looks like a top 10 pick, McBain looks top 15. A mix of Corey Perry and Ryan's Getzlaf. Dinesenko very quick and deceptive. Impressed by both.
Denisenko disappeared just like I thought. :sarcasm:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Brady has potential to be a much more physically imposing player. That being said where he falls will depend on whether teams feel he can score 30-40 or 20-30. I had him easily a Top 5 guy going into this year but this far his production is concerning and it’s the reason he’s drafted lower on lists. Still time for him to change minds. I haven’t written him off yet as a top 5 guy.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
McBain leads the WJAC in scoring with
2 goals and 5 assist in 4 games.
He had 3 today but the game sheet says 2.
Canada beats Swiss.
Denisenki has 1A with the Russians down 3-2 to Chcch late.
US Canada West tomorrow.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
I’m not talking about where he’s going to get picked though. I agree he won’t be a top 10 pick this year but in my rankings he’s a top 10 player. He’s likely a mid-to-late first selection. In 10 years time, which is what you’re trying to project, I think he’ll be a top 10 player from this class.

Really I could care less about where a guy is selected in comparison to my list, that’s what Bob McKenzie’s list is for, a projection of who the scouts think will be drafted where. My lists are about who I think will be better in their careers. The two things don’t correlate, hence why I have McBain in my top 10 but am aware that he won’t be drafted there.

I am curious as to why you think he will end up being a top ten player from this class when NHL Scouting and Hockey Prospects put him in second or third round. What is it that you see that convinces you that McBain is being under-valued?
His fall is hard not to notice as he is the biggest significant drop this month in top-end draft projections, is he not? Even more than Merkley and other guys who are under-performing. Edwards at Hockey Prospect says that all the NHL scouts are down on him...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->