True North in high-level negotiations for the TV package

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The national TV deal is already in place with the league, as I recall. I don't think it would change, although Winnipeg would certainly be added to the schedule. CBC and TSN both fall into that category, although I suppose it is possible for TSN to bid for regional rights given that they have in the past (See: Montreal Canadiens).

The negotiations would likely be with regional broadcasters. That could mean local channels, or far more likely, Rogers Sportsnet.

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
True North is currently in negotiations, to get a T.V deal. And it may be TSN or CBC Hockey Night In Canada.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/expect-lots-of-winnipeg-on-the-tube-124337109.html

First only 18 games were broadcast in 1996? What a joke. That's all the interest they could muster. It will not be Hockey Night In Canada, it says so in the article. They will have some games on HNIC obviously. It won't be national TSN. It will either be Rogers Sportsnet Regional or TSN Regional.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Both TSN and CBC are national broadcasters, although I believe the Canadiens have some regional TSN games. Somebody is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the national TV deal is already in place with the league. The negotiations would probably be between Sportsnet and maybe some local broadcast networks.

I think they still have to do negotiations with TSN and CBC. And with the local broadcast as well. I hope they have some games locally produced(by companies in Manitoba and Winnipeg). It will be interesting to see if Sportsnet makes a special channel like Sportsnet central for Winnipeg. I think these deals have be done by mid July.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
First only 18 games were broadcast in 1996? What a joke. That's all the interest they could muster. It will not be Hockey Night In Canada, it says so in the article. They will have some games on HNIC obviously. It won't be national TSN. It will either be Rogers Sportsnet Regional or TSN Regional.

I think they will get some games on national TSN and if they do really well (make it to the playoffs and make a deep run) they will get more coverage.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
True North is currently in negotiations, to get a T.V deal. And it may be TSN or CBC Hockey Night In Canada.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/expect-lots-of-winnipeg-on-the-tube-124337109.html

You misunderstood the article. It says after TSN and HNIC release their national schedule which will no doubt contain Winnipeg games, TNSE will then know how many games are left for local broadcasting rights.

When the NHL was last in Winnipeg local rights were on global television in Winnipeg. In today's era of different sportsnets and multiple TSN's the better chance will be that sportsnet or TSN bid on the local rights to broadcast games solely in the Winnipeg market.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You misunderstood the article. It says after TSN and HNIC release their national schedule which will no doubt contain Winnipeg games, TNSE will then know how many games are left for local broadcasting rights.

When the NHL was last in Winnipeg local rights were on global television in Winnipeg. In today's era of different sportsnets and multiple TSN's the better chance will be that sportsnet or TSN bid on the local rights to broadcast games solely in the Winnipeg market.

I read it again and it makes sense now. Yeah it was too early.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->