True North in high-level negotiations for the TV package

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by viper0220, Jun 22, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. viper0220

viper0220 Registered User

2. htpwn

htpwn Registered User

The national TV deal is already in place with the league, as I recall. I don't think it would change, although Winnipeg would certainly be added to the schedule. CBC and TSN both fall into that category, although I suppose it is possible for TSN to bid for regional rights given that they have in the past (See: Montreal Canadiens).

The negotiations would likely be with regional broadcasters. That could mean local channels, or far more likely, Rogers Sportsnet.

3. He Lied to Mario

He Lied to Mario Registered User

First only 18 games were broadcast in 1996? What a joke. That's all the interest they could muster. It will not be Hockey Night In Canada, it says so in the article. They will have some games on HNIC obviously. It won't be national TSN. It will either be Rogers Sportsnet Regional or TSN Regional.

4. viper0220

I think they still have to do negotiations with TSN and CBC. And with the local broadcast as well. I hope they have some games locally produced(by companies in Manitoba and Winnipeg). It will be interesting to see if Sportsnet makes a special channel like Sportsnet central for Winnipeg. I think these deals have be done by mid July.

5. viper0220

I think they will get some games on national TSN and if they do really well (make it to the playoffs and make a deep run) they will get more coverage.

6. cheswick

cheswick Non-registered User

You misunderstood the article. It says after TSN and HNIC release their national schedule which will no doubt contain Winnipeg games, TNSE will then know how many games are left for local broadcasting rights.

When the NHL was last in Winnipeg local rights were on global television in Winnipeg. In today's era of different sportsnets and multiple TSN's the better chance will be that sportsnet or TSN bid on the local rights to broadcast games solely in the Winnipeg market.

7. viper0220

I read it again and it makes sense now. Yeah it was too early.:laugh: