TV: True Detective (Part IV)

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I like the story/case component a lot, so where I land depends heavily on how things are tied up in episode 8. My hot take, if it is one, is that Ali and Dorff, as well as the other cast (esp. McNairy), are categorically better than anything else in the show, but it has been a while since I've rewatched season one, and in any case it doesn't seem fruitful to compare them.

I guess it could be an interesting conversation, depending on how you viewed the overall storytelling with the characters in season one. If the season three finale is a showstopper in this regard, I can see an argument for it being better overall, but the slow burn story hasn't been as thrilling as season one, and absent some real shockers in the finale, seems like it will stay that way.

I've read bits and pieces referencing the finale, such as what I was saying about Ali, and the following, which I'll put in spoiler tags (just in case) but for those interested in reading, isn't really anything specific at all, just comments about the finale in general from the Sackheim, and a brief one in reference to the image of Rust and Marty that Eliza showed Wayne last week:

He said that any connection with season one will "manifest itself" in the finale, and that it is only one part of the story. It's not a direct quote from him but apparently he alludes to a lot of twists and turns, so I'm wondering if that will mean relative to the broader conspiracy in this season, or just in terms of the characters' back story. I sort of think it will be about 95% the latter, but I'm not sure. The season has been extremely character driven, but we've had numerous flare ups of crooked spirals, and then we had that girl telling Amelia she should write her book about what happens to kids in the area... there's something more to it than Hoyt kidnapping Julie, but I don't know how much they can go into it.

Source is here: ‘True Detective’ Director on What That Season-Spanning Tie-In Means for the Season 3 Finale

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I see the people that have been endlessly theorizing about a giant conspiracy are freaking out on reddit right now. The twist this season was that it was a happy ending, and it really was all an accident like Hayes thought early in the case. Julie managed to escape her shit life and the circle of hell abused people often live in, marry her childhood crush, and have a family.

In the end all the people on the periphery of the case let it consume their life and often destroy it, but the object of the case in Julie moved on from it all and did something better with her life. Moral of the story really seems to be to let stuff go and not let it consume your life to the point of destroying yourself like so many of the characters did.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
It’s meta. When Amelia the author is talking about the ending, she talks about how stories worth telling should have beauty. Roland says solving the mystery doesn’t even give closure. So yeah there could be a conspiracy and lots more hurt kids, or you could have what’s basically a miracle.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
While I wasn't too thrilled with the ending, it was still an excellent season and True Detective lives on. I liked some of the subtleties of the finale, like when Hays and West were driving and their earlier selves were seen in the car as well. I also loved the scene with West and that stray in the parking lot. Ali, Dorff and Ejogo were all excellent throughout the season.

Since it's over I'll say the potential mole/co-conspirator might have been West. I wasn't really sold on it, but if there was anyone "on the inside" in a few of the instances, like when Harris James was killed, it would have had to be him.

Interesting that the night Ali wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor it was also the night of the season finale. Perhaps an Emmy for him next?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Overall, this season was dramatic improvement on season 2, but still pales in comparison to season 1.

The shared universe reveal in episode 6 felt really unnecessary and groan worthy, especially since they did nothing with it afterwards. Heck, if they had done it in a less in-your-face manner it might have been a fun Easter egg (like they did in one of the early episodes), but that's not how they chose to handle it. Further still, while season 2 played off many similar tropes and themes as season 1, season 3 almost felt like a season 1 paint-by-numbers at times. Case closed prematurely after a shoot out? Check. Suspect with more information killed by a partner? Check. One partner dragging his estranged partner back into the case many years later? Check. New investigators probing the original investigators and then sharing new info in interview rooms? Check. A meaningful cameo from a landscaper? Check. Etc etc etc. Season 3 certainly nailed the atmosphere and acting that made season 1 so compelling, and for that alone it's a worthwhile season of television. I wonder how I would feel about it if season 1 of True Detective never existed. But season 1 does exist, and season 3 wasn't shy about borrowing from its predecessor and alluding to it, so it's perfectly fair to draw the comparisons.

Outside of that, the pacing felt rather inconsistent. Certain mysteries and plot lines were allowed to slow burn for a prolonged period, while others (including some of the central ones to the plot) were rushed to conclusion. The finale episode, in particular, felt rather exposition-heavy and rushed. They literally had narrators explain not one, but two, different elements to the audience. I get this all ties into the unreliable narrator aspects of the show and, particularly, the theme of memory loss. But that didn't make it particularly satisfying. In some ways, it reminds me of the game Firewatch, with a lot of tension and mystery culminating with a rather mundane (albeit thematically appropriate) ending.

The acting, atmosphere, and music selections were all on-point.

Overall, I'd probably give it a B or B-.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Dorf and Ali were absolutely incredible. It's like they made the best out of an average story that kind of stalled mid way. When you look back, all of this stuff was there prior to the finale. It would be nice for Dorf's character got get some closure beyond what he knew.

I think Blender wrapped it up best in his post above with spoilers. That's good but not what people were hoping for.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The Hayes/Amelia dynamic was the weakest part of the season. I was satisfied enough with how the case went, but probably because I was convinced the boys death was accidental and that Hoyt (or someone else) had taken Julie as some sort of daughter (turns out it was a granddaughter) early on anyways.

It wasn't season 1, but nothing is going to top season 1. I also remember a lot of people being upset that season 1 didn't have them catching every single person involved in the conspiracy.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I really enjoyed the season. I have a couple complaints (how'd Amelia die?) but on a whole I really liked it. I'm not someone who spends a lot of time dissecting or reading every little thing, which seems to be where the complaints are coming from, from what I can gather.

Ali and Dorf were fantastic.

Reactions: Jovavic

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The finale didn't blow me away, BUT - I feel very satisfied with it.

I don't think Nic Pizzolatto is interested in giant conspiracy networks and shootouts - True Detective seems to be a "vehicle" for exploring how the real-world implications of an investigation affect those involved (the victims, the detectives, the community etc), and based on that, I think the finale did a pretty good job. I don't fully understand Wayne and Amelia's relationship - did they love eachother, did they use eachother, a bit of both?, but seeing how Wayne seemed to achieve closure in the show's final moments (at least, I think he did) after his borderline dangerous obsession with the case for 35 years, was immensely satisfying for me.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I really enjoyed the season. I have a couple complaints (how'd Amelia die?) but on a whole I really liked it. I'm not someone who spends a lot of time dissecting or reading every little thing, which seems to be where the complaints are coming from, from what I can gather.

Ali and Dorf were fantastic.

They never really said what happened to Amelia. How much did Hoyt actually know about what happened?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
He finally ended it well. Actors killed it and great character progression. My only complaint is what happened to the kids. That whole scenario was pretty sloppy imo. Yet, that's what it's pretty much all about and spent 5 one hours trying to figure out. So it's hard to rate it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
He finally ended it well. Actors killed it and great character progression. My only complaint is what happened to the kids. That whole scenario was pretty sloppy imo. Yet, that's what it's pretty much all about and spent 5 one hours trying to figure out. So it's hard to rate it.

One was raised by a psychotic woman in pretty pink prison. Also drugged on a regular basis. The other was accidentally killed? There was no one to blame by the time it was figured out.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
One was raised by a psychotic woman in pretty pink prison. Also drugged on a regular basis. The other was accidentally killed? There was no one to blame by the time it was figured out.

No, I get that. My issue is with the one eyed man. They asked around Hoyt and he said he lost his eye there on the line. Surely somebody would remember that or they should have checked incident reports at Hoyt. They went so in depth to pointless shit and didn't check that out?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Julie knew who she was at the end, right? They didn't just let the entire thing "die" without telling her did they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad