Speculation: Trouba to Boston for Krug (prospect and draft pick)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
All else being equal, I agree, you don't make that trade.

But if Trouba is 100% gone once he reaches UFA (and he has clearly told Chevy this), you might be forced into a sub-optimal deal for a package of other players who are more open to the idea of resigning long-term.

That I agree with and that may well happen but it is precisely why Krug doesn't fit. The center piece in the deal needs to fit better time wise. "IF" we are taking a slightly suboptimal deal at least we can offset that by getting more term to close the gap.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would just as soon keep Trouba through the arbitration years and try to win a cup over the next three years and deal with the fall out later. Things like that happen all the time in the NBA.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
That I agree with and that may well happen but it is precisely why Krug doesn't fit. The center piece in the deal needs to fit better time wise. "IF" we are taking a slightly suboptimal deal at least we can offset that by getting more term to close the gap.

I get your point. But it's a tall order. You're asking to find:
1. An extremely good D
2. Young enough to fit our core age group
3. With >3 years contract
4. That the team is willing to trade

I hope we find that, too. But what if we don't?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I was told in the summer by a few people that Trouba was traded. I still believe that he wants to be moved and have heard that he still wants out.

I want him signed though. Hopeful but I doubt it happens

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Just to clarify - I'm not singling anyone out here, but if someone thinks that Boston would not trade McAvoy for Trouba, they know sweet nothing about hockey.

McAvoy and Krug would get my attention. Together. Nothing less than that would.

unless there is another mcavoy in the boston system Charles mcavoy will never be offered up as the central piece coming back in a trouba trade with boston. never never ever.

edit: just as a side note it really bothers me when trouba keeps saying " that team" instead of "this team" when talking about the team. this tells me he doesn't want to be here.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
unless there is another mcavoy in the boston system Charles mcavoy will never be offered up as the central piece coming back in a trouba trade with boston. ever ever never.

Then they don't get him, easy as that.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I was told in the summer by a few people that Trouba was traded. I still believe that he wants to be moved and have heard that he still wants out.

Ideally we'd want a D back, but I don't see how we get anyone close to Trouba back (why would another team do that?).

That puts us in a bad place. We could move Trouba for a couple of assets, like a couple of D and picks and hope one or more turn out (like a Sanheim + type package). Or we could trade him for a elite forward type like a Drouin. Then our issue is that we need to replace Trouba, and the market has shown how hard it is to find those guys.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why don't we just rent Trouba for the next 3 years if it comes to it. I mean if he wants to leave at FA fine but I'd rather try to compete for a cup then take a down grade package that may or may not advance the team.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I get your point. But it's a tall order. You're asking to find:
1. An extremely good D
2. Young enough to fit our core age group
3. With >3 years contract
4. That the team is willing to trade

I hope we find that, too. But what if we don't?

It might be tough if we are limiting it to Jacob only but if we package more from our side it might become more doable.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
If he still wants out and has made it clear to Chevy that he is not willing to sign a long term deal under any circumstances, then I really hope Chevy takes advantage of the 2 other high profile young players who may also be potentially available in Hanifin and Drouin. I'm going to be unrealistic here for a minute, but a Trouba and Drouin swap and then going after Hanifin with Connor would be cool.

GoJetsGo204

Jan 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Playing an unrealistic scenario: Trouba for Drouin straight up

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Drouin-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Connor
Matthias-Copp-Armia

Dumpster fire on the back end.

Outscore teams video game style

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Keep Trouba. Trade Buff and Endstrom for Krug.

As respectfully as I can, you're not considering no movement clauses (NMC) or Boston's needs at all.

Buff has one for this year and next that is a full NMC. After next year it becomes a modified NMC with a defined set of teams he can be traded to.

Enstrom has a full NMC for the duration (one year remaining) of his contract. Additionally he's coming off arguably the worst year of his career (largely attributable to his family situation) so why would Boston want him at all? Krug is what, eight years younger and played better this year.

It's fun to play with hypothetical trades but they need to be realistic to some extent.
Buff probably doesn't fit their timeline or cap situation.
Enstrom is not a replacement for Krug even if he has a fabulous bounce back year, he's only on contract for a year.
Trouba may or may not want to stay in Winnipeg at all. Everyone here on this board (I'm sure there's an exception) and Jets management all want Trouba to sign an extension and play the next 7-10 years in Winnipeg. That's nice but the decision maker in the equation is Trouba.

Chevy might have the opportunity to still deal from a position of strength this summer as regards Trouba. A team that wants him that is a satisfactory market to Trouba offers up a set of assets we need/want. Trouba's value is high and he is signed for the next season plus has two years of RFA left. If I'm a team that wants Trouba I talk to him/his agent and find out if he likes where my team is at geographically and in terms of success. If he says yes, I'm moving assets for him. But that value declines with each year Trouba is in Winnipeg because of the uncertainty of retention and a loss in "cheaper" RFA years over time. Maybe we just keep Trouba for three years as a rental. I'm not sure it's the best asset use pattern available but maybe it's better than we can otherwise do.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As respectfully as I can, you're not considering no movement clauses (NMC) or Boston's needs at all.

Buff has one for this year and next that is a full NMC. After next year it becomes a modified NMC with a defined set of teams he can be traded to.

Enstrom has a full NMC for the duration (one year remaining) of his contract. Additionally he's coming off arguably the worst year of his career (largely attributable to his family situation) so why would Boston want him at all? Krug is what, eight years younger and played better this year.

It's fun to play with hypothetical trades but they need to be realistic to some extent.
Buff probably doesn't fit their timeline or cap situation.
Enstrom is not a replacement for Krug even if he has a fabulous bounce back year, he's only on contract for a year.
Trouba may or may not want to stay in Winnipeg at all. Everyone here on this board (I'm sure there's an exception) and Jets management all want Trouba to sign an extension and play the next 7-10 years in Winnipeg. That's nice but the decision maker in the equation is Trouba.

Chevy might have the opportunity to still deal from a position of strength this summer as regards Trouba. A team that wants him that is a satisfactory market to Trouba offers up a set of assets we need/want. Trouba's value is high and he is signed for the next season plus has two years of RFA left. If I'm a team that wants Trouba I talk to him/his agent and find out if he likes where my team is at geographically and in terms of success. If he says yes, I'm moving assets for him. But that value declines with each year Trouba is in Winnipeg because of the uncertainty of retention and a loss in "cheaper" RFA years over time. Maybe we just keep Trouba for three years as a rental. I'm not sure it's the best asset use pattern available but maybe it's better than we can otherwise do.

Teams aren't allowed to talk to Trouba and his agent without the permission of the Jets.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Why don't we just rent Trouba for the next 3 years if it comes to it. I mean if he wants to leave at FA fine but I'd rather try to compete for a cup then take a down grade package that may or may not advance the team.

That's all well and good if we plan to contend over the next three seasons.

If our plan is to keep pushing the window further ahead into the future, trade him now if he's not willing to sign long-term. His trade value isn't going to get much higher than it is right now.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Teams aren't allowed to talk to Trouba and his agent without the permission of the Jets.
No they are not he is under contract.
Edit. Reread your post you are right of coarse

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If our plan is to keep pushing the window further ahead into the future, trade him now if he's not willing to sign long-term. His trade value isn't going to get much higher than it is right now.

Sure, but given where we are at with our mix of youth and vets we really should be trying to contend asap.

I am quite frankly sick of years like the last 2 and would like to see some positive steps forward for this franchise. Trading perhaps are best player for lesser pieces just makes having some more down years all the more likely.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Yeah, understood. I guess I was inferring that if there is a deal to be had out there maybe Chevy would let the team talk to Trouba? Perhaps not but I suspect there are informal channels and teams might have talked to Trouba/agent during the holdout at the start of the season to get a feel for his interest. Perhaps not formally allowed either.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Interesting.

Assuming for a minute Jacob still might want out I wonder if it is a done deal or a strong push next season into the playoffs might help change his mind? Maybe or maybe not I guess.

Assuming for a second his play was similar next season I wonder how much his trade value would change over the next 14 months and no this is not rhetorical?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->