Injury Report: Trouba - returned from concussion 03/31

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
So I was very curious because everyone was speaking of this 7 day rule. The protocol NHL uses as a guideline is the Zurich II Consensus Statement. It involves a graded progression in physical activity through 6 stages. The statement recommends a minimum time frame of 24 hours before progressing to the next step so that the minimum time it would take to complete the protocol is 7 days. However both the Zurich statement and the NHL protocol stop short of mandating that minimum time frame. Most teams however have come to realize the dangers with concussions, so I think we will see a lot more teams follow that minimum time frame of 7 days. But come playoff time, when games really count, I wouldn't be surprised to see players come back quicker if they are 100%.

If I have to guess, this recommendation basically asks for about 24 hours for each step. Perhaps one step takes 22 and another 26 hours just because of scheduling.

Anyway, can you really claim to be following a protocol if you don’t follow recommendations?

SM17

Nov 25, 2005
I'm not asking about jumping steps. Repeating that and referring to steps that may, or may not have some flexibility in timing does not answer my question.

The bolded may be the answer to my question. Something was quoted, cut and pasted, in the conversation on this topic yesterday. If the bolded is correct then that was not the protocol in question. If it was then the bolded is incorrect. If the bolded is correct then the correct answer to my question is that it is not known conclusively to the public.

I said it a few times. The NHL has a protocol. It is understood to be a minimum of 7 days once you enter the protocol. Maurice has said more than once there is no jumping steps. Why would he lie?

They have not published the protocol for public consumption but there has been enough anecdotal references to it from this team and others around the league that I don't know why it is in question.

Just accept it

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/282574512/binary-file/file.pdf

There is the protocol for your reading pleasure. It is dated 2016-2017 but I didn't see any press releases that stated it had been updated. Enjoy!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/282574512/binary-file/file.pdf

There is the protocol for your reading pleasure. It is dated 2016-2017 but I didn't see any press releases that stated it had been updated. Enjoy!

So in other words 7 days is completely wrong. Nothing to do with 7 days or 7 steps. It's a minimum of 1 day.

From the document:
A Player who is diagnosed with a concussion shall not return to practice or a game on the same day that the event occurred, irrespective of how quickly his symptoms resolve.A Player may return to unrestricted play at a time later than the day the event occurred if the following three circumstances have occurred: (1) there is complete recovery of concussion-related symptoms at rest; (2) there is no emergence of concussion-related symptoms at exertion levels required for competitive play; and (3) the player has been judged by the Club’s Physician to have returned to his neurocognitive baseline following an evaluation by the Club consulting neuropsychologist.

There is no mandatory period of time that a Player must be withheld from play following a concussion, as the return to play decision is based on the individual circumstances of that Player.

Reactions: Jack722

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So in other words 7 days is completely wrong. Nothing to do with 7 days or 7 steps. It's a minimum of 1 day.

From the document:

Only if you add up all the steps Maurice said that a Jets player must go through to be cleared. Then you get to 7 days.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I'm talking about one team. The Winnipeg Jets. That's all that matters here.

No you weren't. "It is written in stone. The NHL has a protocol that all teams adhere to. I have heard this referenced numerous times around the league. It started after the player lawsuit." You were talking about the NHL official protocol. And you were wrong. I know you're the type who can't admit to being wrong, but you clearly were.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
No you weren't. "It is written in stone. The NHL has a protocol that all teams adhere to. I have heard this referenced numerous times around the league. It started after the player lawsuit." You were talking about the NHL official protocol. And you were wrong. I know you're the type who can't admit to being wrong, but you clearly were.

I agree that I wrote that.

But my post above about counting the steps was entirely about how Maurice has stated the Jets treat concussions. Sorry you don't see the difference.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Wow, getting answers here is like working for the government

So, Trouba may be a go in the Boston game?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeh I think they’ll be extra cautious. Even if he’s ready they may give him a couple more days.
I agree why rush him when he we have already locked down 2nd place. Have him fresher for the playoffs. I mean his side may argue that the Jets are sabotaging him so he can't get more points and more money elsewhere, but, really everyone already knows what we have in him already.

Reactions: Duke749 and SUX2BU

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada

From the document:
That is interesting that they say there is no minimum amount of time off. It is standard procedure for an athlete not to return to play that day when they have experienced concussion symptoms, which gets us the minimum one one day. But it is hard to meet condition 1 and 2 of the document you quoted in much less than 7 days. You can't go from no symptoms at rest to no symptoms at a level to play competitively over night. If you were to do that you are more likely to either re experience the symptoms or not know what type of stimulus causes the symptoms. A lack of clarity from the NHL in their concussion protocol

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeh I think they’ll be extra cautious. Even if he’s ready they may give him a couple more days.
Honestly, I doubt this for a couple of reasons:

1> He's already super rested from his high ankle sprain
2> He still needs to get up to peak game shape, and that will take a couple weeks of participating in the regular rhythm of an everyday player (practice, games, eating and sleeping regimes).
3> Even though he was diagnosed with a concussion, it's well documented that he hasn't had any symptoms (even next day). So, the cautiousness isn't after he's cleared to play. The cautiousness is the protocol he is in now.

Of course, if he has any setbacks in this current protocol that will probably change how cautious they are with him but at the current time, I think he slots in as soon as he has a symptom free full contact practice.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Honestly, I doubt this for a couple of reasons:

1> He's already super rested from his high ankle sprain
2> He still needs to get up to peak game shape, and that will take a couple weeks of participating in the regular rhythm of an everyday player (practice, games, eating and sleeping regimes).
3> Even though he was diagnosed with a concussion, it's well documented that he hasn't had any symptoms (even next day). So, the cautiousness isn't after he's cleared to play. The cautiousness is the protocol he is in now.

Of course, if he has any setbacks in this current protocol that will probably change how cautious they are with him but at the current time, I think he slots in as soon as he has a symptom free full contact practice.

I think we kinda agree on his likely timetable though. I did say “may” take a couple extra days. ;)

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad