Speculation: Trouba/Laine

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Trouba wants money $$$

After the 2017/18 season, he was asking for a $7 million salary in Arbitration, while the Jets were aiming to $4 million, a raise on his previous $3-million cap hit. They settled on $5.5M.

Last 3 years:

2016/17 - $2.5M
2017/18 - $3.5M
2018/19 - $5.5M
2019/20 - RFA
2020/21 - UFA

So it's not the team or location, it's simply money. WPG pays him, I believe he stays. Problem is their limited Cap Space.

This is textbook for everybody who goes to arbitration lol. Player asks for an absurd amount, the team absurdly low balls, and the arbitrator meets them in the middle.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Trouba has played top pairing minutes the last 2 seasons with a fantastic partner. He has had ample PP time despite the fact that he isn't really a good PP producer. He has barely played the left side in over 2 years.

This is nonsense.

Good laugh.

Everybody is a crap producer with Winnipeg's 2nd power-play forwards. :laugh:

Jets have never really tested him as a 1st PP producer, because they want to control his RFA caphit using Byfuglien as the 1st PP quarterback. Because it has been ideal, because Buff is signed for big bucks. But Trouba isn't any worse than him. It's just because it was favorable and smart to control caphits that way.

Now you are gonna lose the player on a losing trade, because he will want a fair change, which was never given.

This is all Suter-Weber 2.0. Equal guys, but other suffers because you have to favor the other.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Finished the year as a center, and I hate to break it to you, but you're not in the driver's seat when it comes to Trouba negotiations.
Sorry but the Jets are in the drivers’ seat here. They won’t be taking players they have no use for.

I know AA played center a bit. He’s just not good at it. Unless the Jets scouts think he can be a full time center, he has no value to us.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
This is textbook for everybody who goes to arbitration lol. Player asks for an absurd amount, the team absurdly low balls, and the arbitrator meets them in the middle.

I don't believe few teams would be interested unless a long-term deal is in place. Just doubtful he signs and expect him to reach UFA.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
You should watch more hockey to know things better.

Athanasiou was a center for the rest of the season. And team did do very much better on that period.
Yes, we know he played center. He just isn’t very good at it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Sorry but the Jets are in the drivers’ seat here. They won’t be taking players they have no use for.

I know AA played center a bit. He’s just not good at it. Unless the Jets scouts think he can be a full time center, he has no value to us.

K, you drive. We'll wait for him to hit UFA.

And AA was so horrible he put up 30 goals. :thumbu:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Lol Jets in the drivers seat, Chevy gonna get taken to the woodshed

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Finished the year as a center, and I hate to break it to you, but you're not in the driver's seat when it comes to Trouba negotiations.
Yeah you're probably right, I don't see any way the Jets are going to able to move a guy who doesn't have any trade protection, who plays one of the most valuable positions in hockey and who at age 25 is coming off a 50 point year

Reactions: Snowman and Heldig

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Good laugh.

Jets have never really tested him as a 1st PP producer, because they want to control his RFA caphit using Byfuglien as the 1st PP quarterback. Because it has been ideal, because Buff is signed for big bucks. But Trouba isn't any worse than him. It's just because it was favorable and smart to control caphits that way.

Now you are gonna lose the player on a losing trade, because he will want a fair change, which was never given.

This is all Suter-Weber 2.0. Equal guys, but other suffers because you have to favor the other.
So I guess you have amnesia or did you just conveniently ignore the half of the year Buff spent injured and Trouba spent bumbling on the top PP because it wasn't beneficial to your argument?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah you're probably right, I don't see any way the Jets are going to able to move a guy who doesn't have any trade protection, who plays one of the most valuable positions in hockey and who at age 25 is coming off a 50 point year

NTC isn't going to be the problem. The problem is gonna be your attitude of, "#6OA isn't enough" for the guy who is incredibly particular on where he's going to sign and for what value.

He doesn't need a NTC when he's one year away from UFA.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Good laugh.

lol, if you had watched any of the Jets this season you would have seen Trouba join PP1 while Buff was injured and saw the PP look a bunch worse.

This had nothing to do with controlling his RFA cap hit or because of Buff's contract. Buff is better than him at the PP, Buff is far better than him offensively. There was no reason to use him on PP1 unless Buff was injured.

Trouba is definitely better defensively and as such was used in more defensive situations. It's really not complicated.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
NTC isn't going to be the problem. The problem is gonna be your attitude of, "#6OA isn't enough" for the guy who is incredibly particular on where he's going to sign and for what value.

He doesn't need a NTC when he's one year away from UFA.
Just because a bunch of Hfboards nobodies repeat Trouba is 'incredibly particular' about where he goes a few hundred times doesn't mean that's actually true

Unless you can provide an actual source for your claim?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Just because a bunch of Hfboards nobodies repeat Trouba is 'incredibly particular' about where he goes a few hundred times doesn't mean that's actually true

Unless you can provide an actual source for your claim?

I dunno, do we want to go with the numerous short term contracts, the constant rumors from actual insiders, or his trade demand from a couple years ago? :laugh:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

:laugh: Jets are in the drivers seat? What if Trouba makes it known that he'll only sign long term with Detroit or Florida, Then Chevy has very little leverage there. When only two teams are bidding on his services. And any other team are just one year rentals. Winnipeg isn't in the drivers seat here. Trouba obviously is as he pretty much has a say where he winds up if he signs a long term extension because that list is probably pretty small.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
:laugh: Jets are in the drivers seat? What if Trouba makes it known that he'll only sign long term with Detroit or Florida, Then Chevy has very little leverage there. When only two teams are bidding on his services. And any other team are just one year rentals. Winnipeg isn't in the drivers seat here. Trouba obviously is as he pretty much has a say where he winds up if he signs a long term extension because that list is probably pretty small.
Well yeah if the hypothetical situation that you just made up but which doesn't exist in reality happened then the Jets wouldn't be in the drivers seat good point?

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal

Like a cab driver would be; waiting for the customer to set the destination and for the market to set the price.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Leave me out of the 6th OA pick debate.....but out of curiosity without the 6th OA pick what does the Wings have that would return a signed Trouba (bc he wouldn’t be traded as a rental & very unlikely he makes it to UFA unsigned).
Aside from the pick I can see the Jets being interested in AA, Cholowski, Hronek, Bowey, and Veleno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->