Proposal: Trouba for Bouchard

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Nope, not only am I not “thinking like a fan” but you made my point for me by never once addressing the issue of term in your attempt at a rebuttal. The “reality” that a GM deals in is that in a cap league young, cost-controlled talent is invaluable and while 1st round picks and/or good prospects may be traded for a short term rental nobody is trading elite young players or blue chip prospects for one. And despite your attempts at mocking me historical precedent says that I’m right about that.
Still thinking like a fan. GM's trade elite prospects fairly often at the deadline, because there is always a GM trying to hold onto his job that isn't too worried about 3 years down the road. Remember the Forsberg trade or many of Chiarelli's trades. Term matters, but NHL GM's don't think in silly terms like 2 year rentals. They know that if the problem is two years away they have plenty of time to work on it.

This particular trade won't happen because it doesn't make sense for either team. However, don't fool yourself into believing your dream that prospects are more valuable than established players. If a top pairing defenseman like Trouba was traded, depending on who the main piece of the trade is, you can guarantee that there would be a very good chance that a top prospect would be included.

As much as you want to believe it, prospects aren't the most valuable thing in the NHL, winning is, and an established, top pairing RHD helps you do that more than a prospect who is a couple of years away.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Trouba's never said anything on record like this. Had he Jet fans would be even more irate than they already are regarding his status.

I agree with everything else you stated though.
No but according to Darren Dreger when he talked to Trouba's agent Kurt Overhardt, Overhardt said that from Trouba's viewpoint that Canada wasn't an option for him. Something having to do with his father being in some kind of legal trouble and not aloud in Canada.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
No but according to Darren Dreger when he talked to Trouba's agent Kurt Overhardt, Overhardt said that from Trouba's viewpoint that Canada wasn't an option for him. Something having to do with his father being in some kind of legal trouble and not aloud in Canada.
Do you have a link? I heard KO and Trouba specifically refute the notion that Trouba wouldn't play in Canada.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Let me help you with Trouba facts again......

Disturbing new details of Jacob Trouba's trade demands could change everything.

“Beliefs & reports” are the keys words.....aka not confirmed.........aka rumours.

KO & Trouba stated no such thing as your stating otherwise you could produce a link to it.....which you can’t. You’re mixing up rumours & combining them. KO & Trouba actually stated the opposite of what your saying.....they stated Trouba has no issue playing in Canada. Now one can certainly speculate if what their saying is true or not that’s fair to speculate......but the facts are they stated playing in Canada is not an issue.

Reactions: Snowman

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Do you have a link? I heard KO and Trouba specifically refute the notion that Trouba wouldn't play in Canada.
RedWingsFan has made that claim like dozens of times but he’s never once posted a supporting claim. If Dreger said that why can’t he post it? It’s a mystery

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No reason for the Jets to panic and sell low. Bouchard is a good player however we'd be taking a risk as Bouchard may never become as good as Trouba. When you're a contending team you don't trade a top pairing defenseman for a hope.

the risk has to be weighed against the risk of Trouba just accepting his 6mil qualifying offer next year leading him right to UFA as a 25 year old

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Here’s all I could find about Trouba apparently not wanting to play in Canada.

Rumor Roundup: Trouba holdout not about money, but where he plays

Trouba rejecting offers from Canadian teams: report

“Dreger also said there’s “Canadian interest aimed at Winnipeg.” In other words, some unnamed Canadian teams could be pitching offers to the Jets for Trouba. However, Dreger claims the American-born rearguard doesn’t see a fit in Canada.”

Basically it boils down to who do you believe more. The NHL insider type guy or the agent looking out for his client.

(point of interest; I find it funny that the “Winnipeg Free Press” required me to fill out a paid subscription to read their news posts.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Go ahead and add injury time in. If we take off Trouba's holdout time and go with injuries only, Trouba would average say 65 games over the last two years. I think everyone would take a top pairing defenseman for 65 games over a decent, but nothing special #4. 11 times out of 10.

You, must be pretty disappointed with how your poll blew up in your face.

The one that has 180 people saying he’s not a 1 and has 25 saying he is a 1? That poll?

That’s the one you mean, right?

Reactions: Digitalbooya

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
sekera to LTIR gives the oilers nearly 10mil....
try again

Until Nurse signs and Sekera comes back. Then they just pray someone takes Lucic? Or they could pay using the assets they no longer have because they cleaned out the cupboards for Trouba.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
The 8 million comes from what he's asking for (whether that happens or not) not what the Oilers should throw at him.
Can you support this with a link to anywhere other than this website? As far as I'm aware, the only credible indication we have of his perception of his value is that he asked an arbitrator to award him $7 million. This suggests he believes his salary should fall under that mark. The Jets asked the arbitrator for a $4 million salary. They certainly believe he's worth more than that. Both parties come into this process knowing that the arbitrator will most likely split the difference, which is precisely what happened.

This website is an echo chamber. Someone exaggerated by saying $8m once in a thread, and the number got repeated enough that people just accepted it without asking for evidence. I follow the Jets fairly closely and I've never seen that number anywhere but here.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The one that has 180 people saying he’s not a 1 and has 25 saying he is a 1? That poll?

That’s the one you mean, right?
Exactly. The one where the majority agreed he is a top pairing defenseman as Jets fans have stated and proved and not a second pairing defenseman as you contended as viewed through your homer glasses. It obviously didn't work out the way you expected.:laugh::laugh:

Although, I do concede polls on this site mean virtually nothing. I just found it extremely funny that you actually thought that the majority would agree with you and rank him as second pairing and instead found that the majority agree with Jets fans by a landslide!

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Here’s all I could find about Trouba apparently not wanting to play in Canada.

Rumor Roundup: Trouba holdout not about money, but where he plays

Trouba rejecting offers from Canadian teams: report

“Dreger also said there’s “Canadian interest aimed at Winnipeg.” In other words, some unnamed Canadian teams could be pitching offers to the Jets for Trouba. However, Dreger claims the American-born rearguard doesn’t see a fit in Canada.”

Basically it boils down to who do you believe more. The NHL insider type guy or the agent looking out for his client.

(point of interest; I find it funny that the “Winnipeg Free Press” required me to fill out a paid subscription to read their news posts.)
Thanks this is what i was referring to, But i guess it was all just mere speculation on Dregers part, So i retract what i said and that Dreger is misinformed.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Let me help you with Trouba facts again......

Disturbing new details of Jacob Trouba's trade demands could change everything.

“Beliefs & reports” are the keys words.....aka not confirmed.........aka rumours.

KO & Trouba stated no such thing as your stating otherwise you could produce a link to it.....which you can’t. You’re mixing up rumours & combining them. KO & Trouba actually stated the opposite of what your saying.....they stated Trouba has no issue playing in Canada. Now one can certainly speculate if what their saying is true or not that’s fair to speculate......but the facts are they stated playing in Canada is not an issue.
:laugh: Okay then why did the Winnipeg Press say that Trouba is rejecting offers from Canadian clubs then. If Canada isn't an issue. Even the Winnipeg Press pretty much stated that Trouba wants no part of Canada. Edit it was Dreger that said that Canada wasn't a fit for Trouba no one else.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
:laugh: Okay then why did the Winnipeg Press say that Trouba is rejecting offers from Canadian clubs then. If Canada isn't an issue. Even the Winnipeg Press pretty much stated that Trouba wants no part of Canada. Edit it was Dreger that said that Canada wasn't a fit for Trouba no one else.

Free Press clearly stated they are reporting Dregers comments, which were not facts as stated previously.

Do you even read the links provided?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Can you support this with a link to anywhere other than this website? As far as I'm aware, the only credible indication we have of his perception of his value is that he asked an arbitrator to award him $7 million. This suggests he believes his salary should fall under that mark. The Jets asked the arbitrator for a $4 million salary. They certainly believe he's worth more than that. Both parties come into this process knowing that the arbitrator will most likely split the difference, which is precisely what happened.

This website is an echo chamber. Someone exaggerated by saying $8m once in a thread, and the number got repeated enough that people just accepted it without asking for evidence. I follow the Jets fairly closely and I've never seen that number anywhere but here.

NHL Prospects Watcher@Prospects_Watch
McKenzie on Jacob Trouba: “I’m not reporting it is an accurate number, I’m just saying, there is a lot of speculation he’s looking in the $8M per year range.” #NHLJets

McKenzie stated this on TSN radio, and on one of the TSN TV shows as well.

That's where this all started, whether it represents what they are asking, or not. The bigger issue is really, where he wants to play.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Free Press clearly stated they are reporting Dregers comments, which were not facts as stated previously.

Do you even read the links provided?
Of course i read the links provided, Means nothing according to Dreger he was quoting Overhardt about Canada not being an option. That was before Trouba was resigned. Of course once Trouba was resigned he'd be happy and rescind his trade offer he had no choice in the matter.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Of course i read the links provided, Means nothing according to Dreger he was quoting Overhardt about Canada not being an option. That was before Trouba was resigned. Of course once Trouba was resigned he'd be happy and rescind his trade offer he had no choice in the matter.

You’ve done this twice now, admitted you were wrong in one post then follow it up with another post saying more wrong information.

Show us all one single link confirming Overhardt said at any point Canada was not an option.....you won’t be able to bc he never stated any such thing. I’ve corrected you on this Trouba situation over the last two years at least a dozen times yet you keep posting wrong information.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Exactly. The one where the majority agreed he is a top pairing defenseman as Jets fans have stated and proved and not a second pairing defenseman as you contended as viewed through your homer glasses. It obviously didn't work out the way you expected.:laugh::laugh:

Although, I do concede polls on this site mean virtually nothing. I just found it extremely funny that you actually thought that the majority would agree with you and rank him as second pairing and instead found that the majority agree with Jets fans by a landslide!

The poll pretty much exactly proved my point - that no one on this site outside of Jets fans thinks he’s a #1.

I said he was a 2/3. Guess what? Looks like everyone else does too. I even went into more detail saying he’s probably 40-50 on my list of defencemen, a 2 on most teams, only being a three on very deep defences - but that wasn’t good enough for some of you, was it?

Someone’s got egg on their face with the poll results but it isn’t me.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The poll pretty much exactly proved my point - that no one on this site outside of Jets fans thinks he’s a #1.

I said he was a 2/3. Guess what? Looks like everyone else does too. I even went into more detail saying he’s probably 40-50 on my list of defencemen, a 2 on most teams, only being a three on very deep defences - but that wasn’t good enough for some of you, was it?

Someone’s got egg on their face with the poll results but it isn’t me.
86% of posters agreed that he is a #1 or #2 Dman but you want to claim people actually agreed with you? Lmao, too rich

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
86% of posters agreed that he is a #1 or #2 Dman but you want to claim people actually agreed with you? Lmao, too rich
He, along with me said Trouba is a 2/3. The poll clearly reinforces that seeing as how #2 and #3 got more votes, and how pretty much the only people voting #1 are Jets fans.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
He, along with me said Trouba is a 2/3. The poll clearly reinforces that seeing as how #2 and #3 got more votes, and how pretty much the only people voting #1 are Jets fans.
Hmmh who’s opinion do I value more, the people that actually watch a player play or people that form their opinions based on watching box scores?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad