trouba and sproul/dekyser

irishtemper

Jun 9, 2008
p.s. about dekyser i guess im wondering who could he be paired with in the future as i think outlett and sproul would be a good top 4 together?

I think it really depends on how they all develop and which ones turn out to be the best.

However, in a dream world where everything goes perfect and they all keep doing exceptionally well I would like a top 4 in ~5 years to look like:

Smith - Dekeyser
Sproul - Ouellet

Is Sproul LD or RD?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think it really depends on how they all develop and which ones turn out to be the best.

However, in a dream world where everything goes perfect and they all keep doing exceptionally well I would like a top 4 in ~5 years to look like:

Smith - Dekeyser
Sproul - Ouellet

Is Sproul LD or RD?

Sproul has been LD with another right-handed defenceman at Sault Ste Marie, but since the day he steps in Grand Rapids or Detroit, he will never see a game as a left defenceman after that day (power-play positions could be a different world). He will be RD, paired with left-handed LD.

What are strenghts and weaknesses of that Dekeyser-guy?

kerjuxaxaxa

Nov 11, 2011
London

Smith - Dekeyser
Sproul - Ouellet

Is Sproul LD or RD?

Do you think that Kronwall will decline into 3rd pairing D in 4-5 years?

It doesn't have to be a dreamworld. In case we don't sign Dekeyser and Ouellet or Sproul don't develop like we hope, guys like Backman, Jensen or Marchenko might surprise.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Sproul has been LD with another right-handed defenceman at Sault Ste Marie, but since the day he steps in Grand Rapids or Detroit, he will never see a game as a left defenceman after that day (power-play positions could be a different world). He will be RD, paired with left-handed LD.

Dekeyser is a pretty big kid that skates pretty well for his size, is solid defensively and can move the puck. He won't, however, generate a ton of offense and still needs to get stronger. He won't ever be a top pair guy but he could certainly be useful.

CloneHakanPlease*

Dekeyser is a pretty big kid that skates pretty well for his size, is solid defensively and can move the puck. He won't, however, generate a ton of offense and still needs to get stronger. He won't ever be a top pair guy but he could certainly be useful.

Dekeyer reminds me of a Reghyr/Less Physical Brad Stuart light.

Good for the 2nd pairing and 1st pk on a contender, but not a top paring guy.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

DeKeyser has drawn comparisons to Brad Stuart and Francois Beauchemin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Do you think that Kronwall will decline into 3rd pairing D in 4-5 years?

It doesn't have to be a dreamworld. In case we don't sign Dekeyser and Ouellet or Sproul don't develop like we hope, guys like Backman, Jensen or Marchenko might surprise.

Well, he'll be 37 in 5 years and I don't see his game aging nearly as gracefully as Lidstrom's, so if we sign a top 2 guy in the next few seasons and even a few of our young guys develop as hoped, Kronner's looking at 3rd pairing duty and PP time. Well, he'll have 3rd pairing game at that point, but there's no telling where the coaching staff will play him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought Trouba should go in the top 5, he was my favorite D-man after Murray heading into the draft last year. He is backing it up even more. No matter what he will be a solid stay at home type even if the offense never comes to a big level he will be Brad Stuart and I mean when Stuart is on the top of his game.

With that said I will say Sproul has the best ceiling. People might disagree with that, but Sproul's physical gifts are things you just don't teach. They are awesome, there is a reason although it is extremely unlikely that Sproul can be dreamed about becoming Weber. Will it happen? Probably not, but he might be Brent Burns even if his D never gets to a huge level. His feel for the offensive end along with his size, shot, passing and skating is just tough to stop. Trouba is a polished guy and absolutely the odds are he is the better player, but should both reach their ceilings, I think Sproul will slightly edge him. They would be all-stars in that event, Olympian level players. I just think Sproul's offensive gifts are unlikely to be something Trouba can achieve. It is easier to learn defense than add another couple gears in skating and the booming shot.

DeKeyser is a pure stay at home type at that level. He will probably be better than Lashoff, he skates better and is a better passer. He also has the appearance to be very physical whenever I have seen him at WMU. We will see what his pro game does, but he might be a #4 at some point, maybe he really hits a homerun as the stay at home anchor on a pair. But he is a bottom half guy for me, his ceiling would be a Orpik or Gleason type, but he needs put on the weight and do some things. I am rooting for the local kid and I hope he signs, but Sproul, Backman, Ouellet, Marchenko and even Jensen have more longterm potential in my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2012
Sproul has the greatest potential of any Wings player in the organization. He obviously will probably never reach his max potential but if he were he could be a Norris contender. I wouldn't be surprised if he is our #1 prospect by next year depending on his translation to pro hockey (yes even over Jarnkrok).

I'm rooting for Trouba since he came out of Rochester Adams High School, about 20 minutes from where I live. He was a beast at the WJC and has all the tools to be an elite defenseman.

Not sure about Dekeyser. Is it basically a done deal that he signs with the Wings? I've only watched one Western Michigan game all year.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Dekeyser will be a red wing this year or next. Talking to a former teammate, he's being pretty secretive about the whole thing. He watches the Red Wings and roots for them still I can tell you that.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Also mostly everything posted is true, except he does have hidden offensive talent, will he find it is the question. He's no Justin Schultz, but he can be a future #3 who plays a quiet game.

Frozen Fiend

DOUBLE D
Oct 22, 2007
Kalamazoo
I'm a senior at WMU and have watched DD play about 15 games. We love him here (obviously), and I hope to hell that he signs with the Wings. He is an incredibly solid defensemen at the NCAA level, and I think he has the potential to translate that to the NHL, but the jury is still out.

Watching him beat up teams like Michigan, Michigan State and others the last couple years has been so much fun.

Edit: also, I don't know if this means anything, but Mike Babcock was in Kalamazoo last Friday watching the Notre Dame game. What's mildly more interesting is the Red Wings were playing on Thursday and Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->