Post-Game Talk: Trotz schools babcock AGAIN leafs shutout at home 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I don't remember the Red Wings using a lot of stretch passes when Babcock was there. I mean, I didn't watch them a lot, but I kind of remember them being a puck-support and short passes kind of team.

I actually think Babcock is letting DJ Smith do too much.

If youre right. Hes gotta go.

I always felt like it was a systems thing too. Teams like Ottawa and Blues, have the passing down to an art, but then the talent is lacking so they dont score, or have other teams superstars takeover the game.

Thats us most nights, we just out talent Teams... When a team has a good night and has our system figured out, it gets ugly and quick.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Hard cap is a joke. The league is also way to thin, too many teams on life support, stealing Canadian Hockey fans monies and redistributing that wealth. Anyone ever wonder why Toronto has no problem taking on terrible contracts etc? We don't care because it just comes out of profits that would otherwise be sent to Arizona etc. Hilarious stuff and I hate it. This league would be even more competitive with 26 teams.
It gets better or worse, depending on how you look at things
You don't want to hear this but Gerry Betman is doing a very, very good job keeping marginal teams above water the NHL has never had it so good or so it seems
Canada is not a hockey nation - No! No! No! Canada is very different, it is a Stanley Cup loving NHL nation -and so we will take whatever bad deal or crumbs from the NHL with joy- with an occasional Olympic fling
You try selling hockey south of the Mason Dixon line, in NASCAR country: Somewhere between high school sports and cockfighting lit up with car high beams
Toronto will get a second NHL team to get money to redistribute to American teams when the NHL needs to put the money hemorrhaging San Diego Ooppses or the Houston Not Footballers in Toronto for a billion dollar relocation fee.

Last edited:

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I don't remember the Red Wings using a lot of stretch passes when Babcock was there. I mean, I didn't watch them a lot, but I kind of remember them being a puck-support and short passes kind of team.

I actually think Babcock is letting DJ Smith do too much.

Yeah, maybe that's true. I don't have a great memory and didn't watch the Wings a lot. But teams are taking away the stretch pass, and it hasn't been that successful.

DJ Smith was great with the Gens, but who knows.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It gets better or worse, depending on how you look at things
You don't want to hear this but Gerry Betman is doing a very, very good job keeping marginal teams above water the NHL has never had it so good or so it seems
Canada is not a hockey nation - No! No! No! Canada is very different, it is a Stanley Cup loving NHL nation -and so we will take whatever bad deal or crumbs from the NHL with joy- with an occasional Olympic fling
You try selling hockey south of the Mason Dixon line, in NASCAR country: Somewhere between high school sports and cockfighting lit up with car high beams
Toronto will get a second NHL team to get money to redistribute to American teams when the NHL needs to put the money hemorrhaging San Diego Ooppses or the Houston Not Footballers in Toronto for a billion dollar relocation fee.

The only way to make sports work anywhere is to get the local youth playing the sport. It's how it works. Sending 250m or whatever it is to the southern states, so they can have an NHL team while there is no Minor league infrastructure, is a joke. Anyone with half a brain or half the grammatical skills of me knows it.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
Yeah, maybe that's true. I don't have a great memory and didn't watch the Wings a lot. But teams are taking away the stretch pass, and it hasn't been that successful.

What you do to beat the Leafs is clog the neutral zone and skate at -not with - the Leafs
You got to get on the Leafs right away before they get their wheels going and make sure nothing for the Leafs flows
Take away the stretch pass, take away the space to turn on the jets, pin the Leafs in their own end, those are the other teams beliefs
Other teams cannot skate with the Leafs and they know that, so the name of the game is "slows"

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

DJ Snith should be first out the door should the Leafs have another disappointing postseason.

AreBe

Apr 1, 2013
The only way to make sports work anywhere is to get the local youth playing the sport. It's how it works. Sending 250m or whatever it is to the southern states, so they can have an NHL team while there is no Minor league infrastructure, is a joke. Anyone with half a brain or half the grammatical skills of me knows it.
I find your comment so agreeable that I can tell you are very smart
The NHL is in a bind because they on the one hand must be on ESPN to be on the consciousness of the market and ESPN knows it and on on the other they must take $10 from Ugatzo Home Sports to pay for their s*it
The NHL needs a fat TV deal and so needs a footprint but San Diego and San Antonio and they well get an expansion team before Canada and they just do not care and to recognize that would be a start
The odd bit is that the demand for NHL hockey (and not all hockey) is insatiable in the GTA and so we will like idiots pony up $1 Billion to relocate damaged goods team here so we can pay an extra premium to watch our cultural icons, our NHL players, pay a tax to the NHL revenue redistribution, and play here and not some sunbelt money pit

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Put Nylander with Tavares if you want to get him going. He'll respect Tavares too much to not use every ounce of air in his lungs every shift.

Matthews needs a fire lit. Let Marner feed him for a bit.
Should try every few shifts:

Nylander - Matthews - Marner
Mango - Tavares - Kapenen

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

Truest words ever.

Anyone else doubt that Betmann and Refs have a favoring of US teams to pursue this expansion into the american psyche LOL.

Its Billions if not hundreds of Millions dollars being invested on the inkling of some net profit. Ofcourse the leafs can get some crappy calls, the seats are sold out for the next 5 years ffs.

People have killed family members for wayyyyyyyy less..

Betmann will continue to bribe refs and funnell money from Ontario and Canada to fund his new Southern USA NHL Team.

The New Guadelaraja Bandits coming 2027 paid for by Toronto Maple Leafs getting No calls but breathe on another player. Whistle.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I don't think the stretch pass is the problem, sure it's "easy" to defend, but the thing is that the other team has to give up a lot of offensive pressure to do so. The Isles shut down our offense, but it's not like they dominated the play, they benefit from lucky bounces / bad goaltending.

When teams play defensively against us like that, the outcome depends more on goaltending and luck than in high event games, but in the long run the Leafs should still win a pretty good percentage of these games. I have no doubt we'd win a 7 game series against the NYI as long as we had Andersen.

Also, other systems are arguably even more easy to defend than the stretch pass, and not necessarily well-suited to the talent we have. I'm not sure we want this team playing a system where they move the puck up the ice slowly as a 5 man unit and try to grind out chances in the offensive zone. That doesn't favor our speed and skill, it significantly increases the likelihood of injuries, and might hurt us defensively.

The stretch pass is as much a defensive system as it is an offensive one, since it makes it hard for the other team to get odd man rushes, and forces them to dump it in more and take more low percentage shots.

It does feel like Babcock should be able to get more from this group though, we seem to have games like this where we come out flat a little too often.

Reactions: cookie and Gallagbi

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Out coached, outworked, out goalied.

Egocock still kept relying on long stretch breakout passes even when the other team was clearly traping hard and breaking up the plays instantly at the neutral zone. Ego wont let him change depending what other team is doing. Greatest coach in the history BTW...overated bum that can only win cups with stacked god mode teams bc loves to play plugs top mins.
Osgood not Osgod.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
why are you so mad?

Mad? Nope not in the least.
Disgusted by the actions and posts of fans who will sink to the lowest depths possible because the leafs didn't play as good as they wanted.

People here act like the parade is planned after a win or two but should they actually loose...

*Egocuck
*Bitching about Dubas
*Our D sucks
*Our Offense sucks
*Our goalie sucks
*On paper we should have won wtf
*Willie & Kadri should be traded
*I know better then the professionals
*Fire the coach of a 2nd place overall team and replace him with an aging out of touch coach just to screw things up properly...

Did I miss anything?

It's like posters here are incapable of believing that the Leafs are not exempt from the age old saying....that's why the games are played.

Not to mention the concept of loosing with dignity.

Last edited:

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit

They didn't use the breakout pass much, they did use the lob to clear and pray for a breakaway from time-to-time. For the most part though it was short passes and skate it out.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Mad? Nope not in the least.
Disgusted by the actions and posts of fans who will sink to the lowest depths possible because the leafs didn't play as good as they wanted.

People here act like the parade is planned after a win or two but should they actually loose...

*Egocuck
******ing about Dubas
*Our D sucks
*Our Offense sucks
*Our goalie sucks
*On paper we should have won wtf
*Willie & Kadri should be traded
*I know better then the professionals
*Fire the coach of a 2nd place overall team and replace him with an aging out of touch coach just to screw things up properly...

Did I miss anything?

It's like posters here are incapable of believing that the Leafs are exempt from the age old saying....that's why the games are played.

Not to mention the concept of loosing with dignity.

why did you use asterisks instead of bullet points?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
DJ Snith should be first out the door should the Leafs have another disappointing postseason.

You’re really going to blame DJ Smith for our defensive core? Pretty sure he didn’t sign Zaitsev to that brutal contract and also he did build this d-core.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
They didn't use the breakout pass much, they did use the lob to clear and pray for a breakaway from time-to-time. For the most part though it was short passes and skate it out.

Which further proves that Babcock is dictating the breakouts, not DJ smith. All DJ Smith really does is call out which D is going out next and provides them with feedback and positional assistance. He isn’t in control of the breakout system.

Reactions: Gallagbi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->