Trivia question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
BruinStuckInTheEye said:
We all know the Flyers were the first team to wear long pants as part of their uniform. Can you name the other team that did so before the NHL banned them?

The Hartford Whalers

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I can't remember the logic why they were banned other than only two teams were using them?

They looked cool. (link)

Last edited:

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Chili said:
I can't remember the logic why they were banned other than only two teams were using them?

They looked cool. (link)

From same website:
For the 1981-82 season, the Philadelphia Flyers introduced the decade's most radical idea -- long pants, as modeled here by Brian Propp. The idea behind the new pants, manufactured by Cooper under the name Cooperall, was to create a faster, lighter uniform, with lighter padding underneath. The pants did make the skaters faster; unfortunately, they were also faster whenever they took a spill and would crash very hard into the boards. The Hartford Whalers joined the Flyers in wearing long pants the following season. At the end of the 1982-83 season, the NHL outlawed the long pants, causing both the Flyers and the Whalers to revert back to the old faithful, time-tested short pants.

Makes it sound like pants made players slide across the ice faster than the shorts did. I guess but it seems like you'd be sliding on the same part no matter what you were wearing.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Those HAD to be the ugliest things ever in hockey! It made NHL players look like beer-leaguers in sweats! Of course, it didn't help that the 2 teams that used them had a couple of the ugliest jerseys ever, too! :D

A couple of the high school teams in my area wore them for 2 or 3 years, and the players I talked to said they were REALLY hot compared to traditional hockey pants (or "breezers"), and they were glad to be rid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad