Trip to Canada for game and Aurora borealis

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
On the bucket list is going to see the Aurora borealis so might as well hit a game in Calgary or Edmonton. CME's (Coronal mass ejections) are tracked through spaceweather.com so making a spur of the moment trip with high probability of seeing the Aurora isn't a complete shot in the dark.

Has anyone made a winter flight to either of these locations? I'm originally from Atlanta so Flames would be my first choice. I have not been to Canada in decades (saw the Calgary Stampede) and it was far easier to travel in 1970 than in 2016.

I know that I need a flexible airline (not ground) passport but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
On the bucket list is going to see the Aurora borealis so might as well hit a game in Calgary or Edmonton. CME's (Coronal mass ejections) are tracked through spaceweather.com so making a spur of the moment trip with high probability of seeing the Aurora isn't a complete shot in the dark.

Has anyone made a winter flight to either of these locations? I'm originally from Atlanta so Flames would be my first choice. I have not been to Canada in decades (saw the Calgary Stampede) and it was far easier to travel in 1970 than in 2016.

I know that I need a flexible airline (not ground) passport but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, um, as a Canadian who has it on the bucket list to spend as little time as possible anywhere east of The Rockies in or approaching winter season, my best suggestion would be to stay home and watch the game on your screen. If you want the full effect of the Aurora Borealis without the ice 'n snow horror, get an awesome printer and some quality paper, print shots off an Internet site and plaster them to your ceiling.

The above strategy 1] will be way cheaper, 2] offers year-round ceiling decorations, and 3] represents a far more humane approach to spending a winter day.

On a tad more serious note, I actually flip over the mountains (from Vancouver) regularly and (sadly for me) frequently enough in the winter months... Think: long underwear, don't be afraid to invest in hats 'n gloves/mitts (and screw fashion - go for warmth!), and it'll all be fine. If in the height of winter, the cold will be crisp, biting, not wet/mushy. Bundle up and you're gold. Edmonton or Calgary, take your pick - both are actually civilized. :laugh:

We're not talking backwater Canada here, lottsa business goes down btwn the two cities, so whichever destination you choose, you'll find the airport, hotels, taxis, all the local services, etc. to be in full operation (actually takes quite a lot of nasty weather for the locals not to be able to deal). I can't answer to the topic of required docs for internationals (though for sure, you'll need a passport to come near us ;-)), but winter or not, the treks are easy, things go smooth, etc.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
This is also on my bucket list someday. I once found a trip to Alaska where you stay at a hotel and they take you out on dog sleds and in fur coats to see the lights. That sounded awesome to me. Good luck.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
What BC said.

Are you heading out to an observatory (not that I know of one) for the immersive experience or sticking around town? Haven't been to Calgary or Edmonton in years so I'm not sure what advice I could give you. Both are great towns. If I had to choose one I'd probably be a bit biased towards Calgary. You won't have a hard time finding a nice hotel or quality restaraunts. Bundle up! A nice thick jacket, hat and scarf are likely needed at that time of year.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
This is also on my bucket list someday. I once found a trip to Alaska where you stay at a hotel and they take you out on dog sleds and in fur coats to see the lights. That sounded awesome to me. Good luck.

Alaska would remove the passport/visa problems, but add several hours on the plane.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Would love to do a trip like this.
Seen the lights a few times in northern MI, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to the Calgary area.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I had a Canadian roommate several years ago. He has since moved back and is in Calgary and said it's awesome. I have a friend who used to work for UCLA athletics and said every season their men's volleyball team would take a trip to play in Calgary and he said it was one of their high points of the year. FUBAR the movie was based there so that's a huge positive......

Point being, I haven't heard anything bad about Calgary but I wouldn't know personally. Isn't Banff near Calgary?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Isn't Banff near Calgary?

It's close in the summer, traveling in the winter is a bit of a different animal if you're behind the wheel. 1-2hr drive from Calgary. That said it's worth the hassle of travel. It's easily the most beautiful and romantic place in Canada.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
It's close in the summer, traveling in the winter is a bit of a different animal if you're behind the wheel. 1-2hr drive from Calgary. That said it's worth the hassle of travel. It's easily the most beautiful and romantic place in Canada.

Hmmm... Romance? Romance in Canada? Isn't that Hockey Night in Canada?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
What proof is that 'maple syrup'?
crown_royal_maple_nv_175.jpg

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Playing an outdoor hockey game on a frozen Lake Louise in Banff while chugging maple syrup. The clothing will just fly off.

Swap the maple syrup for apple cider (with several dosages of spiced rum, duh), and I'm sold. Like really, where's the train? Well, presuming we're talking a co-ed game :naughty:

Speaking of trains, isn't there a train route between Calgary & Banff? Gotta run year-round, and would sure beat the car method. Sounds like the OP is thinking more a fly-in/fly-out bucket list item though? That'd nix catching the AB in Banff.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

Oh. Well maybe that would work, but it brings up old images of a long summer hot night ending abruptly with double espresso vodka on the wall. As in the sweet rich dark variety. As the witness to this event I can only continue to express my gratitude to the universe that my companion's spew was not four inches to the right - and straight into the fan. Easier to clean up the wall than the entire room. Really.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I was just saying tonight that Banff was one of my favorite places, and definitely the prettiest.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Did the W Canadian road swing 7 years ago in March. Edmonton was cold and snowy. Rexall is a dump. Calgary was sunny and in the 50s. Lots more to see and do in Calgary. And the Saddledome is cool though showing it's age as well.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Did the W Canadian road swing 7 years ago in March. Edmonton was cold and snowy. Rexall is a dump. Calgary was sunny and in the 50s. Lots more to see and do in Calgary. And the Saddledome is cool though showing it's age as well.

It may not be now that they had to hose it all out after the flood. Having our flood happen cleaned up our arena somewhat because so much was ruined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad