Trevor Van Riemsdyk

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Good complimentary guy. Should be in the discussion for best 6th/7th D in the league.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Passes the eye test when I've seen him.

One of those guys who will get panned for not playing big minutes but I think more minutes might be worth a shot.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Passes the eye test when I've seen him.

One of those guys who will get panned for not playing big minutes but I think more minutes might be worth a shot.
But his Chicago case defies that because he was worse visualwise and stats wise when he played much more in 15-16. The next year more consistently just as a 3rd pair guy again he was fine. And that's how he was for Carolina.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
But his Chicago case defies that because he was worse visualwise and stats wise when he played much more in 15-16. The next year more consistently just as a 3rd pair guy again he was fine. And that's how he was for Carolina.

Worth pointing out though that he basically missed all of the 2015 season (returned for the finals) and went from a #6 role guy to being thrust into a top 4 role due to Oduya leaving and Roszival no longer being a reliable 2nd pair guy after destroying his ankle in that Minnesota series.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
TVR wasn’t as sheltered as people try and make him out to be, and quite a few players with his deployment do much worse

There is a great recent Athletic article by Dellow called "How Mike Babcock (and others) are sheltering defencemen while playing them against top opposition" which shows how some coaches are deploying some sheltered D in a way which over-inflates their QoC and corsi numbers (meaning they were even more sheltered than the stats indicate and not as good possession-wise as the stats indicate), while making their top pairing/shutdown look worse possession numbers-wise than they should. Carolina was a team that had several D who very high on the list of D who were getting that numbers inflation with TVR, Hanifin and Fleury being among the leagues biggest beneficiaries. (Interestingly, Hamilton, who was traded for Hanifin, was one of the D farthest on the opposite end).

I don't want to explain how as Dellow did a ton of work and should be compensated for it. But to me it was undeniable and changed the way I look at those stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad