Trevor Van Riemsdyk

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This guy might just be the most underrated player in the league. Phenomenal metrics even relative to his phenomenal possession-wise Canes team. Has a 91 game score on Corsica despite not great scoring which often inflates players game scores. This guy is a shutdown stud. Do you agree that he is underrated? How good do you think he is?

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Didn't watch him much last season, but he was a good #4 when he was with the Hawks. Lack of foot speed will keep him from becoming anything more.

Reactions: BHD

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I do not know what you're judging any of this on... shutdown? He played nothing close to that role. Pesce and Slavin played in that role.

Tvr got 6th toi of Dmen and played more favorable Ozone time and paired a lot with Hannafin against lesser competition than the rest of the D.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I do not know what you're judging any of this on... shutdown? He played nothing close to that role. Pesce and Slavin played in that role.

Tvr got 6th toi of Dmen and played more favorable Ozone time and paired a lot with Hannafin against lesser competition than the rest of the D.
He puts up some ridiculous possession/defensive stats albeit slightly sheltered

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Anyone calling him a top 4 D is just looking at the Advanced stats and haven't seen hin play a bunch.

Good #5 who can step up and play for a stretch in your top 4.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Ooo I’m gonna massively disagree there

He’s at least a 3
He isn't at least a 3. He has played bottom pairing minutes all his career. Needs to play well against better competition and play higher up in the lineup to be considered a 3.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Anyone calling him a top 4 D is just looking at the Advanced stats and haven't seen hin play a bunch.

Good #5 who can step up and play for a stretch in your top 4.
He was a top 4 with the Hawks. And I can say that, I saw every single game he played here, even pre-season games.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
A case of a sheltered 4/5/6 guy getting favorable matchups and playing in a good system.
Outliers like this happen all the time. It's why you need to mix in the eye test with advanced stats.

Reactions: cptjeff and olli

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Pretty vanilla defenseman that doesn't offer a lot of high-end (or even mid-level) NHL traits, except he seems to be a surprisingly accurate passer in terms of placement (and to a little lesser degree, timing) given his technical skills. Ideally, he's a 6/7 for me in a vacuum...not a lot of pop to his stride, not a lot of hockey strength, not a lot of urgency near his own net...he just doesn't move the needle for me...

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
He's stellar in his role as a #5-7 d-man, one of the best in the league in that role. He puts up great fancystats because Carolina has the depth to put him in a position to be successful. On many teams he's a moderate to lower end 2nd pairing D who puts up worse numbers because he's playing harder minutes. That's what having depth does for a team and for a player. As strange as it is for a fan of the team that once iced Brett Carson and Casey Borer in actual NHL games, Carolina has quite a lot of defensive depth right now, so they can put guys against competition they'll easily outclass.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Another case of advanced stats not being as valuable as they're made out to be around here!

Oh, let's just calm down - this is one person with one opinion, using whatever statistics he can find to justify what he already thought about a player.

We might as well say that every single Mulletman thread proves that "watching players play" is overrated as a way to evaluate players.

But feel free to crusade on.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
This guy might just be the most underrated player in the league. Phenomenal metrics even relative to his phenomenal possession-wise Canes team. Has a 92 game score on Corsica despite not great scoring which often inflates players game scores. This guy is a shutdown stud. Do you agree that he is underrated? How good do you think he is?
I think he is underrated but not to that extent. Slavin eats up all the though minutes on that team and TVR has a low QoC as many other bottom pairing guys do... many of them do show good metrics because of that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he's a real good 3rd pairing defenseman and this is a case of advanced stats exaggerating ability. Marincin looked like a stud defensive defenseman for a while there with his advanced stats but if you watched him, it wasn't accurate.

Reactions: Murzu and Tryamw

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Analytics aren't as useful for d men

I agree and disagree.

They're just as good for evaluating defensemen(although I think they require more context than forwards do), IMO, but I think they have far less predictive value.

TVR is a good example. His numbers show he was very good in his role(sheltered #6D), but the problem comes in when people assume those above average numbers mean he can automatically handle a harder role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad