Trevor Timmins Discussion (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Like, we got time for Arvid Henrikson, but none for GPG in the playoffs Fagemo? I get that he didn't have a great U18 but come on. You don't even need a swedish scout if you're going to passing on a guy like that in the 7th. And so help me god if I was right about Hållander > Olofsson.
Didn't Timmins say something like "our Swedish scout was going to strangle me if we passed up on Oloffson"? What a goof, he should be fired.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Didn't Timmins say something like "our Swedish scout was going to strangle me if we passed up on Oloffson"? What a goof, he should be fired.

He fell off his chair and it's rightful. I wouldn't write Olofsson off yet by any means. It's hard playing top 6C in the A
SHL as a teenager.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

He did. And of course it's way to early, but if he gets this one wrong he should be fired, IMO. Can't be choosing the wrong prospect from the same team.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He fell off his chair and it's rightful. I wouldn't write Olofsson off yet by any means. It's hard playing top 6C in the A
SHL as a teenager.
I'm not calling him a bust, but I wish we had Hallander instead. Olofsson could make the NHL, but he will probably be another DLR. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: montreal

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not calling him a bust, but I wish we had Hallander instead. Olofsson could make the NHL, but he will probably be another DLR. I hope I'm wrong.

I had Hallander ahead as well but it's still a lot easier to play wing than C at the pro level. Hallander was a pretty ineffective player at the WJCs as well, so I wouldn't hold that tournament against either of them.

For Olofsson, I think next season will be the telling one. He has to move from the kid with all the tools who uses them sometimes to the kid with all the tools who uses them all the time and in harmony.

I think hes more Lars Eller than DLR in terms of upside.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He did say so.

I mean, the Olofsson pick doesn't look that bad, I'm fine with it, big centers with good tools, I understand the pick... I can't say anything about this draft solely on the Kotkaniemi/Fonstad/Ylonen and now Romanov/Harris/ picks, but if I had to pick a C at this spot I would've went for Kurashev or Khovanov... Oh well, can't nitpick every picks like that, win some, lose some, just gotta hope you win some on more occasion, and in this draft, it seems like we did.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He did say so.

I mean, the Olofsson pick doesn't look that bad, I'm fine with it, big centers with good tools, I understand the pick... I can't say anything about this draft solely on the Kotkaniemi/Fonstad/Ylonen and now Romanov/Harris/ picks, but if I had to pick a C at this spot I would've went for Kurashev or Khovanov... Oh well, can't nitpick every picks like that, win some, lose some, just gotta hope you win some on more occasion, and in this draft, it seems like we did.
I'm fine with it too, but I don't think he was BPA which is frustrating. I would rather have a Hallander instead. Only time will tell who is right, but as a scout, you SHOULD be able to know who is better when both players play on the same team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I had Hallander ahead as well but it's still a lot easier to play wing than C at the pro level. Hallander was a pretty ineffective player at the WJCs as well, so I wouldn't hold that tournament against either of them.

For Olofsson, I think next season will be the telling one. He has to move from the kid with all the tools who uses them sometimes to the kid with all the tools who uses them all the time and in harmony.

I think hes more Lars Eller than DLR in terms of upside.

Hallander has been playing a lot of top 6/top line lately, Olofsson isn't even in the top 6 on most nights.

I don't think Olofsson is having a good year, but acting like Hallander is having a good one himself is pretty yikes.

Almost as much as thinking Denisenko was worse than Hallander :sarcasm:

I agree on the Eller thing. DLR had skills, but they were not on par with Olofsson at all, Olo still has good upside, knee jerking and calling him DLR because he's not producing that much in a tougher league basically playing bottom 6 minutes for a crap team isn't too smart.

Reactions: Vachon23

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Is it Rockström who wanted Olofsson? As in the same guy who had Timmins fly to Sweden to catch Henriksson.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm fine with it too, but I don't think he was BPA which is frustrating. I would rather have a Hallander instead. Only time will tell who is right, but as a scout, you SHOULD be able to know who is better when both players play on the same team.

Why would you rather have Hallander ? He's not in a better position than Olo atm. It's eight more points than Olo, lets relax with the hyperbole. Both players seem like somewhat of failed picks, and it was pretty obvious on draft day that they both had limited offensive upside, Olofsson just has the better tools and plays the better position. If I have to choose again for the two, I'd go with Olofsson again.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Is it Rockström who wanted Olofsson? As in the same guy who made Timmins fly to Sweden to catch Henriksson.
I think he's still on the staff... Still living off that find he had in the 80's.

He was the only Swede scout last year, they got a new one this year, along with him Tommy Lehmann

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Why would you rather have Hallander ? He's not in a better position than Olo atm. It's eight more points than Olo, lets relax with the hyperbole. Both players seem like somewhat of failed picks, and it was pretty obvious on draft day that they both had limited offensive upside, Olofsson just has the better tools and plays the better position. If I have to choose again for the two, I'd go with Olofsson again.
Because I think he is better and I always believed that. I dont think either are failed picks. Isnt their team like last place?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Because I think he is better and I always believed that. I dont think either are failed picks. Isnt their team like last place?
Yeah, I got that, but what's being better if it won't change a damn thing in the NHL ? Both have very replaceable players written on them, Hallander has it all figured out, too... At least, in Olo's case, there's the hope that he puts it together.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'd still pick Hallander just based on what I saw last year. Seeing both him and Morozov go in the next four picks better not come back and bite us.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
gigRkm4.jpg
They sure both look god damn good this year, riiiight? I've seen nothing from either of them that tells me theyre going to be more than 15-15 producers, at least Olofsson has the talent for it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
On the topic of scouts, why do we only have two leagues in which we have three scouts ? Is it a huge coincidence that since they hired three scouts for the WHL and the states we've had a higher success rate ? Ever since they hired two more scouts for the WHL in 2016, they've drafted Brook, Fleury, Fonstad and Stapley and they've drafted Poehling, Primeau and Harris in the states... Like, f***ing employ more scouts you're a multi million dollar franchise.

To top it all off they have scouts splitting duties in the east and only two dedicated OHL scouts... thats for the biggest talent pipeline in the world... This team is driving me insane.

Rockstrom is also a big problem for me. Guy has hit twice in his 40 year career... Maybe he's just not that good ? Lundqvist and Lidstrom are HOF players, sure, but his success rate is absolutely horrible... The only other things he has to show for are Jonnson, Hagelin, DLR, Fast and Sundstrom. I mean, sure, keep him if you want, but hire someone else, I'm happy they did.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Isn't our Swedish scout Christer Rockstrom? If this is true and Olofsson busts, then I agree that he should be fired. He was the one that convinced Bergevin to acquire a 7th rounder in 2016 to take Henrikson. Guy seems to be out to lunch. Maybe he should be fired regardless.

Olofsson
Henrikson (traded for the pick)
Vejdemo (in the 3rd round)
De La Rose
Collberg
Nystrom
Nygren
Westin

And that's going back to 2010. Not sure how long he has been the Swedish scout. Olofsson still has a chance to show he's worth a 2nd rounder though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Isn't our Swedish scout Christer Rockstrom? If this is true and Olofsson busts, then I agree that he should be fired. He was the one that convinced Bergevin to acquire a 7th rounder in 2016 to take Henrikson. Guy seems to be out to lunch. Maybe he should be fired regardless.

Olofsson
Henrikson (traded for the pick)
Vejdemo (in the 3rd round)
De La Rose
Collberg
Nystrom
Nygren
Westin

And that's going back to 2010. Not sure how long he has been the Swedish scout. Olofsson still has a chance to show he's worth a 2nd rounder though.
I've made a little list just above, he's been employed by NHL teams since 1985 and he's drafted Lidstrom, Lundqvist, Sundstrom, Jonsson, Hagelin and Fast in his career.... His last hit is Hagelin. He also worked with a lot of picks from teams, I don't think he's that good of a scout.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He also banged the table hard for Vejdemo who's a potential fourth line C.

But all scouts bang the table a time or another for a clown pick. Let's not forget Hannu Laine dying to get Petteri Simila

Reactions: Mrb1p

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hallander has been playing a lot of top 6/top line lately, Olofsson isn't even in the top 6 on most nights.

I don't think Olofsson is having a good year, but acting like Hallander is having a good one himself is pretty yikes.

Almost as much as thinking Denisenko was worse than Hallander :sarcasm:

I agree on the Eller thing. DLR had skills, but they were not on par with Olofsson at all, Olo still has good upside, knee jerking and calling him DLR because he's not producing that much in a tougher league basically playing bottom 6 minutes for a crap team isn't too smart.

I haven't been watching that much of Olofsson since the WJC's, but he's been on the 2nd a good bit with 2 of their best players in Tornqvist and Wedin.

I watched DLR at 18 in the SHL when he was in the same position as his team had just been promoted, he played pretty well on not so good team, with 13 pts in 49 games. Olofsson certainly looks to be the better offensive player but compared to the same age I think it's not that far apart. They play a similar game imo. I just hope that staying in the SHL for a few years and not being rushed to the NHL at 19 works better for Olofsson's development then it did with how we handled DLR.

In the games i've seen Hallander certainly looks better, yes he has the easier position. Hallander has more assists then Olofsson has points in just 3 more games. He's got almost double the amount of points of Olofsson, so it's the context that matters, not just the 8 more points.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I haven't been watching that much of Olofsson since the WJC's, but he's been on the 2nd a good bit with 2 of their best players in Tornqvist and Wedin.

I watched DLR at 18 in the SHL when he was in the same position as his team had just been promoted, he played pretty well on not so good team, with 13 pts in 49 games. Olofsson certainly looks to be the better offensive player but compared to the same age I think it's not that far apart. They play a similar game imo. I just hope that staying in the SHL for a few years and not being rushed to the NHL at 19 works better for Olofsson's development then it did with how we handled DLR.

In the games i've seen Hallander certainly looks better, yes he has the easier position. Hallander has more assists then Olofsson has points in just 3 more games. He's got almost double the amount of points of Olofsson, so it's the context that matters, not just the 8 more points.
Yeah but with totals as low as that it doesnt phase me. Both are most likely tweeners between AHL and NHL or 3rd liners... the Olofsson pick isnt good, but Hallander isnt much better.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah but with totals as low as that it doesnt phase me. Both are most likely tweeners between AHL and NHL or 3rd liners... the Olofsson pick isnt good, but Hallander isnt much better.

it's just too early to really say since their team stinks, just saying that Hallander has looked a good bit better in the games i've seen. I would be happy to trade Olofsson for him, but things could look very different in a year or two from now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
it's just too early to really say since their team stinks, just saying that Hallander has looked a good bit better in the games i've seen. I would be happy to trade Olofsson for him, but things could look very different in a year or two from now.
Sure, but Hallander doesnt look like much of a NHL player to me, didnt look like one in 2018, doesnt look like one now. Theres little offensive upside with the Timra boys IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->