Trevor Timmins Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Since when are the years post draft of any junior player an indication that if good, it means it will translate in the NHL? If true, you wouldn't have enough of 70 teams to fill all those top 6 players.....

Besides, Tinordi's stats were always bad. In the USHL they were bad. In juniors they were bad. Geez, his best offensive season based on opposition was probalby his 1st in the AHL....Tinordi was never chosen to be good offensively. He was solely picked to be tough and play a shutdown role. But when you already settle with that from the day you are drafted, chances are that if you can't get to the absolutely ceiling, it's not too hard to be much worst than what he was chosen for.....

McCareron was fine year 2 and 3...yet, he was so much bigger than the other ones.....So many examples of guys just scoring on being taller and bigger than everyone else. But the guy NEVER had any kind of balance and never was able to figure that part out. WAs it Lefebvre's problem? That the guy never was able to fix his leg and lower body strength. And that in the end, just plateaued like big guys are doing? Remember Hugh Jessiman?

DLR never showed a real offensive instincts to translate in the bigs. It was clear that the Offensive IQ was not there. But another one who benefited from being big but also skating pretty well. At one point, it should have been enough to make a 3rd or 4th line C out of him. Thing is....even a 3rd line C has to have some kind of offensive game. So 4th line C? Sure. No problem with that even today. He was build with what he had. And he could do the job.
Are you suggesting that Lefbreve was “ building” something in Laval? His sole purpose in the organization was to develop the talent he was given. How about this example. Instead of telling kids that they will be nothing more than a 3rd liner? Tell them that if they work on areas of weakness they can achieve some pretty special results in the NHL. LMFAO I can’t believe you’re defending Lefbreve.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I will have to agree that Lefevre was bad...
Still, to me, Leblanc, Tinordi and McCarron where not 1st round material to begin with. Loved Tinordi's size skating but that is it. He also got knock the ...out in JR
Leblanc didn't have hockey in his heart and his foot speed or lack of played a big role, not sure if we can blame the development with those 2 pick.

Scherbak has talent, played 2 years in the AHL and never really dominated anything, sucks to lose him for nothing but he was on the block I can guaranty that just no one wanted to give anything for him...so is it development in his case? I say another bad pick in the 1st round. but there are about 26 more 1st round pick from 2015-2017 who haven't laced them up for the nhl and 27 if you count his draft year. Also picks done after him have not fair to well in general in the NHL aside from Point.

it's hard to know what's in someones heart but Leblanc was seen as a mid 1st rounder and had the resume to go with it. Rookie of the year in the USHL at 17, Ivy League rookie of the year, led his team in the NCAA in scoring at 18, played well for Team Canada.

I never get how people say there wasn't an issue with Leblanc's development, I mean I blame Leblanc, Timmins, Lefebvre, MT, but we are talking about a kid that at 20 in the AHL played so well that he was easily one of their best players and then the next year under Lefebvre in his first year ever as a head coach and what's he do, he takes Leblanc off the top line and PP and replaces him with no talent grinders.

Just screams what a terrible way to develop talent, a talent that had clearly been find producing and playing well under a different coach the year before. I just can't understand how many times I've heard this about Leblanc and I say to myself how does someone look at Leblanc at 20 and see how well he played and then see how crappy he played for Lefebvre and NOT think wow what went wrong there cause he was doing fine under one coach and then looks night and day under a coach that had NEVER been a head coach before. I just don't get it, I watched him under both coaches in Hamilton and it was night and day.

As for Scherbak, he was dominating last year in Laval on the worst team in the league but injuries and call ups kept him at less then half a season. He was on pace for 87 pts in 76 games which would have been outstanding and very much dominating if he could have kept up that pace which I'm not sure he could have since that team sucked.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Are you suggesting that Lefbreve was “ building” something in Laval? His sole purpose in the organization was to develop the talent he was given. How about this example. Instead of telling kids that they will be nothing more than a 3rd liner? Tell them that if they work on areas of weakness they can achieve some pretty special results in the NHL. LMFAO I can’t believe you’re defending Lefbreve.

I'm not defending Lefebvre. I'm telling the ones who uses his departure to TOTALLY exclude Timmins as a weak link. If you would have followed the story, you would have read how I find Lefebvre terrible. I,m the one who has been asking for his departure 3 years ago and was seen as sooooo negative because of it. Lefebvre was not a good teacher. I do not believe that Lefebvre was able to take an average guy and makes him great. But Lefebvre did NOT have the power to take a supposed great pick in Tinordi and makes him awful. There's a freakin limit to what a guy can do.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I'm not defending Lefebvre. I'm telling the ones who uses his departure to TOTALLY exclude Timmins as a weak link. If you would have followed the story, you would have read how I find Lefebvre terrible. I,m the one who has been asking for his departure 3 years ago and was seen as sooooo negative because of it. Lefebvre was not a good teacher. I do not believe that Lefebvre was able to take an average guy and makes him great. But Lefebvre did NOT have the power to take a supposed great pick in Tinordi and makes him awful. There's a freakin limit to what a guy can do.
Telling them they won’t suck would be a starter...

Reactions: montreal

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Telling them they won’t suck would be a starter...

Well those were rumors that were never proven. And if it is proven, well you are still talking to men that surely heard worst in their lifetime. And that somehow, if they make it, will hear it playing in the NHL.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
it's hard to know what's in someones heart but Leblanc was seen as a mid 1st rounder and had the resume to go with it. Rookie of the year in the USHL at 17, Ivy League rookie of the year, led his team in the NCAA in scoring at 18, played well for Team Canada.

I never get how people say there wasn't an issue with Leblanc's development, I mean I blame Leblanc, Timmins, Lefebvre, MT, but we are talking about a kid that at 20 in the AHL played so well that he was easily one of their best players and then the next year under Lefebvre in his first year ever as a head coach and what's he do, he takes Leblanc off the top line and PP and replaces him with no talent grinders.

Just screams what a terrible way to develop talent, a talent that had clearly been find producing and playing well under a different coach the year before. I just can't understand how many times I've heard this about Leblanc and I say to myself how does someone look at Leblanc at 20 and see how well he played and then see how crappy he played for Lefebvre and NOT think wow what went wrong there cause he was doing fine under one coach and then looks night and day under a coach that had NEVER been a head coach before. I just don't get it, I watched him under both coaches in Hamilton and it was night and day.

As for Scherbak, he was dominating last year in Laval on the worst team in the league but injuries and call ups kept him at less then half a season. He was on pace for 87 pts in 76 games which would have been outstanding and very much dominating if he could have kept up that pace which I'm not sure he could have since that team sucked.

You and I very specifically had the Leblanc/Lefebvre debate years ago and you needed another mod to step in b/c you couldn't handle the facts and went over the top. Want to revisit? You claim that everyone is to blame, but then pin all of it on Lefebvre. While Sly might not have had "success" (however that is defined for an AHL coach seems to vary greatly around here and Hudon stands out as one and Scherbak's 87 pt pace would 2nd that) he didn't make the decision to goto Harvard and then switch and then go pro and then . . . Also, Leblanc made a stupid decision to fight Jesse Blacker and really did damage to his ankle in that fight and lost almost a whole season of development at a crucial time. Then, what did Leblanc do after he went to another team? What did your boy Danny Kristo do? Conversely for all the DLR lovers around here, his mistake was probably not going to the Windsor Spitfires to play in a better league.

You are right that Leblanc was drafted more or less at his spot. The player drafted on last name was Tinordi. McCarron was drafted on body shape. This all points not to a failure to develop--no coach can develop talent; it's a fan-centric confirmation bias laden fallacy that you can turn a good player into a great player--but rather a failure to project. That's on scouts, guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
So Lefebvre's lack of success is under doubt because one waiver wire player had a high PPG for a portion of a season in the AHL?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Lefebvre's lack of success is under doubt because one waiver wire player had a high PPG for a portion of a season in the AHL?

no, 6 years of poor results. MB hired a guy with zero experience as a head coach, Timmins had a good track record up until Lefebvre/MB era. So while I have said over and over and over that it's not just on one person/area, that our problems stem from several things, starting with poor asset management, terrible development, management's obsession with rushing 18,19, 20 year olds to the NHL when they haven't dominated their previous league outside of Hudon who is the only one they seemed to keep in the AHL.

Then there's the coaching with MT/Julien not putting the youth in positions to succeed outside of Kotka, benching them for every little mistake, putting them in the pressbox, then sending them back down to start all over after just starting to put a string together of good games/production at the AHL.

And clearly the scouting has made it's fair share of mistakes. All scouts do, and Timmins has admitted they drafted for need in '06 and '13 and got burned. You hope that they learned from there mistakes, clearly management doesn't seem to want to change but the scouting has to be better. That said if you tie one arm behind a scouts back, it makes it that much tougher, as there's a good reason why top 5, top 10, top 20, picks have much more success then guys picked in the 50's, 70's 90's etc..

To me it starts with management, they need to change their position on rushing our top prospects to the NHL. The one good thing about a lockout next season is that they will be forced not to rush Brook, Poehling and Suzuki.

Next is the coaching. I want to see Julien replaced by Ducharme. So far I like what i've seen/heard from Bouchard, seems a major upgrade on Lefebvre. We need the coaching to put these kids in positions to succeed. If you have a Scherbak, you either put with him snipers or you don't play him. If you have a Beaulieu you put him with someone that can cover his defensive mistakes. Etc... Won't always work but they have to stop benching kids for every little mistake. They also need to play them, give them the quality ice time while the team isn't a playoff contender to see what you have.

The scouts need to be revamped, both sides need to do a better job, clearly we have people on both sides making good moves/picks but clearly on both sides we also have someone making bad moves/picks. Who pushed for Alzner, King, Martinsen, etc.. vs who pushed for Domi, Danault, etc.. Who pushed for DLR, McCarron, Tinordi, etc.. vs who pushed for Gallagher, Sergachev, Mete, etc...

So far we got rid of one mistake in Lefebvre, but more work needs to be done. If they can get someone better then Timmins then so be it, but if we are just going to rush all our best guys to the NHL, have just 5 picks a draft and 1 top 90 pick or so then we aren't doing that scout any favors and shouldn't expect too much.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
60 points is a bit harsh as one year earlier, Timmins drafted Subban and Pacioretty... And Galchenyuk puy up 56 and Gally put up a 60 points pace.

Why is the 60 points arbitrary line chosen ?

I agree that it is a pathetic record though, no one will disagree.

Anyway, Minnesota is a team with similar drafting, with only Zucker and Granlund producing 60 points in the last decade. (Scandella, Dumba, Tuch, Leddy and Haula are good players though.)

LA has only drafted Doughty (Gifted Doughty @ 2nd overall), whos produced 60 points once, Schenn with Miller, Pearson, Voynov, toffoli being the only other notable picks in that span.

The Coyotes only have Keller who produced 60 points, with Stone, Boedkker, Chychrun, OEL, Domi, Dvorak, Perlini, Fischer being good players.

The Leafs haven't produced such a player outside of the top 10, Kadri, Matthews, Marner and Nylander... Dermott and Rielly are two other good NHL players.

The Stars have produced Rielly Smith who got 60 points last year, aside from that they produced Heiskanen, Chiasson, Lindell, Faksa.

Nashville only drafted Josi who's broken the 60 points barrier but have been good overall with Jones, Ellis, Ekholm...

The Rangers did not draft a player that broke 60, they have however drafted Stepan, Duclair, Skjei, Kreider, Del zotto, miller and Buchnevich.

The Devils have not drafted a 60 points player, good NHLer = Larsson, Bratt, Henrique, Serverson, Kerfoot, Wood, Zacha, Hischier

The Bruins have drafted Seguin and Pasta who've broken the 60 points mark and other good players like McAvoy, Spooner, Hamilton, Heinen, Debrusk, Carlo,

The Hurricanes have drafted Aho and Skinner who've broken 60, and hit on Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, Rask, Lindhilm, Hanifin, Dumoulin.

Chicago has drafted Teravainen whos just broken the 60 points mark last year, and other good NHL players like Schmaltz, Danault, Hayes, Kruger, Shaw, Saad, Hartman and Debrincat.

Detroit drafted Larkin who's broken the 60 points barrier last year, Mantha, Sheahan, Nyquist, our very own Tatar, Jarnkrok, Mrazek, Athanasious, Bertuzzi are other good NHL players.

San José hasn't drafted a 60 points player, the list of player is sad, Demers, Meier, Wingels, Coyle, Nieto, Hertl, Tierney, Labanc, Mueller. In fact, I believe none of them have broken 50 points once aside from Coyle in 14-15.

Some are worse, some are better, most are similar. A lot of it has to do with strength of drafting, Toronto is absolutely terrible outside of the top 10, with only Dermott being relevant in the past decade. Detroit isn't good at all aside from Larking, Chicago is bad but they didn't have good draft power, the Devils are bad, Sanjosé are bad, LA is terribad aside from the gift of Doughty, etc.

I'm the one who suggested the 60 points line and I think it's an excellent cutoff to see your scouting teams ability to draft offensive players.

60 points has basically been the cutoff to be a top 50 scorer in the NHL.

100 points => top 1
90 points => top 3
80 points => top 10
70 points => top 20
60 points => top 50
50 points => top 100

More or less. Each linear milestole is actually exponentially more difficult to attain and the 60 points plateau is one very few players actually get to in a given year (50-> or less than 8% of the league). Yet at the same time, unlike the top 20 or top 10 scorers, it's not as overwhelmingly filled with high picks, you have some mid late firsts to mid rounders there. It's a good barometer of how good you are at drafting skill (I took out top 3 picks except ours).

And in any case, which line would not be arbitrary ?

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm the one who suggested the 60 points line and I think it's an excellent cutoff to see your scouting teams ability to draft offensive players.

60 points has basically been the cutoff to be a top 50 scorer in the NHL.

100 points => top 1
90 points => top 3
80 points => top 10
70 points => top 20
60 points => top 50
50 points => top 100

More or less. Each linear milestole is actually exponentially more difficult to attain and the 60 points plateau is one very few players actually get to in a given year (50-> or less than 8% of the league). Yet at the same time, unlike the top 20 or top 10 scorers, it's not as overwhelmingly filled with high picks, you have some mid late firsts to mid rounders there. It's a good barometer of how good you are at drafting skill (I took out top 3 picks except ours).

And in any case, which line would not be arbitrary ?
Why not just look at in in matters of rankings if that is what youre essentially looking at ?

I also don't like that defnition because you're holding every one to the same standards for points. Kessel, Jokinen Filip Forbserg, Max Pacioretty, Jonathan Huberdeau, Taylor Hall and Patrice Bergeron all finished within 8 points of each other in 14-15. What does that statistic really tell us on the quality of the player drafted ?

The case of Gallagher, too, that I've already addressed is a common problem with arbitrary lines set in the sand for points.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Why not just look at in in matters of rankings if that is what youre essentially looking at ?

I also don't like that defnition because you're holding every one to the same standards for points. Kessel, Jokinen Filip Forbserg, Max Pacioretty, Jonathan Huberdeau, Taylor Hall and Patrice Bergeron all finished within 8 points of each other in 14-15. What does that statistic really tell us on the quality of the player drafted ?

That they're all excellent ?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You'd put the label "excellent" on Huberdeau ?

And you wouldn't put that label on Gallagher ?

I would, yet Huberdeau would still be superior offensively... Which has been the point here.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Well those were rumors that were never proven. And if it is proven, well you are still talking to men that surely heard worst in their lifetime. And that somehow, if they make it, will hear it playing in the NHL.
Seriously?

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
no, 6 years of poor results. MB hired a guy with zero experience as a head coach, Timmins had a good track record up until Lefebvre/MB era. So while I have said over and over and over that it's not just on one person/area, that our problems stem from several things, starting with poor asset management, terrible development, management's obsession with rushing 18,19, 20 year olds to the NHL when they haven't dominated their previous league outside of Hudon who is the only one they seemed to keep in the AHL.

Then there's the coaching with MT/Julien not putting the youth in positions to succeed outside of Kotka, benching them for every little mistake, putting them in the pressbox, then sending them back down to start all over after just starting to put a string together of good games/production at the AHL.

And clearly the scouting has made it's fair share of mistakes. All scouts do, and Timmins has admitted they drafted for need in '06 and '13 and got burned. You hope that they learned from there mistakes, clearly management doesn't seem to want to change but the scouting has to be better. That said if you tie one arm behind a scouts back, it makes it that much tougher, as there's a good reason why top 5, top 10, top 20, picks have much more success then guys picked in the 50's, 70's 90's etc..

To me it starts with management, they need to change their position on rushing our top prospects to the NHL. The one good thing about a lockout next season is that they will be forced not to rush Brook, Poehling and Suzuki.

Next is the coaching. I want to see Julien replaced by Ducharme. So far I like what i've seen/heard from Bouchard, seems a major upgrade on Lefebvre. We need the coaching to put these kids in positions to succeed. If you have a Scherbak, you either put with him snipers or you don't play him. If you have a Beaulieu you put him with someone that can cover his defensive mistakes. Etc... Won't always work but they have to stop benching kids for every little mistake. They also need to play them, give them the quality ice time while the team isn't a playoff contender to see what you have.

The scouts need to be revamped, both sides need to do a better job, clearly we have people on both sides making good moves/picks but clearly on both sides we also have someone making bad moves/picks. Who pushed for Alzner, King, Martinsen, etc.. vs who pushed for Domi, Danault, etc.. Who pushed for DLR, McCarron, Tinordi, etc.. vs who pushed for Gallagher, Sergachev, Mete, etc...

So far we got rid of one mistake in Lefebvre, but more work needs to be done. If they can get someone better then Timmins then so be it, but if we are just going to rush all our best guys to the NHL, have just 5 picks a draft and 1 top 90 pick or so then we aren't doing that scout any favors and shouldn't expect too much.

Who was rushed besides maybe DLR (who has already peaked)? You spent years moaning about every single last AHL fanboy crush of yours not getting "a fair chance" (Danny Kristo comes to mind. Where is he again? Changes monthly lately). Scherbak wasn't rushed. He just didn't do anything. Pateryn? You moaned. Tinordi? You moaned. Hudon? You moaned. A. Lot.

According to this board (and a certain mod), Beaulieu was supposed to become a Norris candidate under Housley, not the healthy scratch he's been, Eller was a #2 centre, not the 25 pt giveaway machine he is irl, Jiri Sekac was the next coming of Marian Hossa, DLR is going to be the next Ryan Kesler, Andrighetto was the next Martin St. Louis, and Sergachev is the next Larry Robinson. Oh, and Danny Kristo was supposed to be the next Michael Ryder.

How do you know the scout who said "Gallagher" was not the same scout who said "Matt Higgins"? How do you know the scout who said "Domi" didn't say "Alzner"? I'll bet it's "scouts" in the plural and the assistants and the GM.

Eliminating Lefebvre only underscores the complete lack of system depth and the inability to project bodies and characters. That's on the scouts first. The development team needs grist for the mill, wheat and not chaff, etc. They need something to work with. Tom Pyatt and Chad Kilger were both 40+ scorers in junior and skate like the wind. How'd that go? Steve Ludzik finished ahead of Steve Larmer in OHL scoring . . .

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004

your boy JDR: 1 assist in his last 10. nice. "asset management" :shakehead
your boy Andrighetto might as well be JDR. nice. "asset management" :shakehead
your boy Danny Kristo: with his 2nd team this year, now in swiss a-league (whatever that is) and still hasn't played a game in the NHL. "asset management" :shakehead
your boy Jiri Sekac isn't even the next Marian Hossa of the KHL and is on 0.80 pts/game pace in that league. "asset management" :shakehead
your boy Will Bitten has 1 assist in 11 AHL games. "asset management" :shakehead

while you have blamed sly for everything in the world except global warming, he can't be blamed for any of those "asset management" issues.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Seriously?

You have proofs? And if it's something that always happened to every prospect that hasn't made it, reason why they never made it in the first place, and that you know it, it means that Bergevin knows it right? So Bergevin, as stupid as he is supposed to be, decided to WILLINGLY keep a coach that DESTROYED the prospects Timmins chose? The Montreal Canadiens decided to keep and to make Timmins graduate so that the goal was to see Lefebvre destroy everything Timmins did?

Are some of you ok? I'm worried.

Who was rushed besides maybe DLR (who has already peaked)? You spent years moaning about every single last AHL fanboy crush of yours not getting "a fair chance" (Danny Kristo comes to mind. Where is he again? Changes monthly lately).

Poor Montreal.....being bashed for something he didn't say. I have your back Montreal. We all know Kristo was MY fanboy crush.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: montreal and Toene

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Who was rushed besides maybe DLR (who has already peaked)? You spent years moaning about every single last AHL fanboy crush of yours not getting "a fair chance" (Danny Kristo comes to mind. Where is he again? Changes monthly lately). Scherbak wasn't rushed. He just didn't do anything. Pateryn? You moaned. Tinordi? You moaned. Hudon? You moaned. A. Lot.

According to this board (and a certain mod), Beaulieu was supposed to become a Norris candidate under Housley, not the healthy scratch he's been, Eller was a #2 centre, not the 25 pt giveaway machine he is irl, Jiri Sekac was the next coming of Marian Hossa, DLR is going to be the next Ryan Kesler, Andrighetto was the next Martin St. Louis, and Sergachev is the next Larry Robinson. Oh, and Danny Kristo was supposed to be the next Michael Ryder.

How do you know the scout who said "Gallagher" was not the same scout who said "Matt Higgins"? How do you know the scout who said "Domi" didn't say "Alzner"? I'll bet it's "scouts" in the plural and the assistants and the GM.

Eliminating Lefebvre only underscores the complete lack of system depth and the inability to project bodies and characters. That's on the scouts first. The development team needs grist for the mill, wheat and not chaff, etc. They need something to work with. Tom Pyatt and Chad Kilger were both 40+ scorers in junior and skate like the wind. How'd that go? Steve Ludzik finished ahead of Steve Larmer in OHL scoring . . .

I bite, but you can't seriously say that, if you stay true to strictly one mould to develop your players in, you aren't narrow-minded and deficient.

Poor Montreal.....being bashed for something he didn't say. I have your back Montreal. We all know Kristo was MY fanboy crush.....

Christo was and will always be the best player that suffered frost bite while trying to get laid as a teenager.

Reactions: Whitesnake

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004

23 may 2015 in St. John's Ice Caps thread. Among other things (there is more):

He was still their 1st pick in the draft, so they must have thought highly of him to make him the first pick of the draft. And rightly so since he was one of the top scorers in the NCAA, was nominated for the Hobey Baker, has been among the top scorers on his AHL team. I can understand why they traded him, but to get Thomas in return is not what I would have done and so far it hasn't panned out. Granted who knows what would have happened had we just kept Kristo, and injuries have impacted Thomas since the trade. Guess we'll see if Kristo sees time in the NHL next year and what happens to Thomas.
Okay, he was right that Sly was going to be fired, but saying the same thing every day for 5 or 6 years when we all know that every coach is hired to be fired doesn't make you Nostradamus.

I bite, but you can't seriously say that, if you stay true to strictly one mould to develop your players in, you aren't narrow-minded and deficient.

Genuinely, I'm not sure I follow entirely. Could you please elaborate b/c I think I agree.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
23 may 2015 in St. John's Ice Caps thread. Among other things (there is more):

He was still their 1st pick in the draft, so they must have thought highly of him to make him the first pick of the draft. And rightly so since he was one of the top scorers in the NCAA, was nominated for the Hobey Baker, has been among the top scorers on his AHL team. I can understand why they traded him, but to get Thomas in return is not what I would have done and so far it hasn't panned out. Granted who knows what would have happened had we just kept Kristo, and injuries have impacted Thomas since the trade. Guess we'll see if Kristo sees time in the NHL next year and what happens to Thomas.
Okay, he was right that Sly was going to be fired, but saying the same thing every day for 5 or 6 years when we all know that every coach is hired to be fired doesn't make you Nostradamus.

Not sure what's wrong about what he said. Thomas hasn't panned out. And Kristo did have pretty good number in the NCAA. Somehow, the same numbers that we loved to see from Evans were not good enough for Kristo? So reading his comments about the trade.....well aside from Kristo not panning out, he isn't wrong. Yes, saying the same thing every day for 5 years might not make you Nostradamus yet, it's not really the point. Wanting a guy to be fired 3 years ago and seeing what we see now just tells us that we were right to ask for it. In the following 3 years, Lefebvre didn't make us eat crow. To a point that the guy didn't earn a head coaching job after being fired. And seeing how our team struggled....yeah, he should have been fired 3 years ago. Wasn't a prediction....was a wish.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
your boy Danny Kristo: with his 2nd team this year, now in swiss a-league (whatever that is) and still hasn't played a game in the NHL. "asset management" :shakehead
your boy Jiri Sekac isn't even the next Marian Hossa of the KHL and is on 0.80 pts/game pace in that league. "asset management" :shakehead
your boy Will Bitten has 1 assist in 11 AHL games. "asset management" :shakehead

while you have blamed sly for everything in the world except global warming, he can't be blamed for any of those "asset management" issues.
Was that supposed to prove anything?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

You argue as well as your name-sake.

Most of those players were either drafted, developed, or acquired by major figures within the organization today. That's poor asset management in and of itself.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I was a big Kristo fan, he was a lot of fun to watch, and it's not like he sucked, he did put up 97 pts in 82 games in his final 2 years at ND. His line in his senior year with Knight and MacMillan was the top line in the NCAA that year, they dominated teams.

But when you give your opinion on over 30 prospects every year you are going to be wrong plenty. I thought Collberg was going to be a very good 2nd line winger for us along with Kristo, I badly wanted us to draft Higgins and Perezhogin, thought for sure they would be long time Habs. When Ryder got sent to the ECHL for the 2nd time I said he would never make the NHL. After watching Garon lose in the playoffs vs Hamilton I thought he was done and then after watching him in Hamilton with that stacked team I thought he was going to be a very good goalie. I like O'Byrne a lot and thought he would stick around longer then 300+ NHL games.

When I watched Pateryn and Bennett for 4 years at Michigan I never would have thought that Pateryn would be the NHLer and Bennett out of hockey. Bennett looked so much better while Pateryn lacked the skating, speed. I only saw say 4 or so games of Leblanc at Havard but if you had told me that Alex Killorn would end up being the better NHLer I wouldn't have believed it. (thought they were the top 3 scorers on the team so not that shocking)

I took a ton of heat when I started ranking Subban over McDonagh while he was still in the OHL. Ask @Mrb1p how much crap he gave me over my dislike of Beaulieu, I mean just look at this thread as I have someone following me around trying to troll me because I openly admitted my hate of Lefebvre and how i thought he was the WORST coach I'd ever seen at the pro level. I couldn't stand the guy and I fully voiced my opinion and every year there would be a small handful of posters telling how wrong I was about him. They spun the wheel of excuses for him except when it came to trying to explain his poor decisions with his roster.

Now maybe I was wrong there, maybe it was less Lefebvre and MB fired the wrong guy and instead should have fired Timmins. I don't believe that simply because Timmins had a proven track record. Most posters seem to say he did a good job up until '08. Lefebvre had NEVER been a head coach before, not one game of experience. So he's had zero track record. Then you look at the moves he makes, his obsession with Maxime Macenauer, over Leblanc, and others. Putting no talent grinders on the PP. What a joke. Letting kids sit in the press box while guys like Joe Finley would get ice time, what a terrible way to develop and his record shows what a failure he was.

And I've said over and over and over that it's not just on him, management, MT/CJ, Timmins and his staff, the players, they all have a hand in this. But Lebefvre was at the top along with MB in who I wanted to see fired and replaced with someone better. If MB goes and the new GM wants to get rid of Timmins then so be it but imo he's much less at fault then Lefebvre and this management team for rushing these kids and poorly handling them.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I was a big Kristo fan, he was a lot of fun to watch, and it's not like he sucked, he did put up 97 pts in 82 games in his final 2 years at ND. His line in his senior year with Knight and MacMillan was the top line in the NCAA that year, they dominated teams.

But when you give your opinion on over 30 prospects every year you are going to be wrong plenty. I thought Collberg was going to be a very good 2nd line winger for us along with Kristo, I badly wanted us to draft Higgins and Perezhogin, thought for sure they would be long time Habs. When Ryder got sent to the ECHL for the 2nd time I said he would never make the NHL. After watching Garon lose in the playoffs vs Hamilton I thought he was done and then after watching him in Hamilton with that stacked team I thought he was going to be a very good goalie. I like O'Byrne a lot and thought he would stick around longer then 300+ NHL games.

When I watched Pateryn and Bennett for 4 years at Michigan I never would have thought that Pateryn would be the NHLer and Bennett out of hockey. Bennett looked so much better while Pateryn lacked the skating, speed. I only saw say 4 or so games of Leblanc at Havard but if you had told me that Alex Killorn would end up being the better NHLer I wouldn't have believed it. (thought they were the top 3 scorers on the team so not that shocking)

I took a ton of heat when I started ranking Subban over McDonagh while he was still in the OHL. Ask @Mrb1p how much crap he gave me over my dislike of Beaulieu, I mean just look at this thread as I have someone following me around trying to troll me because I openly admitted my hate of Lefebvre and how i thought he was the WORST coach I'd ever seen at the pro level. I couldn't stand the guy and I fully voiced my opinion and every year there would be a small handful of posters telling how wrong I was about him. They spun the wheel of excuses for him except when it came to trying to explain his poor decisions with his roster.

Now maybe I was wrong there, maybe it was less Lefebvre and MB fired the wrong guy and instead should have fired Timmins. I don't believe that simply because Timmins had a proven track record. Most posters seem to say he did a good job up until '08. Lefebvre had NEVER been a head coach before, not one game of experience. So he's had zero track record. Then you look at the moves he makes, his obsession with Maxime Macenauer, over Leblanc, and others. Putting no talent grinders on the PP. What a joke. Letting kids sit in the press box while guys like Joe Finley would get ice time, what a terrible way to develop and his record shows what a failure he was.

And I've said over and over and over that it's not just on him, management, MT/CJ, Timmins and his staff, the players, they all have a hand in this. But Lebefvre was at the top along with MB in who I wanted to see fired and replaced with someone better. If MB goes and the new GM wants to get rid of Timmins then so be it but imo he's much less at fault then Lefebvre and this management team for rushing these kids and poorly handling them.
Doesnt Beaulieu work against your Lefevre argument though :sarcasm:
I fell in love with his tools and knew I was wrong for a while before he left, but hey, Im a trooper :laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Doesnt Beaulieu work against your Lefevre argument though :sarcasm:
I fell in love with his tools and knew I was wrong for a while before he left, but hey, Im a trooper :laugh:

It does work against my Timmins support since he's struggled so badly after putting up 28 pts. He does have 75 pts in just over 300 games, so it's not the worst pick for sure. But I took a lot of heat from several posters at the time, the same for Tinordi as I had fans tell me how wrong I was about him and that he would be an NHLer.

But to me it's not about being right and wrong, I mean if you are wrong all the time or even most of the time then clearly you need to re-think voicing your opinion on any subject but for all the years I've been at HF, it seems like so many are just focused on being right when everyone will be right/wrong but it's about learning from your mistakes and trying to be a little more humble when others disagree even if you know they are wrong cause in the end no one knows how things are going to turn out. We can think we know and we may end up being right but there could be other factors that led to that that we didn't even know about. This place is always so aggressive about being right or wrong when it should be more about just discussing ones opinions and why they feel that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad