Trevor Timmins Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
15 games in the AHL or SHL?

There was always questions about DLR's offensive game, but in the 2nd league at 17 he had a pretty good season, here's how he compares with Filip Forsberg as they were on the same team,

At 17 in the 2nd league (like our AHL),
Forsberg - 43-8-9-17 (.4 ppg)
DLR - 38-6-6-12 (.32 ppg)

now that's as far as they compare since the next year at 18 Forsberg was still in the 2nd league but DLR was in the SHL so it's hard to compare them. In the SHL he was 1 of 3 teenagers on the team if you only count players with more then say 15 games. The other two teens were a year older and had 7 pts between them while DLR was 8th on the team in scoring while the guys in front of him were all 26 to 32.

So there was some offense, but what does Lefebvre do, he puts him on the 4th line and he doesn't give his 4th line a lot of ice time. After the WJC's he was moved up and got more ice time and started to put up decent numbers for a 19 year old. Then he gets called up to the NHL after he was just starting to gel imo. In the NHL he plays 33 games and has 4 goals, looks solid for a 19 year old.

But the next year he's sent back to the AHL after training camp, starts off the season very slow, was playing with Dumont and Scherbak I believe, line was just terrible. They change up the lines after some injuries/callups and he starts doing much better and so of course just as he's starting to string together some offense once again they call up him, he plays 22 games, gets 1 freaking point, is jerked about between the 4th line and press box and then gets sent down.

The next season he's sent down after camp again, once again he starts off very slowly. Once again he starts putting it together to the point he's one of their better players so of course just as he's starting to put together offensive games he gets called up barely plays, sits in the press box and then gets sent down.

Now all of this could have been avoided. They could have put him in the OHL at 19, had 3 years in the AHL and he could be a rookie in the NHL next year and while we'll never know what would have happened, it's clear this was a very poor way to handle him even if he didn't show much in the way off offense which I think he did but never could do it long enough because they kept calling him up right as he was heating up.

also it's funny you put you like him but not as much as others, DLR has gotten so much hate around here, it wasn't until later this past season when he was given a bigger role and had some production that more started to think he may actually be a decent 4th liner. I said all along that he was handled very poorly but still could be a solid 4th liner for us.

DLR imo was likely mishandled the worst of any of them, and it's very much to do with the yo-yoing. Just as the kid was putting strings of games together where he was showing/creating/producing what happens? He gets called up, then benched, then sent down and they repeated that mistake every year. Just not sure how someone can think this wouldn't have a big impact on their confidence, development.

Next you say McCarron was mishandled, which clearly he was, but you say not for the yo-yos but for the role they gave him. The problem is that Lefebvre actually did a pretty good job with McCarron at least for the most part. Never once did Lefebvre take McCarron off the top 6 despite how ****ty he was playing at times. He always got quality ice time and PP time. It wasn't until this year that he really stuck him with such crappy linemates for most nights. The problem with McCarron is he comes in and does great in his first month as a rookie in the AHL but it didn't take long to call him up and then bench him and then send him back and he never looked the same. Now of course we can lay blame on Timmins, McCarron, MT, MB, and they are share the blame but imo he could have been handled much better in terms of not calling him up until he dominated for more then 1 month.

Subban they did a great job, Guy Boucher was very smart with him. He dominated the AHL for a full season and then gets called up for the playoffs and looks very good. The rest is history. I don't have an issue with calling up a player at 20, but wait till they dominate for at least half the season if not all the season. Hudon did it, he started out as a 20 year old rookie that was among the league leaders in points early in the season. He didn't have much help so he couldn't keep up the pace but still had a very good year. Yet they left him there.

Gallagher in his last 3 WHL seasons in 172 games he had 126 goals (that's a .73 goals per game) in his rookie year in the AHL he plays really well in half a season and gets called up. I would have left him there all year but to show how good he was, in just 36 games he finished tied for 2nd on the team in goals with players that played just about double the amount of games.

So to me they did the right thing with both Subban and Gallagher. Beaulieu they should have left him in the AHL (and hired better coaches), he played most of the year in the AHL and was pretty good. He tied for the team lead in points but you could see the problems in his own end so I wouldn't have called him up as a 20 year old rookie. Then the same next year, he spends much of the year in the AHL, missed 19 games after being called up and showing mixed results as imo he wasn't progressing yet they still called him up. Not a smart move. Now we all know Beaulieu had his issues in his own end and some feel you can't fix stupid but I still think they should have handled him better.

I do very much believe each case is different, no exact formula. That said I prefer to lean towards the side of caution and I much prefer that they wait unless they are dominating before a call up.
Mccarron was always a project and it kept becoming clearer and clearer he wasn’t going to make it. He doesn’t have the hands. Yes, development was crappy, but I really think with him, it wouldn’t have mattered. People on these boards still over rate this guy. Just like Fucale (until recently)

Reactions: schnapshot

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Mccarron was always a project and it kept becoming clearer and clearer he wasn’t going to make it. He doesn’t have the hands. Yes, development was crappy, but I really think with him, it wouldn’t have mattered. People on these boards still over rate this guy. Just like Fucale (until recently)

Don't agree, McCarron was doing well in the OHL, he had 102 pts in 122 games, then goes to the AHL and puts up 20 pts in 21 games or so. He was producing and playing well. Yes he had balance issues, lack of speed, stamina, but he showed some decent playmaking skills, was a real pain for goalies/defensmen on the PP by screening and banging in rebounds.

Then the Habs called him up and gave him the usual prospect treatment, play a little, bench for mistakes, put him in the press box, send him down and then he wasn't the same player. Look at his numbers in the AHL,

at 20,
58-17-21-38

at 21,
32-7-12-19

at 22,
54-7-17-24

So in his first year he put up 5 less points then he would do in the next 2 years and that's with getting top 6 ice time every year just that this past season he had terrible linemates most of the time which was stupid imo. In his first season he had a .66 ppg which over 82 games would be 54 pts, so it's not like he doesn't have some skill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wonder if the Habs will take the usual approach where they rush to player NHL and hope he magically develops their offense.

Not sure I agree with what you are saying. Who did we rush to the NHL and hope they magically developed their offense? Players earn their spot on the NHL roster, simple as that. I think this "we destroy players development" is going too far.

Lets look at the Wings for example. They have a history of not inserting their prospects on the NHL roster until they develop in the AHL first. Lets see if they rush Zadina into the NHL or not. Doesn't it depend on the player? For example, Mantha was not ready but Zadina might be? Personally, I think Zadina is one year away but he can survive if he makes the NHL next season. Does this mean they are rushing him into the NHL hoping he develops his offense?

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Mete, Latendresse, Leblanc, Pacioretty (his first stint), Lehkonen
Most of these were before Bergevin and co.

I don’t see why Pacioretty is included here, he turned out just fine.

Lehkonen scored 18 goals as a rookie, you really think he came to the NHL too soon?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Scherbak wasn't. He was repeatedly played with plugs and had been passed around positions like a hot potato always following an injury.

Scherbak bounced around to start his AHL career, sure, but he played with Hudon and Terry for the 2nd half of his sophomore season, and he played top line in the AHL last season. So basically 1 and a 1/2 seasons out of 3 he played 1st line in the AHL... You can make the argument that he should never have been called up, but I don't think he was treated that badly, aside from his rookie season.

This is a good article that talks in-depth about how he was handled, and who he played with the most/best
2016-2017 St. John’s IceCaps Player Review: Nikita Scherbak - Encouraging progress, but still work to be done

Wow I'm dumb I forgot he played in 2014-15 :help:, had to edit some things, yeah you have a good point

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Scherbak bounced around to start his AHL career, sure, but he played with Hudon and Terry for the 2nd half of his sophomore season, and he played top line in the AHL last season. So basically 1 and a 1/2 seasons out of 3 he played 1st line in the AHL... You can make the argument that he should never have been called up, but I don't think he was treated that badly, aside from his rookie season.

This is a good article that talks in-depth about how he was handled, and who he played with the most/best
2016-2017 St. John’s IceCaps Player Review: Nikita Scherbak - Encouraging progress, but still work to be done

Wow I'm dumb I forgot he played in 2014-15 :help:, had to edit some things, yeah you have a good point
He also played the 2016 calendar year at center, which was stupid.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Apart from McCarron and De la Rose, when have you seen that approach? Doesn’t seem usual to me

usual for prospects that need to develop their offensive game.

Juulsen in his first 26 games in the AHL had points in 1 game. Then in the final 5 games he puts up 4 pts and gets called to the NHL. So for 25 of 26 games he doesn't record a single point but as soon as he starts putting up some offense what do they do? They call him up instead of say letting him show he can string together a couple months of offense and get his confidence going. This organization makes terrible decisions with developing players.

At least with Leblanc they let him play almost half a season in the AHL before calling him up, as he was doing great.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Scherbak? Hudon?

We suck at developing but no, this isn’t their only approach, not when it happened with only two players in 6 years.
How can you say they're "developing" Scherbak's offense when he almost never plays with anyone who has offensive ability? This team develops everyone into grinders. I don't even know why they bother buying hockey sticks.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
How can you say they're "developing" Scherbak's offense when he almost never plays with anyone who has offensive ability? This team develops everyone into grinders. I don't even know why they bother buying hockey sticks.
We were talking about developing in the AHL, not the NHL.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I'd say DLR is way much better than McCarron! McCarron is a complete bust for a first rounder

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Don't agree, McCarron was doing well in the OHL, he had 102 pts in 122 games, then goes to the AHL and puts up 20 pts in 21 games or so. He was producing and playing well. Yes he had balance issues, lack of speed, stamina, but he showed some decent playmaking skills, was a real pain for goalies/defensmen on the PP by screening and banging in rebounds.

Then the Habs called him up and gave him the usual prospect treatment, play a little, bench for mistakes, put him in the press box, send him down and then he wasn't the same player. Look at his numbers in the AHL,

at 20,
58-17-21-38

at 21,
32-7-12-19

at 22,
54-7-17-24

So in his first year he put up 5 less points then he would do in the next 2 years and that's with getting top 6 ice time every year just that this past season he had terrible linemates most of the time which was stupid imo. In his first season he had a .66 ppg which over 82 games would be 54 pts, so it's not like he doesn't have some skill.
The usual prospect treatment...under MT of course...the coach who thought he could do what Scotty Bowman used to do......

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We were talking about developing in the AHL, not the NHL.

They did a poor job of developing Scherbak's offense in the AHL. Moving him to center just after coming back from missing most of the season to injury, he had to take on much more while also trying to shake off the rust. Terrible idea imo. Then the next season they put him on the 3rd line and stick their best playmaker with Audette. They were the two youngest forwards on the team and both had questionable defensive games. It took Lefebvre most of the season to figure out that putting his best playmaker with his best snipers (Hudon/Terry) was a smart thing to do. Drove me nuts as a fan, so many games he had Scherbak tied to the hip of Audette.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
They did a poor job of developing Scherbak's offense in the AHL. Moving him to center just after coming back from missing most of the season to injury, he had to take on much more while also trying to shake off the rust. Terrible idea imo. Then the next season they put him on the 3rd line and stick their best playmaker with Audette. They were the two youngest forwards on the team and both had questionable defensive games. It took Lefebvre most of the season to figure out that putting his best playmaker with his best snipers (Hudon/Terry) was a smart thing to do. Drove me nuts as a fan, so many games he had Scherbak tied to the hip of Audette.

I think Scherbaks biggest problem is his injuries. Even last season when he had a great chance to carve an NHL role he gets injured. He needs to be healthy that is worse for him then where Lefbver played him. He has been injured pretty much every season. If he had stayed healthy last season I bet he would of managed to snag himself an NHL spot.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Scherbaks biggest problem is his injuries. Even last season when he had a great chance to carve an NHL role he gets injured. He needs to be healthy that is worse for him then where Lefbver played him. He has been injured pretty much every season. If he had stayed healthy last season I bet he would of managed to snag himself an NHL spot.

both injuries and shit coaches have impacted his development. He only played in 140 AHL games, that's less then 2 full seasons. But if you play him with waivers Shaw or Audette, you are wasting his talents. If he's not with guys can that convert his great passes, what's the point.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->