Trevor Timmins Discussion (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Tidbits from Basu's article on Timmins' conference call. First off, says this will the most Trevor Timmins draft that the team's ever had, take that the way you want ;)

He starts off by sharing an interesting answer TT gave two years ago when he was asked what he learned most about 2013 and his lackluster 2nd rounders. His answer made it sound like he was forced to prioritize size and that Lehkonen kind of prospects would have been his type of picks (then that tells me a guy like Petan was probably on his radar given that he was the poster boy of going for talent that year). Basu also speculates that a guy like Thrower, who MB raved about after his selection, might have been more of a GM pick than a HS pick.

Basu also talks about the change in mindset over drafting by needs last year and how this year might not be the case. He believes that this will give more freedom to the team to go with BPA. Since GMs usually attend the U18s and that they have been cancelled this year, there's less possibility of MB influencing some of the picks that will be made. GMs will have less of a sample to go on.

Also less pressure of turning it into a show for the crowd e.g. Leblanc pick or 2013 when NJ traded for Schneider. Finally, if the draft is done virtually, there are less chances of picks being traded (trading up or down) which means Timmins won't get c-blocked à la Hillis.

Reactions: montreal

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Tidbits from Basu's article on Timmins' conference call. First off, says this will the most Trevor Timmins draft that the team's ever had, take that the way you want ;)

He starts off by sharing an interesting answer TT gave two years ago when he was asked what he learned most about 2013 and his lackluster 2nd rounders. His answer made it sound like he was forced to prioritize size and that Lehkonen kind of prospects would have been his type of picks (then that tells me a guy like Petan was probably on his radar given that he was the poster boy of going for talent that year). Basu also speculates that a guy like Thrower, who MB raved about after his selection, might have been more of a GM pick than a HS pick.

Basu also talks about the change in mindset over drafting by needs last year and how this year might not be the case. He believes that this will give more freedom to the team to go with BPA. Since GMs usually attend the U18s and that they have been cancelled this year, there's less possibility of MB influencing some of the picks that will be made. GMs will have less of a sample to go on.

Also less pressure of turning it into a show for the crowd e.g. Leblanc pick or 2013 when NJ traded for Schneider. Finally, if the draft is done virtually, there are less chances of picks being traded (trading up or down) which means Timmins won't get c-blocked à la Hillis.

So Typical by Timmins, all the bad picks where someone else’s pick that they forced me to take, i wanted Kreider, John Carlson, Girard not that guy who busted!!! I would fire his sorry ass only for doing that nevermind the fact that he hasnt drafted one decent forward for a stretch of 6-7 years!!

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So Typical by Timmins, all the bad picks where someone else’s pick that they forced me to take, i wanted Kreider, John Carlson, Girard not that guy who busted!!! I would fire his sorry ass only for doing that nevermind the fact that he hasnt drafted one decent forward for a stretch of 6-7 years!!

It's still too early to tell for McCarron. :sarcasm::naughty:

Reactions: tealhockey

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Agreed. What a f***ing loser. It's as if Bergevin forced him to draft 5 busts in 6 years with the 1sts. I dont know why hes making it seem like Bergevin is forcing him to do any of this when Timmins HIMSELF wanted to trade up for Tinordi. I'm sure he has an excuse to justify the Galchenyuk pick when Bergevin wanted Rielly.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I was about to post the exact same thing but then thought ah screw it. I don't give a puck anymore. I'm sure TT will screw up this draft also. There will be only one bust this year in the top 15 and TT and his crack crew will be sure to find him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
it's long been my feeling that MB and or Churla had a big hand in that 2013 draft. It doesn't excuse Timmins other mistakes but then makes me wonder about other years since MB has been here. Really can't wait till he's fired but with Molson I don't know how many years it will take.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
it's long been my feeling that MB and or Churla had a big hand in that 2013 draft. It doesn't excuse Timmins other mistakes but then makes me wonder about other years since MB has been here. Really can't wait till he's fired but with Molson I don't know how many years it will take.

You can put aside half your feeling. According to prospects elite and Wikipedia, Churla was hired for the 13-14 season. Timmins has to find another scapegoat for his mistakes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The fact that they admit they have been drafting for need in the first round is ridiculous.

I get positional value if all else is the same.. but, for example, if they wanted scoring in this past draft but they had someone on their board who they identified as a #1 D man, and the best scorer they pegged as a complimentary top 6 winger.. you'd be stupid to go for the need.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
interesting interview, if you listen around the 19 min mark I wonder if those were thinly veiled shots at Bergevin. Timmins was asked about the current state of the prospect pool and how some rank it among the top in the NHL but others bring up their troubles in the 1st round. He brought up about finally have more picks in these last few years especially in the 2nd round. Then later he talked about how we need to have patience with these prospect. When he said that I instantly thought of MB rushing these kids to the NHL that aren't ready.

Reactions: Gains

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I like to listen the interviews of Timmins. Someone who knows what's talking about. He's really underappreciated tho...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There is no doubt that prospect development has been a huge problem for this organization since Bergevin came in (Lefebvre being a huge part of that). It also seems like the past year the development aspect has improved by leap and bound (although Kotkaniemi should have been demoted way earlier).

I have higher hope than ever to at least develop a couple NHL player with our current prospect.

I do think something changed in 2017 with Timmins/Habs, I don't know what but they seem to have been more focused on raw talent, hockey sense and skating than in the past where size/character was more of a factor.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
There is no doubt that prospect development has been a huge problem for this organization since Bergevin came in (Lefebvre being a huge part of that). It also seems like the past year the development aspect has improved by leap and bound (although Kotkaniemi should have been demoted way earlier).

I have higher hope than ever to at least develop a couple NHL player with our current prospect.

I do think something changed in 2017 with Timmins/Habs, I don't know what but they seem to have been more focused on raw talent, hockey sense and skating than in the past where size/character was more of a factor.

A bigger role on the scouting department for Churla ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

What changed is more darts in the 17+ draft years... especially in the 2nd round. When you have more darts, you can have a strategy of going after several types of talent

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What changed is more darts in the 17+ draft years... especially in the 2nd round. When you have more darts, you can have a strategy of going after several types of talent
I disagree. We had many darts in 2012, 2013 and failed to get anything significant.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Why only compare to 12 and 13?
Bergevin beginning and the only draft we had that many high draft picks. There is a significant improvement in term of our development/draft pick. I remember 2 years after the draft: Collberg, Thrower, Bozon, Bradley already looked like bust. The only little hope was on Hudon.

Now for 2017 there are still hopes for Poehling, Brook, Primeau and Fleury.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin beginning and the only draft we had that many draft picks.

But they were not deep drafts though. Weird to compare to two other cherry picked draft years. 17-19 is more like 05-07 in terms of draft power. We will see how it turns out but I bet you it's better than what you think at the moment. Our latest group is very solid.

I agree with what Timmins said. It's in line with what I have been saying for a few years now. You can have your own opinion

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Who does he blame for drafting Andrei Kostitsyn #10 OA in possibly the deepest draft of all time ? I mean the guy went out of his way to get some guy from Belarus who smoked and had epilepsy when the following players were still on board :

Jeff Carter
Dustin Brown
Brent Seabrook
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Brent Burns
Mike Richards
Corey Perry
Patrice Bergeron
Shea Weber
David Backes

You had to actively try to find a player of Kostitsyn's caliber or worse... but he did it ! I remember how he was all proud to say they had done extensive research into his condition and believed they could treat it... like he was some amazing find who would have gone even higher without that issue. Medical staff did their job but Mr. Timmins sure didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad