Trevor Smith

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
He is serving his purpose as a depth defender. That being said we have to remember he has been playing with some great players as well. I mean Lupul is no slouch.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Hes done well but at the end of the day we play BUF 2x and NYI.

Im guessing that Bozak wont be back until Saturday

JVR Holland Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Raymond Smith Kulemin
Mcclement Smithson Orr

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
When Bozak and Kadri are back

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Smithson-Holland
Mclaren-Mcclement-Orr

Lets be honest I think both Holland and Smithson are here to stay and here's why I think that:

1. We gave up a boatload of assets for Holland, no bloody way do I think he gets buried in the minors.

2. We struggle badly enough as it is on faceoffs, and Smithson's been solid, why send him down? The smart thing to do would be to keep him on either as the 3rd or 4th line C, he can help us in an area we are weak in.

thunderhawk905*

As of right now, it'd be a shame to see him get sent back down if he has another big game for us.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
When Bozak and Kadri are back

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Smithson-Holland
Mclaren-Mcclement-Orr

Lets be honest I think both Holland and Smithson are here to stay and here's why I think that:

1. We gave up a boatload of assets for Holland, no bloody way do I think he gets buried in the minors.

2. We struggle badly enough as it is on faceoffs, and Smithson's been solid, why send him down? The smart thing to do would be to keep him on either as the 3rd or 4th line C, he can help us in an area we are weak in.

you're forgetting Kulemin

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Holland - Kulemin
Smith - Mcclement- Orr/Smithson/Levio

Phaneuf - Franson
Rielly - Gardiner
Fraser/Ranger - Gunner

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Gotta keep Smith. He is coming off a three point game and his line is flying. Otherwise that "every game is a tryout" thing with the Marlies is just BS. Sending Smith down would be a very bad message.

Based on merit Bozak goes to the third line when he returns. Bozak has 3 assists at evens this year. Compare that with Smith

Smith is not a slow skater. He has this weird hunched over stride and he looks like he is hardly moving. However he has no problem keeping up with the play.

That weird stance is very balanced which is how he gets all those shots off from pucks all around him

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
He's been solid, I love these kind of players that rise to the opportunity when given a chance. This guy's never played top 6 minutes in the NHL before and he's playing his heart out just to stay with us, god bless him.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for Bozak. 1st line for a few years yet this no-name is already for tied for assists with him :laugh:.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
He will stay in the lineup even with Kadri+Bozak's return to the lineup. Probably between Orr and McLaren though, the Raymond-McClement-Kulemin line has done a good job at both ends of the rink for a couple of games now.

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
Smithson will be the one sent down/waived, not Holland or Smith.

Could also see them easing Bozak back into the lineup in the 3 hole after his injury

My guess for Thursday:

JVR Holland Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Raymond Bozak Kulemin
Smith McClemment Orr/McLaren

Then as Bozak gets back into game shape he switches spots with Holland

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Smith's been awesome. Don't see any excuse to send him down with the way he's played. With Kadri back, stick Smith on the 3rd line, McClement to 4th, and one of McLaren/Orr out.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Gotta keep Smith. He is coming off a three point game and his line is flying. Otherwise that "every game is a tryout" thing with the Marlies is just BS. Sending Smith down would be a very bad message.

Based on merit Bozak goes to the third line when he returns. Bozak has 3 assists at evens this year. Compare that with Smith

Smith is not a slow skater. He has this weird hunched over stride and he looks like he is hardly moving. However he has no problem keeping up with the play.

That weird stance is very balanced which is how he gets all those shots off from pucks all around him

Well once Kadri and Bozo return it's going to come down to this 2 of these 4 are staying up.

Ashton,Smithson,Smith,Holland.

Now you get into little nuances, like Bolland being out and what his role is on the team.

Smithson is crushing it on the draw and is doing the job on the PK, also adds size up the middle , gotta think he stays, he is filling holes/roles Bolo had. 4th line C pk/draw duties.

Down to 1 spot between Smith,Ashton,Holly.

Man, thats a real tough one to call, valid arguments could be made to keep or drop any of them.

Impossible to figure out what RC wants in his 13th forward. Might have to lean toward Ashton, most likely to get benched or hurt would be Orr,McLar, so i'll default into keeping the winger.

GenericFan2*

He's Mason Raymond without the speed; reliable with good hands, and the play doesn't seem to die on his stick. He's played well for us so far, but he's not good enough to crack our roster when healthy. A good 14th forward utility man to have tucked away in the minors.
MayRay is a pretty terrible comparison...

But, he's been really impressive; reliable and efficient. Plays similar to Bodie in that respect.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Smith has earned the early edge over Holland, it seems.

practice lines this morning:

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Smith - Clarkson
McClement - Smithson - Orr
Ashton - Bozak - McLaren

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Smith has earned the early edge over Holland, it seems.

practice lines this morning:

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Smith - Clarkson
McClement - Smithson - Orr
Ashton - Bozak - McLaren

As he should.

Also once Bozak comes back, barring further injuries, Holland gets sent down.

moonbal

Apr 29, 2013
Pillsbury Toronto
Smith has been great. I don't see them sending him down. And he goes to the net, which only JVR seems to do on regular basis.
It'll probably be Smithson that's going down.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Smith played good but he scored the goal in the first 20 seconds and was invisible until he passed it to Clarkson. He deserves to be on the lineup still because I mean how can you demote him after a day like that, but he wasn't great by any means.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
It looks like Smith will get a chance. I like Bozak but if we end up resigning Bolland it looks like he might be on his way out with Holland/Smith/McKegg looking to take a spot.

Until Bolland gets back:
JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Smith - Clarkson
Raymond - Bozak - Kulemin
McClement - Smithson - Orr/McLaren

Sent to AHL
Ashton/Holland

Next Year
JVR - Holland - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Levio - Bolland - Kulemin/Raymond (Only one can likely be re-signed)
(Smith as our number 1 callup)

Move Bozak with pieces to upgrade our D

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
It looks like Smith will get a chance. I like Bozak but if we end up resigning Bolland it looks like he might be on his way out with Holland/Smith/McKegg looking to take a spot.

Until Bolland gets back:
JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Smith - Clarkson
Raymond - Bozak - Kulemin

Sent to AHL
Ashton/Holland

Next Year
JVR - Holland - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Levio - Bolland - Kulemin/Raymond (Only one can likely be re-signed)
(Smith as our number 1 callup)

Move Bozak with pieces to upgrade our D

Holland the new Bozak??? I know he didn't look bad, but he is not just gonna go from an AHL'r to a #1C NHL guy. Guy is a depth guy, third liner, and frankly he would be the 4th guy on the depth chart.

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Bolland-Clarkson
Holland-McClement-Raymond/Kuli
Ashton-Smithson/Smith-Orr/McLaren

Though I think Bozak will still be here, prob a 3C with McClement moving down or to the wing

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
Holland the new Bozak??? I know he didn't look bad, but he is not just gonna go from an AHL'r to a #1C NHL guy. Guy is a depth guy, third liner, and frankly he would be the 4th guy on the depth chart.

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Bolland-Clarkson
Holland-McClement-Raymond/Kuli
Ashton-Smithson/Smith-Orr/McLaren

Though I think Bozak will still be here, prob a 3C with McClement moving down or to the wing

That was for next year I don't think he will keep that position this year. I am in the camp that we don't need our best centre with JVR and Kessel. They need someone with some skill, some size, who can win faceoffs, and fairly good defensively.

I think that this:
JVR - Bozak/Holland/Whoever - Kessel <- Has proven to put up big numbers
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson <- Elite second line
Levio - Bolland - Kulemin/Raymond <- Great shutdown with timely goals

Would be more consistent than:
JVR - Kadri - Kessel <- Higher upside but not as defensively responsible
Lupul - Bolland - Clarkson <- Shutdown line with scoring
Levio - Bozak/Holland/whoever - Kulemin/Raymond <- Defensively responsible and adds some scoring

and you would get fairly consistent scoring from all 3 lines while not having them be defensively irresponsible.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pretty solid player right now, but I think he'll slow down soon, just in time with Bozak and Kadri back. He's a very average skater but he's got good puck skills and seems like a smart hockey player.

Really good depth signing from Nonis.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Holland will play top 9, or AHL. Wouldn't be fair to him to play 4th line minutes. Same with Smith, but he could translate easier to a 4th line role of the two.

With Smithson and Smith though could be dandy, not really a 4th line but a scoring threat deep.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kadri has big shoes to fill statistically when he returns as Smith had 2 goals and 5 points in the 3 games as his replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad