Signing(s): Trevor Bauer signs with the Dodgers (3 years, $102 million)

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Says more about those teams than the Dodgers
No its says a lot about the state of MLB. The only thing which keeps MLB from being a complete joke is the Rays; they validate the "see you don't need to spend alot to compete for a World Series" argument.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
...and here I am living across the arroyo always being furious at the Pirates instead of bailing to the team with the most inverse philosophy possible because...?

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
It’s not just that the Dodgers have a financial advantage over almost everyone on spending money on free agents, they have the advantage of spending money on hiring the best scouts and player development, best facilities, and most of all, keeping their homegrown talent once their contracts are almost up. Cheap teams like the Rays can say they can grow their own talent but they can’t keep it. That’s the difference.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
...and here I am living across the arroyo always being furious at the Pirates instead of bailing to the team with the most inverse philosophy possible because...?
That stadium man. Just be glad you don't have to traverse a traffic hellhole to see your team. For now, I guess... otherwise yeah, you Pirates fans have been done extremely wrong. Pens and Steelers success should help though.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Dodgers were the best team in MLB last year, from start to finish. Now they have gotten even better.

They had inconsistent and questionable pitching last year once you got past Kershaw and Buehler. That is no longer a weakness for them.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
That stadium man. Just be glad you don't have to traverse a traffic hellhole to see your team. For now, I guess... otherwise yeah, you Pirates fans have been done extremely wrong. Pens and Steelers success should help though.

Im puzzled, Pittsburgh has done right towards the Steelers and Penguins with stable good ownership/management.

It’s like after 1979, it all went downhill.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Oh I live in LA...I have to traverse a traffic hellhole just to get to my car :laugh:

Just a dig at living closer to Dodger Stadium than I ever did Three Rivers or PNC and my demented sense of loyalty to an organization that despises joy. I have to drive past Dodger Stadium if I'm heading basically anywhere else that can loosely be called Los Angeles or Hollywood (east is the Inland Empire, south is Orange County, north is flammable mountains).

Loyalty is stupid and dumb when it's a one-way street. Maybe this'll be the year I can put a Dodgers game on in the background without pangs of guilt as if I'm cheating on something even capable of feeling shame.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
And this is why people were afraid of Friedman having a big boy payroll.

They develop prospects at a great rate and they also have money to throw at literally whoever they want.

They're the new Yankees except more efficient.
Yanks always had the Jeets, Rivera’s and Bernie Williams’ of the world, but they hardly developed surrounding talent. I agree that that’s the huge difference between them.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I hope he does a live feed when his friend banks on the bet. I want to see him getting hit in the nuts with a paintball from 10 feet out

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
No its says a lot about the state of MLB. The only thing which keeps MLB from being a complete joke is the Rays; they validate the "see you don't need to spend alot to compete for a World Series" argument.
You don't need to spend like Dodgers to win.

Look at what padres did this offseason and tell me teams like Pirates are not the ones to blame.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Oh I live in LA...I have to traverse a traffic hellhole just to get to my car :laugh:

Just a dig at living closer to Dodger Stadium than I ever did Three Rivers or PNC and my demented sense of loyalty to an organization that despises joy. I have to drive past Dodger Stadium if I'm heading basically anywhere else that can loosely be called Los Angeles or Hollywood (east is the Inland Empire, south is Orange County, north is flammable mountains).

Loyalty is stupid and dumb when it's a one-way street. Maybe this'll be the year I can put a Dodgers game on in the background without pangs of guilt as if I'm cheating on something even capable of feeling shame.

It took me a long time, went to at least a few games a year every year since 1987, 2018 was the first year I didn't attend any based on a personal boycott/ being fed up over the poor returns for Cutch and Cole. Skipped 2019, and obviously last year was a washout, still watched them on tv and they were the main reason I kept paying for cable. Finally washed my hands of them completely now and cut the cable off, I think I am ready to move on to a new team and I'll just watch the new team on streams or something..... it almost feels like I am a recovered alcoholic

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

Look at what padres did this offseason and tell me teams like Pirates are not the ones to blame.

A team might not have to spend like the Dodgers to win, however teams do need to spend a lot if they want to be competitive on a yearly basis. Otherwise, it's a situation where you hope to win during a three-year window of opportunity before you have to trade players for prospects (or loss them to free agency) and rebuild for your next chance to win. MLB really needs a salary cap and floor.

Reactions: DueDiligence

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Dodgers have $ to spend and are maximizing contending windwo

Cant really bash them for it

We all wish our teams had the SP depth and payroll resources they have
That's the point; most teams don't have revenue streams anywhere close to the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs etc. It's like the Premier League in soccer where it's a shock if one of the top 5 revenue earners don't win it all.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

How long are the Padres going to keep a $157 million dollar payroll if they are losing huge amounts of money? I give them 2 years until they start shedding salaries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad