Tretiak, the Canadiens, and the Flyers

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Physical play is fine.
But they took it to such a different level, complete thuggery, goonery, etc., (not only vs the Russians, in the NHL as well), I can't understand when I watch the tapes where the appeal in that sort of play was, or how people can defend the cheap shots going on all over the ice.
They got away with it that night and on many others, but I don't see a reason to praise that sort of (non)hockey as something great.
This as a whole, this as a bolded part especially.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Just as I can't believe anyone who has seen the whole game (and not just some selected 'highlights'), and doesn't have 'the Soviet glasses' on, does not admit that the Flyers beat Red Army IN EVERY FACET OF THE GAME. In which area was CSKA better, I dare you to answer? Shooting? No. Passing? No. Defensive play? Hell no. Goaltending? Well, Tretiak did what he could, and was basically the only Soviet player who was near at his own level. I could maybe understand if the Flyers had begun to dominate only after the Kharlamov-Van Impe incident, but CSKA was totally outplayed from the start.

Admittedly this game is far more famous than it should be - just as the Boston game in the same series is far less famous than it should be (brilliant hockey) - but I've rarely seen such utter domination in such a big game. Even with their less-than-full lineup, CSKA should have found some way to... well, to make something/anything(!) happen. But no; regroup regroup regroup, bad passes, giveaways, total chaos in their own zone...

But such is the bad reputation of the Bullies that even when they genuinely outclass another supposedly great team = no credit whatsoever :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad