Prospect Info: Trent Miner, Goalie, Pick 202

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
A former 1st round WHL draft pick, Miner had a phenomenal rookie season this year. Coming in to the year as a backup, Miner pushed Arizona draft pick David Tendeck all year and finished with a 1.98 GAA and a .924 save percentage.

Miner is undersized but excels with excellent positioning. He does an excellent job of reading the play as it develops and is great at putting himself in a position to make the save. Miner is rarely caught scrambling and has a calming effect on his team when he’s in net. Miner is fluid post to post but isn’t explosive, and is not the type to make the highlight reel desperation save. He frequently has the saves he should make but lacks the ability to steal a goal from the opposition. He is a plus puck handler who does a good job coming out to stop the puck behind his net and puts his defensemen in good positions. Miner has an excellent understanding of the game and is an excellent junior goalie, however his lack of size or elite athleticism could be a hindrance at higher levels of play.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I made his prospect thread on he main boards. Fantastic value for a 7th round pick.

This is what I said about him...

This time I want to focus on Miner who is going a bit unnoticed and not sure that's fair. He has okay/decent size and is really one of those jack-of-all-trade goalers who has above-average skill in all categories while possessing nothing elite. That might sound bad, but in terms of goaltending it isn't because he isn't as raw as someone like Soegaard. Not only that, but there are some traits I quite like in his game such as his intelligence to read the play while it's transpiring/developing. That and his ability to make big time saves are two of the most important strengths you want a goaler to have. Again, I am not saying he's elite in those areas either, but he has really impressed me this season and he's a darkhorse for me since everyone talks about Soegaard and Maier instead. Personally speaking, I think this lad is better than both of them. If I was going to make a comparison, he reminds me of Thomas Greiss and I think that might also be accurate for his potential as well.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Strange that 6'0-6'1 is considered small for the Modern Day Goalie.

Either way, this is a much better pick than some of the other goalies they've taken late.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Great value pick. The goaltending position is more about the mind than athletism or measurables.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I didn't watch a younger Gru however if Miner works on his physical parts of the game he definitely has that Grubauer potential.
I guess I phrased that wrong. I didn't mean a younger Gru. It has benn said about the "today" Gru that he brings calmness to the player in front of him. That specific attribute along with the style and size seem to me that Miner compares well to the current Gru. Sorry for the confusion.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I guess I phrased that wrong. I didn't mean a younger Gru. It has benn said about the "today" Gru that he brings calmness to the player in front of him. That specific attribute along with the style and size seem to me that Miner compares well to the current Gru. Sorry for the confusion.

No need to apologize. We definitely have a potential Gru on our hands in Miner. He's got work to do though obviously.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
6'1" is small for a goalie these days, eh?

Nice to see Gigantor likes the pick, Cat Silverman's take on MHH makes me think this is a fantastic value selection.
Yeah 6'1" is fine with me as long as they don't play small. For example Gru is 6'1" as well but he plays big in his net while Varly is 6'2" but I always feel he plays small. IMO Varly looks more like a 6'0" goalie in net but his athleticism compensate for how he stands in the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->