trent hunter aside, who's this seasons next best rookie forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Sammy said:
Or whether a guy is coming off surgery?

All I am saying is that there are alot of things that must be considered when determining who has been the best rookie this year. And I think that several factors should be considered when picking the calder and I think his age, 1st year in north america, playing on a brutal team and his injury are all factors contributing to his less than productive first part of the year. I don`t think there are too many people who would argue he has been the best rookie since the all star break.

Sammy*

Chelios said:
All I am saying is that there are alot of things that must be considered when determining who has been the best rookie this year. And I think that several factors should be considered when picking the calder and I think his age, 1st year in north america, playing on a brutal team and his injury are all factors contributing to his less than productive first part of the year. I don`t think there are too many people who would argue he has been the best rookie since the all star break.
IMO, its irrelevent how old he is, whether its his 1st or 20th year in NA , & his pre year injury status. The only thing that should count is his play & his play alone over the course the year.
BTW, imo he is the leading candidate for the Calder.

Harry

Mar 13, 2004
Victoria BC
blueliner said:
not only in terms of how well they've acquitted themselves this season, but with regard to thier likely impact over the next 5 years or so...long-term value.

- patrice bergeron?
- pierre marc bouchard?
- michael ryder?
- matt stajan?
- eric staal?
- nik zherdev?
any others you can make a case for?
Pitkanen

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'd say with the departure of Ron Francis, Eric Staal is going to put up some very gaudy numbers next season when he is given the 1st line centerman position and possibly the captaincy. I'm marking him down for 60 next year.

3 games without Francis this year, 4 points for Staal.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
I'd say with the departure of Ron Francis, Eric Staal is going to put up some very gaudy numbers next season when he is given the 1st line centerman position and possibly the captaincy. I'm marking him down for 60 next year.

3 games without Francis this year, 4 points for Staal.

Would they really give him the C? I mean, even if guys like Brindamour and O'neill are still around? I'm not going against what you're saying, i'm just curious because i havne't heard much of anything about the Canes.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Pens4ever said:
Would they really give him the C? I mean, even if guys like Brindamour and O'neill are still around? I'm not going against what you're saying, i'm just curious because i havne't heard much of anything about the Canes.

O'Neill isn't considered Captain material for the simple reason that he's a bit self-centered at times and hasn't ever really been considered a team player. In addition to that, he wasn't even assured a place on the team this season had he not gotten injured around the deadline. What kind of message would it send about the organization if their Captain was almost certainly traded except for his injury? With his subpar season this year, he'll probably not even be in contention for an "A".

Rod Brind'Amour is probably in the same productivity boat as Jeff O'Neill. However, if Staal doesn't get the "C", then i'd expect it to go to Brindy. Usually when a team feels they have a franchise type player, they will put the "C" on their chest as soon as possible to get them used to that type of pressure. It happened with Yzerman, Francis, LeCavalier, Lindros, and the list goes on and on.

With the youth movement about to start, it wouldn't shock me a bit to see Eric Staal wearing the "C" next season.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nothing good can come out of handing a 19 year old the 1st line center job AND the captaincy.

Nothing.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Nothing good can come out of handing a 19 year old the 1st line center job AND the captaincy.

Nothing.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I honestly think it depends on the type of player you're dealing with when you make a decision like that. If it's an emotionally fragile kid, then yes it's a mistake. If it's a kid that you know is going to respond by simply working harder, then you're just motivating him even more to develop his leadership skills and hockey skills.

I think Staal is the type of player that would respond by working harder. His work ethic is already amazing and it's the great ones who respond well to a challenge and that is what I see Staal doing. Is it a gamble? It sure is. However, i'd trust the organization to know Staal's character makeup enough to know if they could trust him with this honor yet.

For the record, he turns twenty early in the season. :p

No Quarter*

Another spectacular goal by Ryan Malone, the most underappriciated rookie on these boards.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
If he was so underappriciated then

jimmy page said:
Another spectacular goal by Ryan Malone, the most underappriciated rookie on these boards.

why are there so many replies praising him, with all the Praising going on underrating is the last thing going for Malone, if anyting he's starting to get bit much credit!!

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
jimmy page said:
Malone has done great, but with Raycroft leading the Bruins, Hunter leading the Isles and Ryder leading all rookies and almost leading the Habs in scoring one has to over look the kid when it comes to the top 3.

He is a great player and the Pens arte going to be good for years to come with him and the many others they are developing.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Tophu said:
The Calder is a season long award... not a half-a-season award.

And where is the word 'calder' mentioned in the original post?

fact of the matter is, Ruutu is one of the best rookies NOW.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Marc the Habs Fan said:
Time to change the title of this thread, Michael Ryder aside who's this seasons next best rookie forward. :teach:

I second that.
Ryder has been the best rookie forward this season, as simple as that.
Michael is a model of constancy.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Teemu08 said:
And where is the word 'calder' mentioned in the original post?

fact of the matter is, Ruutu is one of the best rookies NOW.

Okay, stop nit-picking the guy. According to the NHL: "The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League." I'm sure the poster made the simple potential link between that and "best rookie forward" and assumed (almost correctly...) that anyone on this board would understand.

And besides the fact that Ruutu is 20 points back in the rookie scoring "race", he also has by far the worst +/- on the team. According to TSN, he has 3 pts in his last 5 games and is -3, so while he might have been the best rookie between Mar. 7 and Mar. 12, he isn't right NOW.

db23

blueliner said:
not only in terms of how well they've acquitted themselves this season, but with regard to thier likely impact over the next 5 years or so...long-term value.

- patrice bergeron?
- pierre marc bouchard?
- michael ryder?
- matt stajan?
- eric staal?
- nik zherdev?

db23

This is a ridiculous thread. Michael Ryder and a few other forwards are clearly better than Trent Hunter already. Bouchard is not even a rookie. Considering the fact that Hunter is 24 years old already, I would say that pretty well all of the 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 year old rookie forwards will be better in the long run.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
db23 said:
This is a ridiculous thread. Michael Ryder and a few other forwards are clearly better than Trent Hunter already. Bouchard is not even a rookie. Considering the fact that Hunter is 24 years old already, I would say that pretty well all of the 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 year old rookie forwards will be better in the long run.

The thread is also a month old.

It was a debatable thread when it was made though, but now it's just blasphemous.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
1. Malone
2. Ryder (that guy has one hell of a shot)
3. Hunter

All three are incredibly talented.

VanCanuck

May 9, 2003
Vancouver, BC
blueliner said:

- patrice bergeron?
- pierre marc bouchard?
- michael ryder?
- matt stajan?
- eric staal?
- nik zherdev?

Patrice Bergeron and Nik Zherdev are the top rookie forwards IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->