trent hunter aside, who's this seasons next best rookie forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
JoseTheo said:
Trent Hunter aside? Last I checked Michael Ryder was leading rookies in points and closing on on the goal lead.. so lets put Micahel Ryder and Trent Hunter aside here..

In which case I would have to say that the next best rookie forward is Ryan Malone for pittsburgh. He has 19 goals for the worst team in the NHL.. could you imagine if he played for a team where he had other players to set him up? I'm kind of suprised to see not too many of you mentioned him. No competition Ryan Malone is the next best rookie forward.

20 goals, 4 game winners, 3 of which are OT winners

No Quarter*

JoseTheo said:
Trent Hunter aside? Last I checked Michael Ryder was leading rookies in points and closing on on the goal lead.. so lets put Micahel Ryder and Trent Hunter aside here..

In which case I would have to say that the next best rookie forward is Ryan Malone for pittsburgh. He has 19 goals for the worst team in the NHL.. could you imagine if he played for a team where he had other players to set him up? I'm kind of suprised to see not too many of you mentioned him. No competition Ryan Malone is the next best rookie forward.

As of yesterday, 20 goals, 4 being game winners, 3 of the 4 coming in OT.
And another point people probably don't know is that Ryan is a power forward 1st and formost, and most people think of garbage goals or rebounds around the net. Well let me tell you at least 2 thirds of his goals were fantastic plays set up by his great stickhandling and top notch hockey sense.
Honestly, I think the people who think Ryder, Hunter, Bergeron, ETC. hands down should be the front runners for the Calder should try to watch a few more Pens games and you'll see Malone may be the best of the bunch.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
jimmy page said:
As of yesterday, 20 goals, 4 being game winners, 3 of the 4 coming in OT.
And another point people probably don't know is that Ryan is a power forward 1st and formost, and most people think of garbage goals or rebounds around the net. Well let me tell you at least 2 thirds of his goals were fantastic plays set up by his great stickhandling and top notch hockey sense.
Honestly, I think the people who think Ryder, Hunter, Bergeron, ETC. hands down should be the front runners for the Calder should try to watch a few more Pens games and you'll see Malone may be the best of the bunch.

How about when he faked out Spezza 1 on 1 for a goal, or even better when he walked around Pronger like he was walking his dog and put the puck between Prongers legs and slammed home a goal, or his 1 on 2 short handed goal (forget what team) like jimmy page has said most of his goals are solid 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 goals were Malone single handedly beats defenders and the goalie, these arent goals set up by his team mates

No Quarter*

Grave77digger said:
How about when he faked out Spezza 1 on 1 for a goal, or even better when he walked around Pronger like he was walking his dog and put the puck between Prongers legs and slammed home a goal, or his 1 on 2 short handed goal (forget what team) like jimmy page has said most of his goals are solid 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 goals were Malone single handedly beats defenders and the goalie, these arent goals set up by his team mates

I'm telling you brother, this dude will be a perrenial threat for 50 goals once he gets a couple quality players around him.

No Quarter*

Grave77digger said:

Also watch out for Konstantine Koltsov in about 2 or 3 years.
With his speed and tenacious style of play, that dude will be something special.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004

dvaske

Apr 29, 2002
NEW YORK CITY
Visit site
ArtVandelei said:
Give me Ryder over Hunter any day.

The offensive stats everone knows:
While trialing Ryder in total points by 4 Hunter has played 6 less games (isles have a game at hand over MTL plus missed 5 to injury)
Trent leads all rookies in goals (22)
Which makes the two a toss up.

Everyone over looks this:

While Ryder is a respecable +6
Hunter is a +20

He's compiled his great rookie offensive stats while not overlooking his own end of the ice. He finishes every check, never takes lazy penalties, and reads and breaks up more plays than any other rookie forward.

Ryder is a great forward, no doubt, but Hunter is most complete hockey player of the bunch.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
Just to contradict you Ryder is even better two way player!!!

dvaske said:
The offensive stats everone knows:
While trialing Ryder in total points by 4 Hunter has played 6 less games (isles have a game at hand over MTL plus missed 5 to injury)
Trent leads all rookies in goals (22)
Which makes the two a toss up.

Everyone over looks this:

While Ryder is a respecable +6
Hunter is a +20

He's compiled his great rookie offensive stats while not overlooking his own end of the ice. He finishes every check, never takes lazy penalties, and reads and breaks up more plays than any other rookie forward.

Ryder is a great forward, no doubt, but Hunter is most complete hockey player of the bunch.

Just because most of his points come during POwer play, you can't say he's inferior to Hunter, +/- are misleading stats as ryder has been very responsible on both ends of the ice!!

#44_delivers

Dec 21, 2003
edmonton
Habs4ever said:
Just because most of his points come during POwer play, you can't say he's inferior to Hunter, +/- are misleading stats as ryder has been very responsible on both ends of the ice!!
thats right ryder has the most pp points for all rookies this year by a fair margin if im not wrong.
you dont get a + on the power play goals scored which hes on the ice a lot of.
either way this is one great year for rookies best in a long long time(the depth that is) i think both ryder and hunter will be solid players for years to come

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
stardog said:
Again, I am not downplaying anyone here. I am simply stating that Malone plays a much larger role (out of neccesity) and that while Bostons defense may be weak, he certainly gets more support from them than Malone does from Pittsburgh's group of forwards. I dont even see how that can be argued. Bostons defense is much better than Pittsburgh's offense.

And comparing Raycrofts numbers to Potvin's is like comparing Tarnstrom's to Bergevin's. Raycroft is simply the better goalie, and deserving of his Calder hype status.

I don't know how you can compare Malone's importance to his team with Raycroft's. There is no more important postion in hockey than goaltender. Without Raycroft, you could argue that the Bruins may not be a playoff team. Without Malone maybe Pittsburgh has 46 losses instead of 43. There is no bigger role than the one Raycroft is playing in Boston.

Malone is a good player, I'm not arguing that, but someone on Pittsburgh has to score goals, it just happens to be Malone. On any other team he'd probably be in the AHL.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
weaponomega said:
I don't know how you can compare Malone's importance to his team with Raycroft's. There is no more important postion in hockey than goaltender. Without Raycroft, you could argue that the Bruins may not be a playoff team. Without Malone maybe Pittsburgh has 46 losses instead of 43. There is no bigger role than the one Raycroft is playing in Boston.

Malone is a good player, I'm not arguing that, but someone on Pittsburgh has to score goals, it just happens to be Malone. On any other team he'd probably be in the AHL.

I dont believe I compared Malone's importance to his team with that of Raycroft. I believe what I compared is the relative role each player shares with his team. There is a vast difference. Malone, in my opinion, has played the role of the teams best player.
Perhaps you feel the same about Raycroft.
At any rate, my statement wasn't about the importance of the player to the success of the team, but about the role each has on his team.
Raycroft has made his team better no doubt. Perhaps they may not make the playoffs without him, perhaps they would.
Perhaps Malone is only worth three more wins and perhaps not.
Your post is full of speculation. And in that speculation you are downplaying the role of Malone's importance to his team while building up Raycrofts.
Certainly, if you would like my opinion, Raycroft has been more important to his team this season for the reasons that you have stated, though that has nothing to do with my post that you commented on.
I also stated that the role he has played is neither greater nor less in my opinion, so in saying so, I must point out that I have not said Malone is more important.

As for your "someone has to score the goals" theory, I actually am humored every time I hear that. No, noone has to score goals. Put you and I on the team, along with other posters on this board and guess what. You go a whole 82 schedule season with nobody scoring any goals.
It takes talent to score goals. It takes talent to score 20 goals. It takes talent to score 20 as a rookie.
You may not have meant to do it, but you have seriously downplayed Malone's achievments this year by suggesting that his goals have come because "someone has to score". Or that they came by chance.
Watch him play with any sort of frequency, and you will find the great error in that statment. Malone scores his goals, because he deserves to score them. He scores through talent, drive, skill and determination. Suggesting otherwise shows ignorance in Malone's game.

Finally, saying that he would be in the AHL on most any other team is also a slap in the face to what he has accomplished.It is pure speculation with no actual way to prove it in its theory. I don't know any team in the league currently that he couldnt play on. Let alone "MOST teams".
Perhaps you meant he would not have recieved the chance to showcase his game on some other teams. That may be a more accurate statement. He could, however, play on the other teams in this league right now.

No Quarter*

weaponomega Malone is a good player said:
First off, this is a thread about rookie forwards.
Second, I can't believe you made that statement about Malone being a minor leaguer on any other squad in the NHL.
Your probably one of those fans that never checks out any other games when your team isn't playing.
Hey Einstein, why don't you try watching Ryan play more games than when the Pens play your home team.
At least most of the Boston, NYI, Montreal, and Philly fans are giving Malone the respect he deserves and are admitting it's a close race for the Calder.
That assnine statement I quoted shows your Knowledge of the sport and how much attention you pay to the NHL as a whole. ;)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
weaponomega said:
Isn't this thread about forwards?

Disagree. Any team that awards performance in training camp/preseason would have given Malone a roster spot to start the season. And I think there's a good chance his numbers would be significantly better on a more talent-laden team.

No Quarter*

Jacobv2 said:
Isn't this thread about forwards?

Disagree. Any team that awards performance in training camp/preseason would have given Malone a roster spot to start the season. And I think there's a good chance his numbers would be significantly better on a more talent-laden team.

I agree, that clown has no clue on what he's talking about.
At least most of the other posters that favor Hunter, Bergeron, Ryder, ETC. are giving due respect to Malone.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
ArtVandelei said:
Give me Ryder over Hunter any day.

The thing is, Ryder is playing with a playmaker in Ribs. Hunter has been scattered with various guys throughout the season. That's the amazing thing I love about Hunter. He's been the guy Steve Stirling has put on struggling lines to get them going. Amazing success under such pressure for a rookie to perform.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
Brain Hemorrhage said:
The thing is, Ryder is playing with a playmaker in Ribs. Hunter has been scattered with various guys throughout the season. That's the amazing thing I love about Hunter. He's been the guy Steve Stirling has put on struggling lines to get them going. Amazing success under such pressure for a rookie to perform.

in that regard hunter and malone a very similar, its still pretty obvious ryder and hunter play with better players than malone

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
First of all, I know this is a thread for rookie forwards. I was just responding to another post that someone else made.

Second, stardog, I'll admit I misread your post, (I read it around 1 in the morning after finishing up some work) but I do stand by some of the things that I said. If you read my post, I credited Malone as a good player, but I still believe that he wouldn't be putting up the same numbers he is if he were playing on a different team. Malone plays a very prominent role in Pittsburgh. I know that they didn't throw him into that role and hope he runs with it, but rather he assumed it with solid play. However, I believe that he wouldn't have been given the oppurtunity to play the kinds of minutes he does had he been playing on MOST other teams. Just because of the fact he is a rookie, he'd probably be playing on a third or fourth line and not getting the minutes he does now, or he'd be in the AHL. (I know this is an assumption, but I believe it is a fair one to make)

It may sound like I'm doing a lot of Malone bashing, but I'm not. I like him, I've seen him play, and I'd love to see him in a B's uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->