trent hunter aside, who's this seasons next best rookie forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueliner

Tough Building
Sep 18, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
not only in terms of how well they've acquitted themselves this season, but with regard to thier likely impact over the next 5 years or so...long-term value.

- patrice bergeron?
- pierre marc bouchard?
- michael ryder?
- matt stajan?
- eric staal?
- nik zherdev?
any others you can make a case for?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For this year, Ryder is up there with Hunter, just a bit under IMO.

Since you're talking long-term value..

Eric Staal and Nikolai Zherdev

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
jimmy page said:
Ryan Malone

Ditto. He's doing it in spite of the lack of supporting cast and in trying times.

Ryder and Hunter have had nice seasons, but I see Malone's production in the face of future uncertainty, prolonged losing and no help to be outstanding feats.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The thing about Malone is that he's not just another big guy going to the net. He can stickhandle, pass, and makes smart plays (like feathering the puck down the ice to avoid icing). He also hustles back on D too so his all around game is already pretty good.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Of the rookies i've seen this year, i would say that Eric Staal has the greatest chance to be a real impact player in the next few seasons.

In terms of their impact this season, well i think that Ryder has been as good as any rookie forward. He's been a huge part of the Habs offence this year.

Pensfan66

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Malone should easily win the calder just because he almost has no supoprting cast. That goal he scored against the Sens the other day was amazing. Remember also he wasn't even supposed to make the team this year and look what he's done. Begeron has been great and Stall will be awesome. Nathan Horton was doing well for the Panthers. Who knows what kind of numbers he would have put up if he weren't injured?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Pensfan66 said:
Malone should easily win the calder just because he almost has no supoprting cast. That goal he scored against the Sens the other day was amazing. Remember also he wasn't even supposed to make the team this year and look what he's done. Begeron has been great and Stall will be awesome. Nathan Horton was doing well for the Panthers. Who knows what kind of numbers he would have put up if he weren't injured?
I wouldn't say easily. Though he should a finalist this year IMO.

Anyway, I'd also go for Ryan Malone.

Last edited:

nordique

I don't see Malone having the upside of Staal or Zherdev. Kinda reminds me of Mark Parrish in his rookie year.

Truth be told, I'd say Nathan Horton of all the rookie forwards.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Bergeron.

He would be starting centre in Pittsburgh, and I doubt Malone would have cracked the B's line-up (over-all game)...

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Bergeron, because his individual talents and overall maturity at such a young age have impressed me the most out of any forward rookies, including Hunter.

Malone's a close second for me, because he has done a lot of his work by himself (including making the team, which no Pens fan expected or even thought would happen).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
tossup between Malone and Staal for me.

Staal: Best upside of any of the rookie forwards in the 2003 draft IMO. His play has been solid all-around this year and he just hasn't had luck on his side to put up the numbers that he's capable of... much like all too many of the Canes forwards this year.

Malone: Nobody expected too much from this guy, but he has some great moves and an even better scoring ability. He will be a solid player in this league, though I don't think he has the upside of any of the other forwards listed so far.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I've seen just about all of Eric Staal's pro games, and he's never had a bad one. He's been invisible a few times, but he's never had a game where you went "wow, that kid sure played bad tonight". I've been very impressed with his progress and rapid acclimation to the NHL game. He's probably the rookie this year that i'd say has the most upside growth potential.

As for the others, i've been really impressed with Matt Stajan. However, i'm not sure how much growth potential he has. He plays a really fantastic energy type game like a Kevyn Adams, but i'm still out on if he can put up the scoring numbers to match his effort. It's not a knock though, Kevyn is a great energy player.

Zherdev looks great with those slick moves. However, he needs to get his focus on defense or else he's going to be Chistov next season. Flashy player, just needs to work on the fundamentals a little more.

Pitkanen has fantastic upside as well. He's probably as close as we're going to get to the next generation Rob Blake. I'd say he's going to be a perenial all-star.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Jacobv2 said:
Bouchard isn't a rookie.

I'd make a case for Malone.

Damn straight. I can't believe he gets such little recognition.
Case in point...he wasnt even on the original posters list, yet a guy who has played half a season (though hes played it very well) and a guy who isnt even a rookie are!

I have been critical of Malone at times when I felt he has warranted it, but I also will step up and say that he gets little respect in discussions such as this, simply because he plays for the Pens.

Malone has been amongst the top five rookie forwards easily, and IMO is in the top three.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
nordique said:
I don't see Malone having the upside of Staal or Zherdev. Kinda reminds me of Mark Parrish in his rookie year.

Truth be told, I'd say Nathan Horton of all the rookie forwards.

Hey, thats a player I'd take. If Ryan Malone can turn into a Parrish, I'm all for that.

I thought we were talking about just this year.

Long term I dont see him having the upside of Stall, Horton or Zherdev. I think Zherdev will be the best when it is all said and done, but that of course, is just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad