Value of: Trent Frederic

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Definitely more than fair and some first round picks even bust out and don't make the NHL at all! It's just absolutely wild and untrue to suggest that a team hoped for a 4th liner out of a first round pick. It's diluted.

'deluded'

Genius. Now show yourself out.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I think you're confused. Never did I say Frederic was a bad player. He's a useful player for sure. You're letting your feelings and poor grammar get in the way of logical thought.

Frederic is a nice player but to say that a team would use a first round pick on a player and be completely thrilled with a 4th line grinder type 5-6 years later is just flat wrong. I am certain they hoped for more on draft day.

He made his debut as a 20 year in his first year as a pro after two full seasons of college.... On a veteran team that very much considers/considered themselves contenders. He's an NHL regular right now on a very good team playing a depth role. There is only so much opportunity on good teams. I think he's about on track for what they drafted him as. Maybe he'd have a bigger role and more games played on a team like Ottawa.... That wouldn't necessarily be good his development or make the pick any better.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think you're confused. Never did I say Frederic was a bad player. He's a useful player for sure. You're letting your feelings and poor grammar get in the way of logical thought.

Frederic is a nice player but to say that a team would use a first round pick on a player and be completely thrilled with a 4th line grinder type 5-6 years later is just flat wrong. I am certain they hoped for more on draft day.

Oh please stop your garbage posting. Picks in the high
20's to mid 30's are essentially coin flips.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Oh please stop your garbage posting. Picks in the high
20's to mid 30's are essentially coin flips.
Definitely a coin flip. I've already touched on this.

With that said, no team comes out of the draft saying 'we hope our 1st round pick can round out his career as a 4th liner'. The hope is always for more.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

With that said, no team comes out of the draft saying 'we hope our 1st round pick can round out his career as a 4th liner'. The hope is always for more.

You're 'diluted' here.

No one said they didn't hope for more. No one said they still don't hope for more. I said he was what they wanted/expected and remains on that track. You twisted that into saying they're 'trilled'.

With your terrible grammar and stupid points, you keep on twisting worlds. Then you tried to play grammar nazi and humiliated yourself on that front as well.

What are you contributing here? What are you doing in this thread?

You came here to say Frederic is a 4th line scrub? How many times have you watched him play? What about his game don't you like? What makes you sure he can't develop further?

Contribute something.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

I'm a B's fan who is not a huge TF fan btw. However
Gretzky said not a top 6 C so I think its safe to say they
expected a 3rd line career from him. At point he was
picked thats far from being a disappointment.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You're 'diluted' here.

No one said they didn't hope for more. No one said they still don't hope for more. I said he was what they wanted/expected and remains on that track. You twisted that into saying they're 'trilled'.

With your terrible grammar and stupid points, you keep on twisting worlds. Then you tried to play grammar nazi and humiliated yourself on that front as well.

What are you contributing here? What are you doing in this thread?

You came here to say Frederic is a 4th line scrub? How many times have you watched him play? What about his game don't you like? What makes you sure he can't develop further?

Contribute something.
Emotion typically doesn't help in a discussion. You've become very emotional.

NHL teams hope for more than a fourth liner out of their first round pick. That doesn't mean all first round picks become elite players. A lot of them bust. Getting a fourth liner out of a 1st round pick isn't an epic fail by any means. My point was simply that teams hope for more than a fourth liner our of their 1st round picl so to suggest that a player that is a fourth liner is exactly what a team hoped for when they made the pick as a first rounder is wrong.

I'll let you get the last word in. It seems important to you. Cheers!

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
"This guy gets pummelled by Brendan Lemieux, therefore he's untouchable." - Bruins fans.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

NHL teams hope for more than a fourth liner out of their first round pick. That doesn't mean all first round picks become elite players. A lot of them bust. Getting a fourth liner out of a 1st round pick isn't an epic fail by any means. My point was simply that teams hope for more than a fourth liner our of their 1st round picl so to suggest that a player that is a fourth liner is exactly what a team hoped for when they made the pick as a first rounder is wrong.

That wasn't your point. This was your point, in your exact words "To suggest that a team would use a first round pick on a player and be happy with a borderline 4th liner 5 years later leads me to believe that you 'no' nothing about anything and are just a massive homer."

You 'no' nothing about how teams 'picl' in the first round and nothing about Frederic.

giphy.webp

Root

Feb 22, 2010
"This guy gets pummelled by Brendan Lemieux, therefore he's untouchable." - Bruins fans.

Lemieux did well, he got in there quick and got a good hold. Frederic will learn from that, he’s not always going to be able to get time and space to get settled before he fights. I thought he rebounded well but Lemieux certainly won the fight.

Frederic is still learning the NHL and he’s doing a fine job playing his role. The points will come but for now I think most Bruins fans are happy with where he is. He is certainly adding an element that this team has lacked.

Leafs fans should know all to well about that missing element...It will play a role in them coming up short in the playoffs yet again, this year most likely against Montreal (I am saying that as a Bruins fan that hates Montreal far more than the Leafs).

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
You've basically made this same comment twice now in this thread. Do you have any value to add? Lemieux in his usual fashion jumped a guy, landed 10 punches before Trent was even ready to go and Lemieux still couldn't put him away... That is just sad. Somehow Brendan even managed to hurt those pillows he calls hand during that fight.

In terms of Trent's value, you'd be looking at a 3rd at best and that is probably a stretch. I like his game and his physicality but he doesn't have much offense at this point. Teams are only going to pay so much to add some toughness. His age may bump you up a pick since he still has potential/time to develop. Bruins are better off keeping him. He sparks the team. His fight against Wilson alone got the boys fired up and led to a huge 3rd period comeback. I'm interested to see him continue to progress. I'm loving the youth movement in Boston.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skelen

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
I'm doing just fine here. My point remains correct.

No, you are absolutely not correct. You thinking you are, does not make it so. This player was drafted to be developed into a powerhouse bottom 6er. He is on pace for just that role. It's shocking I know.

So many people have never talked to real hockey people. I have learned no teams use late round 1st picks for bottom 6 roles....fortunately I don't live my life believing what HF people tell me. I assure you. Teams have and will again use late 1sts to enhance bottom 6 positions

Reactions: Skelen

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I see you added a piece about Korskhov. No one would say that Korshkov has developed exactly how the Leafs had hoped when they used a second rounder on him. Kind of a strange point.

Korshkov is a 2nd round bust but has the same amount of points as the first rounder. Yikes. I guess Korshkov is exactly where we should have hoped he'd be as well.

This thread is about Frederic, though. Odd of you to bring up the Leafs unprovoked.

You are missing the point. Guess how many top 6 forward the 29OA has yielded in the last 20 years?

Zero. Not one. A few good d-men in 20 years, and no top 6 forwards.

I know your team doesn’t pick that late in the first, but it’s a huge crap shoot at that point in the draft. Bruins felt they had a shot to find a Boone Jenner type so they took it. Comparing it to the higher ceiling bust taken two pics later is totally justified. It’s pointing out that “highest ceiling” is not the same as “best player available”, or at least, most likely to be BPA 5 years later.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Anyway, silly to make a value of thread about this guy. Too early to say if offense will come, especially when he has been much better playing C in the AHL. If the offense comes and he is a Boone Jenner that is a much different value than an OK fourth liner.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If the offense comes and he is a Boone Jenner that is a much different value than an OK fourth liner.
I think he's slightly more limited. And there's a risk that what you see is what you get.
I do, however, see a good chance at becoming a very solid C with enough offense to not look out of place in the top-six and an edge that is rare these days. I'd put his ceiling closer to a Martin Hanzal than a Boone Jenner, but that's still an incredibly valuable piece for a team.
Teams that would be interested wouldn't be picking him up witha view to his being a fourth liner.

Reactions: wintersej

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He didn't get pummelled yesterday. He held his own. I'd agree the Brenden can out on top, but the Frederic was good. He played a solid game- it even sparked the creation of this thread.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
My thoughts on Frederic
Making good use of his limited skill set at this point interested to see how this evolves once teams get a better handle of his style of play.
Fighter makes sense for him, After watching him in college and the A seems to have a limited hockey IQ- but hopefully with experience that will develop. Smart enough to know in order to stay in the lineup he needs to fight.
Nice to see him have a few goals confidence building.
I do think being on a strong vet team helps in his development put him anywhere else not sure if the results would be so great at this point.
Not valuable at this point in trade but solid bottom 3 for the bruins.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

The Bruins drafted Frederic with the guess that his floor is an NHL 4th liner, doesn't seem that much of a stretch. That said, according to scouts, some in the management probably hoped that he could develop his offense a bit more, then they'd end up with a guy they potentially thought could be in the middle 6 (ceiling). He was supposed to take a more offensive role on his team after his draft year. Not saying remotely he'll get there or not, if you care enough go back to that year, there's plenty of draft guides that say the same about him, I at least remember that tidbit about him.

Of course every teams wants the best case scenario, but they picked they guy they wanted. And rightfully/wrongfully, I'm assuming they think he had/has more offensive upside. Whether he gets there, that's a different discussion.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Former first round pick still finding his game at the NHL level, who's also willing to drop the gloves with anybody. Prime Ryan Reaves was traded for a 1st from STL to Pitt. Many teams will pay a premium for toughness that can also skate a regular shift. Def not getting moved for a 4th or 5th.

This argument always grinds my gears, Ryan Reaves was not traded for a first, he was packaged with a mid second for 31st overall. The difference was like 10 or 15 spots in the draft I believe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->