Value of: Trent Frederic

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Bruins would not be interested in trading Frederick. Likely not happening.

Reactions: Laus723

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Not much. 4th liner who plays hard. 4th or 5th rounder if I guessed.
Former first round pick still finding his game at the NHL level, who's also willing to drop the gloves with anybody. Prime Ryan Reaves was traded for a 1st from STL to Pitt. Many teams will pay a premium for toughness that can also skate a regular shift. Def not getting moved for a 4th or 5th.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
He is worth more to Boston than anyone else.
Exactly.

He's not a worldbeater, and probably not currently worth his original equivalent draft spot (Don't think any team is going to throw a first round pick). Bruins aren't going to trade him for mid picks, if moved, he'd be a sweetener in a deadline deal, but can't see the Bruins actively trying to move him, unless another team really wanted him.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Former first round pick still finding his game at the NHL level, who's also willing to drop the gloves with anybody. Prime Ryan Reaves was traded for a 1st from STL to Pitt. Many teams will pay a premium for toughness that can also skate a regular shift. Def not getting moved for a 4th or 5th.

Ryan Reaves is also not getting his ass handed to him by Brendan Lemieux.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He's pretty much exactly what the Bruins wanted when they drafted him. I think they'll bring him along and try to develop some offense and/or see if he can play centre.

For a team where he's adding a valuable element and they're competing for the Cup, there's zero reason to trade him.

Even if you lose him in the expansion draft, it means you don't lose a valuable defensemen.

Reactions: Hookslide

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He's pretty much exactly what the Bruins wanted when they drafted him. I think they'll bring him along and try to develop some offense and/or see if he can play centre.

For a team where he's adding a valuable element and they're competing for the Cup, there's zero reason to trade him.

Even if you lose him in the expansion draft, it means you don't lose a valuable defensemen.
He might be what he is a third or fourth liner , but I also would not be surprised that he could be a late bloomer offensively . Right now we should be enjoying what he brings to the game, he is what they need right at this time .....

Reactions: BruinsBtn

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

I'm sure when the Bruins used a 1st round pick on him in 2016 they thought "if all goes well, he will have 1 career point in 30 NHL games 5 years from now".

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'm sure when the Bruins used a 1st round pick on him in 2016 they thought "if all goes well, he will have 1 career point in 30 NHL games 5 years from now".

Brad Marchand had 1 point in 20 games 5 years after they drafted him. Tom Wilson was a fourth liner 7 years after they drafted him.

“[Frederic] is not going to be a top-two-line guy, we know that,” Bruins director of amateur scouting Keith Gretzky told reporters at the draft. “But he has some jam. He plays hard with the penalty minutes. We were fortunate to get him. We believed he was our next guy and we really liked the projection of him as a staff. Everybody raved about him, his character is outstanding. He’s an athlete.”

TL;DR: You're wrong and no nothing about development and what you can expect to get at the end of the 1st round.

You do realize the Leafs drafted Korshkov 2 picks later and the Bruins wouldn't trade Frederic for 10 Korshkovs, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Brad Marchand had 1 point in 20 games 5 years after they drafted him. Tom Wilson was a fourth liner 7 years after they drafted him.

“[Frederic] is not going to be a top-two-line guy, we know that,” Bruins director of amateur scouting Keith Gretzky told reporters at the draft. “But he has some jam. He plays hard with the penalty minutes. We were fortunate to get him. We believed he was our next guy and we really liked the projection of him as a staff. Everybody raved about him, his character is outstanding. He’s an athlete.”

TL;DR: You're wrong and no nothing about development.
I 'no' quite a bit about development.

To suggest that a team would use a first round pick on a player and be happy with a borderline 4th liner 5 years later leads me to believe that you 'no' nothing about anything and are just a massive homer. Frederic has looked good in his role for sure but he has completely underwhelmed on what they expected from him when they used a first rounder on him.

If you are expecting the second coming of Marchand or Wilson, you're going to be deeply disappointed.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

TL;DR: You're wrong and no nothing about development and what you can expect to get at the end of the 1st round.

You do realize the Leafs drafted Korshkov 2 picks later and the Bruins wouldn't trade Frederic for 10 Korshkovs, right?
I see you added a piece about Korskhov. No one would say that Korshkov has developed exactly how the Leafs had hoped when they used a second rounder on him. Kind of a strange point.

Korshkov is a 2nd round bust but has the same amount of points as the first rounder. Yikes. I guess Korshkov is exactly where we should have hoped he'd be as well.

This thread is about Frederic, though. Odd of you to bring up the Leafs unprovoked.

Reactions: Brobust

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I see you added a piece about Korskhov. No one would say that Korshkov has developed exactly how the Leafs had hoped when they used a second rounder on him. Kind of a strange point.

I added it to give you context about that particular draft. It was a weak one and a team two picks later used their pick on a double overager longshot prospect.

So, yeah, I think he's worked out just about how the Bruins expected.

I think the grownups drafting realize that at the end of the 1st round you're happy with any kind of NHL player and anything beyond that is a bonus. Of course, you'd only have to look through the history of the draft to see that for yourself.

Finally, judging a player on his stats in his first 30 games is stupid.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I added it to give you context about that particular draft. It was a weak one and a team two picks later used their pick on a double overager longshot prospect.

So, yeah, I think he's worked out just about how the Bruins expected.

I think the grownups drafting realize that at the end of the 1st round you're happy with any kind of NHL player and anything beyond that is a bonus. Of course, you'd only have to look through the history of the draft to see that for yourself.

Finally, judging a player on his stats in his first 30 games is stupid.
I think you're confused. Never did I say Frederic was a bad player. He's a useful player for sure. You're letting your feelings and poor grammar get in the way of logical thought.

Frederic is a nice player but to say that a team would use a first round pick on a player and be completely thrilled with a 4th line grinder type 5-6 years later is just flat wrong. I am certain they hoped for more on draft day.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think you're confused. Never did I say Frederic was a bad player. He's a useful player for sure. You're letting your feelings and poor grammar get in the way of logical thought.

Frederic is a nice player but to say that a team would use a first round pick on a player and be completely thrilled with a 4th line grinder type 5-6 years later is just flat wrong. I am certain they hoped for more on draft day.

You're wrong.

Congrats on finding a typo, it's the only thing you've added to this thread.

I gave you a word-for-word quote from a scout on the day they drafted him. He's on course for what they wanted/expected from him. I also didn't say they were 'thrilled'. So since you 'no' so much about words, use the right one, maybe it will help you construct a logical thought.

This is all pretty hilarious coming from a Leafs fan though. Liljegren is one year older than Frederic and what is he? An 11th defenseman? And you all pretended he was the steal of the draft for how many years?

The reality is that you 'no' nothing about what's realistic drafting at #29 and you tried to score a cheap point and you look stupid and you're trying to score grammar points now, which compounds the embarrassment.

Now do you want to add something to this thread about Frederic? Have you seen him play? How many times? Tell us about the strengths and weaknesses of his game? Add something to this thread or peace out.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I'm sure they would have hoped he becomes a star as does every team when they draft a player. however, the reality is that he has a chance to carve out a solid NHL career which is far more then many of those drafted after him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You're wrong.

Congrats on finding a typo, it's the only thing you've added to this thread.

I gave you a word-for-word quote from a scout on the day they drafted him. He's on course for what they wanted/expected from him. I also didn't say they were 'thrilled'. So since you 'no' so much about words, use the right one.

This is all pretty hilarious coming from a Leafs fan though. Liljegren is one year older than Frederic and what is he? An 11th defenseman? And you all pretended he was the steal of the draft for how many years?

The reality is that you 'no' nothing about what's realistic drafting at #29 and you tried to score a cheap point and you look stupid and you're trying to score grammar points now, which compounds the embarrassment.

Now do you want to add something to this thread about Frederic? Have you seen him play? How many times? Tell us about the strengths and weaknesses of his game? Add something to this thread or peace out.
Again, there's no need to be insecure. This is a thread about Trent Frederic. This isn't a thread about the Leafs. Let me steer you back on topic.

You posted a quote that said they don't expect him to be in the top 2 lines. They didn't state 'we expect a fourth line scrub with our first round pick 5 years from now'. I'm certain they expected more offensive upside and more than a face puncher that works hard in the corners.

It's okay to be a homer, as long as you own up to it. No team in the league looks for a fourth liner in the first round. Does it happen? Yes, of course. All management groups expect more out of a first round pick. This isn't opinion (as your posts seem to be comprised of). This is just fact. Sorry this hurts your feelings.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm sure they would have hoped he becomes a star as does every team when they draft a player. however, the reality is that he has a chance to carve out a solid NHL career which is far more then many of those drafted after him.
Definitely more than fair and some first round picks even bust out and don't make the NHL at all! It's just absolutely wild and untrue to suggest that a team hoped for a 4th liner out of a first round pick. It's diluted.

Reactions: ConnorMcNugesaitl

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Again, there's no need to be insecure. This is a thread about Trent Frederic. This isn't a thread about the Leafs. Let me steer you back on topic.

You posted a quote that said they don't expect him to be in the top 2 lines. They didn't state 'we expect a fourth line scrub with our first round pick 5 years from now. I'm certain they expected more offensive upside and more than a face puncher that works hard in the corners.

It's okay to be a homer, as long as you own up to it. No team in the league looks for a fourth liner in the first round. Does it happen, yes of course. All management groups expect more out of a first round pick. This isn't opinion (as your posts seem to be comprised of). This is just fact. Sorry this hurts your feelings.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad