Confirmed with Link: Trent Cull hired to coach Calgary Wranglers

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Ooof, as a Canucks fan I feel for you. He was awful and imo stalled a lot of prospect development. Hopefully he’s learned from his mistakes.

• Wow
Reactions: deleted user

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I am not overly concerned. The Canucks had some of the worst organizational depth among NHL teams during his stint in Utica/Abbotsford with very little quality to work with on the farm.

Conroy has stated on numerous occasions that the AHL is a developmental league and that the kids need to play, so I highly doubt he would hire a guy with a different philosophy than that.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Trent Cull was an excellent coach in Sudbury at the OHL level. Probably our best coach we've had. Surprised he didn't translate in Vancouver because I still think he's got what it takes.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Trent Cull was an excellent coach in Sudbury at the OHL level. Probably our best coach we've had. Surprised he didn't translate in Vancouver because I still think he's got what it takes.

What was he good at that you consider him the best coach Sudbury had?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
What was he good at that you consider him the best coach Sudbury had?
Had a great system, players developed well under him. Josh Leivo turned from a guy who didn't look like he'd get drafted to a solid prospect, Sgarbossa became an ohl leading scorer under him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Had a great system, players developed well under him. Josh Leivo turned from a guy who didn't look like he'd get drafted to a solid prospect, Sgarbossa became an ohl leading scorer under him.

Good at developing young players is good to hear. What type of system did he deploy?

The Flames have been working towards having our farm team as a true development league where they'd insulate the prospects, but game on the line, they'd still give the kids a chance on the ice to learn.

I'm not completely familiar with the system Huska deployed in Kelowna nor am I sure whether he will deploy that same system for the Flames. I'm curious whether Cull has a system similar to it or at least a philosophy similar to what the Flames are looking for.

Philosophy wise, I do believe our previous AHL coaches did find it weird the Flames brass wanted development well over pure W/L and it was a transition they had to embrace. However, they were more than happy to embrace it once they understood that the Flames indeed were truthfully looking at a different KPI than W/L at the AHL level. I think after a while, the W/L ratio followed and improved once the key prospects developed and improved.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00